1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Yes, I read the sticky, but I have a few questions!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tacomalex, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    tacomalex

tacomalex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I have an OME suspension lift I ordered from toyteclifts.com along with a diff drop and driveshaft carrier drop coming my way.

I've lurked enough to have a decent idea of what to expect, and to know that I probably need some new UCA's but I will get into that later..

My first question is, how hard is this going to be to install? I love working on my truck, I am by no means a mechanic but I've dabbled. I just wanna know how alot of you guys went about doing it so I can have some sort of game plan put together.

My second question is, who else has bought, installed, seen, or know anything about the lift I bought? What's the least amount of lift I could get from it? I'm pretty sure I could get 1 1/2 in the rear and only 2 up front, along with a 1/4 spacer on the driver side to take care of the classic "taco lean" I've read about and seen myself.

Thirdly, I wanna hear people banter back and forth about how I'll either be fine with my stock UCA's, or how important it is for me to get some aftermarket UCA's before I do anything..

Another thing, I'm pretty sure after I install this lift I'll have to go get my alignment done? If that's so I'll just drive her straight to a shop and have the front end aligned.

Also, if anyone has any tips or tricks that they figured out themselves, but wish they knew right off the bat, feel free to let me know. I'd rather measure twice and cut once, so I'm wanting to go into this project with all the knowledge I can.

I know I'm asking alot, but from what I've seen you guys on this site love talking about your trucks as much as I do!

Thanks!

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What coils did you get ?

3. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I got an access cab I4 so I went with the 884's

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Good luck! See responses in bold.

Edit: Dammit, OZ, you're too quick!

5. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Well covered by Pugga

6. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OP , are you getting an AAL or Dakars ?

7. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    thanks alot Pugga.

I got all your basic hand tools, a good ratchet set, a few specialty tools I've bought when I needed them on other projects. Also I got my buddy coming in town on leave next week when I plan on doing it, so he's gonna be there to help.

I figure my tools paired with a long metal pipe I'll be able to get all the bolts off no problem ; )

once I check out everything I'm going to replace and install, along with the directions, I'll go through and make sure I got all the tools I need to get the install rolling.

and I'll be sure to let you all know how I fair with stock uca's, if the ride is any worse after the install and alignment I'll go ahead and drop the cash to get new ones, but as of right now I'd like to hold on the extra cash.

btw, what is PB Blaster? haha and what nuts? the one's I'm taking off or the ones I'm putting on?

I'm also gonna start a build thread after this, just so I can give a little back to the forum I've taken so much from! : )

8. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    ^^^ x2 all the way around.....

PB blaster in advance, over and over
    Air tools help A LOT... especially on the u bolts....fucking u bolts
    Yes, get an allignment, and that will show weather you need new UCA's

My experience is in the 1st gen territorry but the best piece of advice to make life easier (im sure it applies to 2nd gens also) i read from a member on here and applied it to my situation..... when your trying to get the bottom bolt hole on the new strut to line up to put the bolt thru, put a bottle jack on top of the uca so it presses against the wheel well and pushes the uca down. Like i said, this is from experience on a 1st gen but it would have been the only problem to speak of that i ran into. People on here have tons of info and tips... Good Luck.

9. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I got the AAL, that's one thing in particular I was wondering about. Any special tools needed to put that sucker on?

10. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    facemob

facemob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    1st state
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Manual, TRD
    OME 881, Nitrochargers front and rear, diff drop, Wheelers 3 Leaf AAL, Supertop, shitty brush guard and a hole in the muffler
    pb blaster, gogle it.awesome stuff. helps break rusted bolts and nuts loose. Use it

11. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    PB Blaster is a penetrating oil. You spray down the nuts that you will have to loosen or remove the night before so they come off a little easier the next day.

12. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You're gonna need a coil spring compressor

13. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    couple of c-clamp are nice to have hold the pack together and grinder to make short work of the center pins.

that kit with AAL come with u-bolts?

14. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I planned on taking the coils to a shop and having them put em on for me. and I don't have a grinder. Could I take it the center pin off without one?

and I really don't know, I ordered some so I may have two sets, but thats fine by me.

also in that write up bjmoose did he ended up needing a sway bar relocate. I'm thinking it may be a good idea to go ahead and get myself one and put it on while I'm already under there. thoughts?

15. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:44 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    oh and I got plenty of clamps, and I'll be sure to pick up some pb blaster the day before!

16. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:50 PM
    JonnyBb

JonnyBb I have to return some videotapes

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Pro (upgrade from my 2nd gen)
    Work in progress, but mods so far; OTT 7.0 tune, 255/85/16 Falken WildPeak M/Ts
    you can get that pin off with a wrench and visegrips. a grinder just makes it a little easier to cut the bolt down one you install the new one in the leaf pack. not a necessity.

i didn't need to install a sway bar relocate. however, every truck is different.

as far as UCAs go, if you have the cash you might consider putting them on since you'll already have it apart. i didn't put UCAs on mine at the time and now i regret it.

17. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I'll get it all together, get the front end aligned and see how everything fits together. Hopefully there's not too much else I'll need to do to it, mainly because I don't have alot of cash to throw into my truck right now.

oh and let me give a shout out to blueyota! I got some fog lights and a skid plate coming my way from him, so pumped to get those on as well!

18. Jun 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    tacomalex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    I really need to make a build thread.. CAI, suspension lift, fog lights, skid plate, nerf steps. this site is gonna bankrupt me!

19. Jun 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Pretty much... I came on here cause I was searching google and found the TSBs. Since then I tore apart a perfectly good set of headlights, replaced working bulbs with 'better' ones, bought an HID kit, replaced the grille, bought a shell, an ultragauge and some recovery equipment and completely replaced the truck's suspension (and that's the short list)...

Products Discussed in

To Top