LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1" aal?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
1" aal?

Can I get a 1" AAL?

Stock, the back appears to be about 2" higher than the front. I'm putting a 3" lift on the front (maybe 3 1/2") so that will put the front 1 to 1 1/2" higher than the back. Then, I'm doing the read TSB, raising the back about 1"-ish. So, the back is still going to be potentially lower than the front, especially after then back settles. And I actually like the back being a touch higher...

But ToyTec sells a 2" AAL. Anyone know of someone offering a 1" AAL?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 PM   #2
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Can I get a 1" AAL?

Stock, the back appears to be about 2" higher than the front. I'm putting a 3" lift on the front (maybe 3 1/2") so that will put the front 1 to 1 1/2" higher than the back. Then, I'm doing the read TSB, raising the back about 1"-ish. So, the back is still going to be potentially lower than the front, especially after then back settles. And I actually like the back being a touch higher...

But ToyTec sells a 2" AAL. Anyone know of someone offering a 1" AAL?
If you're not doing any heavy towing,why not scratch the tsb leaf & just go w/ the 2" aal?? That would leave a 1" rake.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
roadbiker is on a distinguished road
roadbiker's Tacoma Gallery
AAL's

Hey Jason,

I just put the 3" Toytec kit on my 09 DC 4X4 Sport on Sunday. The AAL's lifted the rear 3", but I'm guessing it will sag some eventually. I put 5100's all around and used stock settings in front with the OME 885's and got 2.5" of lift without putting the added spacer in. I'm planning on modifying the AAL's to not lift as much cause it's a little tail high right now, but I'll wait a few weeks first. I saw your other post about the difficulty of this install, I would say get someone who works on cars to help you. Just a tip, I took the front shock assy to Pep Boys and they compressed the springs for $20 each, 4 wheel parts wanted $240 and an appointment (they are such a rip off) to do the same thing. The rental spring compressors you find at most auto parts stores will do honda springs easily but these 885's are pretty stout. I have my own compressors and they wouldn't fit the 885's very well cause of the thickness and relatively tight windings. If anyone can tell me how much I can expect the AAL's to sag please let me know. Thanks, George
Old 10-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #5
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
Hey Jason,

I just put the 3" Toytec kit on my 09 DC 4X4 Sport on Sunday. The AAL's lifted the rear 3", but I'm guessing it will sag some eventually. I put 5100's all around and used stock settings in front with the OME 885's and got 2.5" of lift without putting the added spacer in. I'm planning on modifying the AAL's to not lift as much cause it's a little tail high right now, but I'll wait a few weeks first. I saw your other post about the difficulty of this install, I would say get someone who works on cars to help you. Just a tip, I took the front shock assy to Pep Boys and they compressed the springs for $20 each, 4 wheel parts wanted $240 and an appointment (they are such a rip off) to do the same thing. The rental spring compressors you find at most auto parts stores will do honda springs easily but these 885's are pretty stout. I have my own compressors and they wouldn't fit the 885's very well cause of the thickness and relatively tight windings. If anyone can tell me how much I can expect the AAL's to sag please let me know. Thanks, George
Thanks for the heads up about Pep Boys. That might be worth the $40 simply from a safety perspective... I'll call them tomorrow.

Also, you mentioned for me to "get someone who works on cars to help" me. Exactly which part of the install did you (or you think I might) find challenging? I have read a lot on the topic over the past two weeks and between that and watching a few videos on YouTube, I think I have a pretty good grasp on what's involved. Of course, it's always the stuff you don't know or anticipate that will bite you (hence the reason I'm asking ).
Old 10-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
Hey Jason,

I really helps just to have an extra set of hands, for example just getting the shock assy out of the lower cup you have to push down on the lower a-arms pretty hard just to get enough room to get the shock assy out. I did it myself, but found I was using knees, feet, what whatever apendage I had to push or hold parts while manuvering the assy out. I did find that the 5100's were even tougher to get in, and that's without having the extra 1/2" spacer on top. I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable pushing down that hard on the lower a-arms the get enough room to get the shock in with the spacers on top. I'm not sure if it's just the rubber in the a-arm bushings that don't allow the a-arms to just swing down, but they don't. And yes, I did take the 2 bolts out of the bottom of the wheel assy that attaches to the a-arm. Any other questions, be glad to help while it's still fresh in my mind. George
Old 10-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
a little trick i learned and tried to teach will when we did his (this works for 1st gens...unsure of 2nd gens)

If you leave the spindle attached etc and ONLY undo the coil/strut hardware...and you need to move the lca down to pull the assembly out of the coil bucket, if you put your bottle jack upside down in the fenderwell between the fender and the uca...you can jack the arms down enough to get the coil in and out relatively easy
Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey Jason,

I really helps just to have an extra set of hands, for example just getting the shock assy out of the lower cup you have to push down on the lower a-arms pretty hard just to get enough room to get the shock assy out. I did it myself, but found I was using knees, feet, what whatever apendage I had to push or hold parts while manuvering the assy out. I did find that the 5100's were even tougher to get in, and that's without having the extra 1/2" spacer on top. I'm not sure I would have felt comfortable pushing down that hard on the lower a-arms the get enough room to get the shock in with the spacers on top. I'm not sure if it's just the rubber in the a-arm bushings that don't allow the a-arms to just swing down, but they don't. And yes, I did take the 2 bolts out of the bottom of the wheel assy that attaches to the a-arm. Any other questions, be glad to help while it's still fresh in my mind. George
Thanks a ton! I am already lining up help to perform the install, but didn't know if you were meaning I needed an extra set of hands or if there was some secret mechanical knowledge that was needed...

How long did the install take you? I was planning to start it on a Friday after work so that I could take it in for alignment on Saturday.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Thanks a ton! I am already lining up help to perform the install, but didn't know if you were meaning I needed an extra set of hands or if there was some secret mechanical knowledge that was needed...

How long did the install take you? I was planning to start it on a Friday after work so that I could take it in for alignment on Saturday.
having absolutely ZERO knowledge of what i was doing, I installed my Sway-a-ways and 3leaf aal in an afternoon
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Hey Tigerfan,
Never thought of that, I'll have to remember that one. Thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
That's kinda what I figured. It really doesn't look very involved when you get down to it.
once the spacers are on the coils...thats an easy step to put the coils in

the aal is a little bit trickier in that you have to make sure to put c clamps on the leaf pack to keep them lined up...

both times ive done suspension work, ive had issues putting the rear shocks on...i eventually get it but sometimes i have to really wrestle and fight the shocks to go onto the tabs
Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
Hey Jason,
It took me longer than tigerfan. Probably 6 hours considering I had to run to Pep boys for the compression part. Remember when working on cars, something always goes wrong, gets stuck, or you find you you're missing 1 tool. Don't forget to lock tite the fasteners, don't want something falling off out in the middle of nowhere. George
Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
As for the 1" AAL, see if you can have a local spring shop make you one.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Hey Jason,
It took me longer than tigerfan. Probably 6 hours considering I had to run to Pep boys for the compression part. Remember when working on cars, something always goes wrong, gets stuck, or you find you you're missing 1 tool. Don't forget to lock tite the fasteners, don't want something falling off out in the middle of nowhere. George
Do I need to torque any of the bolts or just tighten real good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
As for the 1" AAL, see if you can have a local spring shop make you one.
I think I'm gonna go with the 2" AAL for the back. They come in pairs (one for both sides), correct? (http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53)
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do I need to torque any of the bolts or just tighten real good?

I think I'm gonna go with the 2" AAL for the back. They come in pairs (one for both sides), correct? (http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53)
Yep, they are sold in pairs.