Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Sway-A-Way 2.0/2.5 heim replacement *PICS*

Old 07-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Sway-A-Way 2.0/2.5 heim replacement *PICS*

My front passenger side was squeaking very loud. I place a floor jack underneath the LCA to discover that it was the lower part of the coil over. I sprayed some Tri-Flow and the squeak went a way for a while. After doing a lot of reading I narrowed it down to a worn out heim. The teflon in the heim breaks down and if you don't replace it soon enough it will wear through the body of the coil over. When doing the research I found very few pictures but nothing in detail. Below are the steps I took.

The first step is to remove the spacers. I placed a small flat head screwdriver in the middle of the spacer and hammered it out. You can do this with both sides. You need to pay attention to the long spacer and the short spacer. You can see that I labeled my coil over "L" and "S" for long and short.

Spacers

Hammering the spacer out

Spacers removed

When you first remove the spacers it's hard to find the retaining clip. The tip of my screwdriver is touching the tip of the retaining clip. I used a small pair of needle nose to remove the clip.

Removing the retaining clip can be a pain in the ass. You can see in this picture the clip is removed and you can see the slot where it was placed. Please note that these newer SAW's only have one clip on each coil over.

The other side does not have a retaining clip. The body of the coil over has a stopper built in. From that non retaining clip side I used a 9/16" socket and placed it on the heim and hammered it until it got loose. I was patient even though it was barely moving. I finally gave it one good smash and it came out.

This is the teflon that just fell out when I took out the heim.

When you install the retaining clip you have to feed it in the slot so in this picture I was practicing before I installed the heim.

Installing the new heim. I read many different articles where guys would freeze the heim making it easier to install. I let it sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes but most guys let it sit 20 mins.

I used a socket that fit on the edges of the heim but not touching the center part and hammered it in.

The heim fully inserted with the slot for the retaining clip showing.

The heim fully inserted from the other side pressed up against the stopper.

Inserting the retaining clip

Fully inserted

When ordering parts for the 2.0 or 2.5 make sure you order the COM-10T which is the 5/8" heim bearing. The older SAW's use smaller heims and clips that don't fit.
Part number-Heim Bearing, Com-10T (5/8” ID) 56702-001
Part number- Retaining Ring, 5/8” Bearing 56701-001

Here's a link from a description.
http://polyperformance.com/shop/Sway...s-p-18265.html
Old 07-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
good right up, im sure this will be very helpful to someone
Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #4
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
the residue is from the tri-flow spray combined with mojave desert dirt. my other coil over doesn't have residue.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
the residue is from the tri-flow spray combined with mojave desert dirt. my other coil over doesn't have residue.
Oh , thought your coilovers were leakin.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up. Is this a common problem with coilovers? This is the first time i've heard of this.

Should be a sticky.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's common with SAW's, not sure about other coil overs. it's just part of the wear and tear they go through.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
My Truck is making some funny squeaks up front also. I know my Steering rack was bad but i fixed that i think i might have the same problem. How many miles do you have on your SAW C/O? I am at about 20K

Also sub great write up! Rep coming to you.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #9

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
I think my co's have about 50k miles. if you're getting a loud squeak, place a floor jack underneath the LCA and lift it up and down to hear the squeak. a problem I had was it didn't always squeak. I had to find the squeak while it was making noise. when I heard the squeak I sprayed triflow down the shaft and through the bottom bolt and the squeak went away.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #10
Camburg :)
Ptowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPtowntaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryce
Ptowntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I think my co's have about 50k miles. if you're getting a loud squeak, place a floor jack underneath the LCA and lift it up and down to hear the squeak. a problem I had was it didn't always squeak. I had to find the squeak while it was making noise. when I heard the squeak I sprayed triflow down the shaft and through the bottom bolt and the squeak went away.
Ok thanks i will have to look into this. The squeaks are killing me!
Old 07-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #11

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
my squeaking was very loud. other cars would turn their heads and look.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
E-Fabber
Anthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAnthony250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
Anthony250's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-TRAIN View Post
Marked, Awsome write up.
Anybody know if icons can be repaired in a similar fashion ?
Yes, but depends what style clip they are held in by.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 AM   #15
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony250 View Post
Yes, but depends what style clip they are held in by.
cool deal, i am going to do mine. i called icon 4 or 5 months back about it, they said the kit was only like $15, not sure if that includes the clips. i will just get some of those also, in case i jack up the originals.

i am so tired of spraying that thing with tri-flo.
have to do it 1 to 2 times a week. didn't want to take them off and ship them back unless they needed to be rebuilt, although i do have 55,000 miles on them. this looks like a great project for after hunting season is over.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #16

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Good thing I wrote this because I had to resort back to it to change my driver side heim.

Unfortunately Webshots deleted all the pictures when they changed names. However, the write-up offers a good amount of information.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #17
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
When you get a chance could you fix the pictures?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #18

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good thing I wrote this because I had to resort back to it to change my driver side heim.

Unfortunately Webshots deleted all the pictures when they changed names. However, the write-up offers a good amount of information.
I don't have the pictures anymore. Is there something you need help with?
Old 02-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #19
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have the pictures anymore. Is there something you need help with?
I think I got it figured out, thanks for the offer! I was just hoping for pictures for reference.