Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

UCA separated from truck

Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
rackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura about
rackatak's Tacoma Gallery
UCA separated from truck

Ok, background on my truck first. 3" skyjacker lift AAL in the rear, swaybar removed, Built Right UCAs, Sport wheels, and 265/70/17 Kumho Mojave AT tires. Now onto my problem, today when I pulled into a parking space I bumped the curb and heard/felt a clunk in the front end. Got out check the truck, no damage or anything out of the ordinary. I get done eating lunch come back out and as I am backing out of the space I feel like something is rubbing so I get out to check on the tires and I find the passenger side tire is caved into the frame. I look closer and the rear of my UCA is slammed into the header. Looks like the bolt has been pulled out of the sleeve that holds the UCAs to the truck. Anyways after I have it towed to my house I look at it again and now the driver side tire is doing the same thing but not to the same degree as passenger side. I look at it and it has the exact same problem, looks like the bolt has been pulled through the sleeve. Now my question is what the hell is going on? Did the nuts just come off? Did the bolts snap under some type of pressure being applied when I bumped the curb? My truck is mainly used on road at highway speeds, I go out once a month and play in the mud, dirt and rocks(kinda, I am a prerunner). What did I miss? I've got photos of the UCAs through the wheel well on both sides.
Attached Thumbnails
UCA separated from truck-2011-06-29_19-21-19_141.jpg   UCA separated from truck-2011-06-29_19-21-37_966.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks. Did you torque them down or hand tighten?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
rackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura aboutrackatak has a spectacular aura about
I torqued them down. I can't remember what the specs were, I need to research and find them again.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
holy shit thats crazy, lucky it happened in the parking lot. so did the bolt break, is it there or did it completely fall out? now ill probly check mine
Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
If torqued to spec there's no way in hell that should happen without the bolt shearing.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Yeah very lucky, considering this morning I was doing 80 down the highway getting to work. I am not sure yet. I am getting a jack and tools to work on it tomorrow. The bolt is still in there, can't tell if it snapped off the nut or the nut came unscrewed.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 AM   #8
Tacoma Joe is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
Tacoma Joe's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know the torque for the bolts ? I'll be replacing my bushings soon and havent seen the torque spec anywhere yet. Other question- how do you fit a torque wrench in there ?
Old 06-30-2011, 04:58 AM   #9
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Joe View Post
Anyone know the torque for the bolts ? I'll be replacing my bushings soon and havent seen the torque spec anywhere yet. Other question- how do you fit a torque wrench in there ?
i belive its 85ft lbs
Old 06-30-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Use red locktite.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #11
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, how can that happen without the bolt coming out or shearing?....was the rubbage on the UCA in that one pic before or after this happened?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like the nuts are missing and the bolts "walked out" of the sleeve over time.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
You fit a torque wrench in there with a lil force and proper application of four letter words.

The rubbing came from when it buckled and the tire rubbed on it when I was turning.

I'm going by the stealership today to get replacement bolts and nuts. Hopefully that's all I need.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Looks like the nuts are missing and the bolts "walked out" of the sleeve over time.
Bolts don't have legs. They can't walk. You stop it with your lies!

But seriously..that's probably what happened.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Bolts don't have legs. They can't walk. You stop it with your lies!

But seriously..that's probably what happened.
That is what I'm thinking. I went back and found my notes from when I installed the UCAs and the torque specs I had at the time were only 65lbs...I've heard from multiple people now it should be closer to 85lbs. So doesn't surprise me they "walked out"
Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Welcome to the abusement park.
bschmitt09 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
bschmitt09's Tacoma Gallery
Sucks man, hope theres no other damage as a result of this.

After you fix it, retorque after a few drives to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:27 AM   #17
Absolutely, I will be spending all day tomorrow trying to get this stuff back together. I need a new floor jack cause my old one won't lift the truck with a 3" lift. Found that out this morning. Kinda funny when you fully flex your jack and your tires are still on the ground. I'll be checking every bolt I ever touched on the truck now.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of2009Silver has much to be proud of

2009Silver's Tacoma Gallery
Perhaps you torqued to 65 inch lb's?? Stranger things have happened...
Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be stunned if you snapped one of those bolts. They'll bend long before they break. I've snapped an upper control arm in half and bent a gusseted spindle on separate occasions and both times the bolts only bent.

I'm currently running custom longer bolts with jam nuts to avoid the issue you just experienced.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackatak View Post
Absolutely, I will be spending all day tomorrow trying to get this stuff back together. I need a new floor jack cause my old one won't lift the truck with a 3" lift. Found that out this morning. Kinda funny when you fully flex your jack and your tires are still on the ground. I'll be checking every bolt I ever touched on the truck now.
4x4 block between the jack and the jacking point. Problem solved.