Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Cracked Uniball - Both of them?!?!?

Old 07-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #1
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Cracked Uniball - Both of them?!?!?

BOTH (left and right side) of my uniballs are cracked and missing small chunk of material along the bottom side of the ball joint in my Downsouth Motorsporst UCAs!! Only a few hundred or more miles and street driven ONLY so far. Both are damaged identically. W-T-F is the issue here????
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked Uniball - Both of them?!?!?-img_8728mod.jpg   Cracked Uniball - Both of them?!?!?-img_8726.jpg  
Old 07-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Thats just the mis-alignment spacer. I have done that to mine before also. It happened to mine when I was in a rush and tightened things back up with the arms at full drop. I didnt make that mistake twice, those little spacers are pricey.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Blkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant futureBlkturbo! has a brilliant future

Name: Sean
Blkturbo!'s Tacoma Gallery
Can it be driven like this untill i get back to my mechanic to replace them? Is this my mechanic's fault for what looks like is the snap ring that cracked it? I wonder if it happened like how yours broke, or if mine broke from this snap ring while driving?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
A7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedA7XTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
A7XTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I thought that's what happens when a spacer lift is used?
Old 07-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
I drove mine for a while but its hard to tell the extent of damage on yours. What happened to me was that the arms were at full drop and with the bolt loose the alignment spacer fell out of the uni-ball. As you tighten things up the edge of the mis-alignment spacer that meets the uni-ball (where yours are broken off) catches on the C-clip and as you tighten down it breaks off that side of the spacer.

To avoid this I lacked up the lower control arm so the spindle would meet the upper control arm in a more horizontal position and tighten to spec.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
What happened to me was that the arms were at full drop and with the bolt loose the alignment spacer fell out of the uni-ball. As you tighten things up the edge of the mis-alignment spacer that meets the uni-ball (where yours are broken off) catches on the C-clip and as you tighten down it breaks off that side of the spacer.

To avoid this I lacked up the lower control arm so the spindle would meet the upper control arm in a more horizontal position and tighten to spec.
X2. I did a similar thing with my All-Pro UCAs, except the lip of the spacer bent instead of breaking off. (It's possible All-Pro doesn't heat treat the spacer as hard as DSM did, which would have made the steel more brittle.)

To Blkturbo: In addition to a new spacer, order a new bolt and nut from DSM as well. Because the spacer wasn't seated properly when torqued down, the bolt may have been bent, eaten into the spacer bore, etc.