Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Front 5100 Install Tip

Old 07-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
pollock21's Tacoma Gallery
Front 5100 Install Tip

Installed all four 5100's tonight. Struggled with the front for a while, then figured out what we needed to do. I followed all the basic steps, but I've seen a lot of unnecessary work that people have done. Sorry for no pics, but I'll do my best in the write up.

Get the front up and both wheels off. That's the big key, working on both fronts at the same time. I removed the upper sway bar end link, a jack under the LCA works wonders getting the hub assembly in the sweet spot. I then removed the bottom bolt holding the shock in place and the top three bolts.

Next you'll want to take off the castle nut under the uca. Once I got that loose, I noticed a lot of tension on the abs sensor line. There's a 10mm bolt that holds it to the hub assembly. I removed that bolt and pulled the wire out of a little metal flange above it that holds the wire up towards the top of the uca.

That worked wonders taking all the stress off that wire. My buddy and I had a terrible time getting the stock shock out. I read where some people disconnect the steering linkage, but here's the simple fix. Go through the same steps on the other side of the truck, and just rotate the entire sway bar out of the way. At that point, the stock shock assembly was a piece of cake to remove and the 5100 was cake to get back in. Reassemble everything and you're done.

I highly recommend this method for everyone installing the fronts on your own, the key is to get the front sway bar disconnected on both sides and rotate it out of the way, and you'll have plenty of room to get the shock in and out. I hope this helps some of you guys!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

One more tip I forgot to mention, make sure your buddy doesn't start to rotate the sway bar out of the way when you're holding the bottom of it, because you'll smash your pinkie finger pretty good between the bottom of the coil spring and the sway bar! Didn't feel good.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
You sir saved me about an hour last night. Install took about 2 hours for the fronts. Thank you.

Bill
Old 07-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Pollock, thanks for the tips, I'm about to embark on the 5100 installation adventure on thursday. Did you take any pics during your installation?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Sorry, no pics. I studied a lot of the installs on here and the one's with pics will show you basically where everything is located. Just ignore removed the toe rods or the sway bar mounts and follow my method of removing the end links on both sides and rotating it out of the way.

We also had a cordless Dewalt impact driver and that thing is sick. It did everything we'd normally use an air impact for. It removed the lug nuts off the wheels, removed all bolts under the truck with ease. Also had enough torque to tighten the spring compressor.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:23 AM   #6

Getting ready to install my next lift, and wanted to bump this up for the DIY'ers out there.