Notices

Suggestions Appreciated...Leafs Possibly Flattened

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
cobb.bd is on a distinguished road
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Suggestions Appreciated...Leafs Possibly Flattened

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a '98 Tacoma Pre-Runner with 105,000 miles after selling my beloved '07 FJ Cruiser trying to "consolidate debt."

I have been searching the forum for days now and cannot find an answer or solution to what I am looking for. I have gone through the Tacoma and replaced all fluids and performed the 90K, 100k, and 105K maintenances per the Toyota service manual. I thought all was well until I loaded the truck up with a 1/2 cord of wood and realized that over the slightest dip I was hitting the bump stops. I am not planning on any offroading with the vehicle, but my wife and I love to camp. After the wood was unloaded it was replaced with our camping gear. Cruising down the freeway, the Tacoma was swaying and hitting the bump stops on dips. Once we hit the trail leading to the campground it was the same story. After we got home, I unloaded the Tacoma and took a look at the leaf springs, I never paid much attention to them before, but they are looking a little flat.

I am not necessairly looking to lift the vehicle, but I would like it to be level and able to carry our caming gear without issue (it also has a SnugTop Canopy). I had planned on replacing the shocks, but it seems I will need to do something else as well.

I would appreciate any input you may have. Please keep in mind that I would also like to keep it "budget friendly" hence the original debt consolidation. Also I have been experiencing some axle wrap if that helps with the reccomendations.

I included a picture of the leaf springs for assisstance.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions Appreciated...Leafs Possibly Flattened-imag0096.jpg  
Old 07-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

The 4 leaf pack from Wheeler's does not give any lift but it does give you a lot better leafs. Look into these. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
at the very least an add a leaf is in order though that may not be the only problem and i'm not sure if that would even do the trick seeing as they are flat as a pancake lol.

a new leaf pack may be in order but, that would def be the costlier option. hopefully someone else can chime in for you. hope this helps a little not sure what i know you can get a complete lift for around 3 to 4 hundred dollars. good luck
Old 07-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt man hans View Post
at the very least an add a leaf is in order though that may not be the only problem and i'm not sure if that would even do the trick seeing as they are flat as a pancake lol.

a new leaf pack may be in order but, that would def be the costlier option. hopefully someone else can chime in for you. hope this helps a little not sure what i know you can get a complete lift for around 3 to 4 hundred dollars. good luck

An Add a leaf will just be a waste of $70 in the long run IMO. Those leafs are shot like a lot of 1st gen. leafs.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
i figured as much. just going for the cheapest option for the guy thats all.
I wish it could be a cheap fix. I had to pull the trigger on new leafs just 2 weeks ago. It's not cheap, but it's worth it for these trucks!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
I have been looking at the Wheeler's leaf packs, but it was on the costlier side.

I have also been looing at the AAL systems out there, many options, but like YellowDog01 said, I don't want to waste $70.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDog01 View Post
An Add a leaf will just be a waste of $70 in the long run IMO. Those leafs are shot like a lot of 1st gen. leafs.
x2! Don't waste your money delaying the inevitable.
Quote:
I wish it could be a cheap fix. I had to pull the trigger on new leafs just 2 weeks ago. It's not cheap, but it's worth it for these trucks!
x2.
Quote:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacoleafs.htm

The 4 leaf pack from Wheeler's does not give any lift but it does give you a lot better leafs. Look into these. Good luck!
I went with their 5-leaf pack, and am very pleased with it. While I have no first-hand experience with the 4-leaf pack, I'm sure it's similar in quality. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
welcome to tw its a great site filled with info about our trucks. i have a set of factory shocks off of my 2010 reg cab not sure if they would work for you or not? i would be willing to give you both the fronts and the rears if it would help your situation out.
Thanks for the welcome, the forum is an invaluable tool. Also thanks for your consideration regarding the shocks.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
1st gens are notorious for having weak suspensions.

an AAL will help short term, as will having a shop re-arch your existing springs. but the more that you carry weight in the bed the faster those quick fixes will wear out. you may be on a budget but would you rather spend $$ money now knowing that you will have to spend $$$$ later?

also check the condition of your shocks - if they are worn out that could explain the swaying and swerving.

and check the steering rack bushings, they can wear out and cause sloppy steering. replacing them will make the steering much more responsive.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
1st gens are notorious for having weak suspensions.

an AAL will help short term, as will having a shop re-arch your existing springs. but the more that you carry weight in the bed the faster those quick fixes will wear out. you may be on a budget but would you rather spend $$ money now knowing that you will have to spend $$$$ later?

also check the condition of your shocks - if they are worn out that could explain the swaying and swerving.

and check the steering rack bushings, they can wear out and cause sloppy steering. replacing them will make the steering much more responsive.
I am not looking for a short term fix, so it is sounding like a replacement leaf pack is the way to go. Aslo, I do plan on replacing the shocks as well...any suggestions for my type of application?

I found these on sale today...any thoughts:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...t_pn=SKYTCR25S
Old 07-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #13
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Also, by replacing the rear leaf springs, will I have to replace the front coil springs as well?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #14
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
I am not looking for a short term fix, so it is sounding like a replacement leaf pack is the way to go. Aslo, I do plan on replacing the shocks as well...any suggestions for my type of application?

I found these on sale today...any thoughts:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...t_pn=SKYTCR25S
You do realize that that price is for a single leaf pack? So double for the pair=same price as the wheeler's leafs?

No experience with the skyjacker leafs but I like my set from wheelers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
Also, by replacing the rear leaf springs, will I have to replace the front coil springs as well?
not necessarily. you can do new leafs and new shocks but reuse the coil springs...you just won't see as much of a lift in the front.

a few threads that might be helpful to you...

my personal journey into the world of suspension upgrades

and our first wheelers group buy

and the 2nd group buy

a lot of BS in there but some useful info too
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck was unloaded during that pic you definitely need new leafs. I wouldn't bother with any used ones off a 1st gen because they're going to be nearly as old as yours and are going to go out soon too. The good news is the new leafs will last you a good 10+ years.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #16
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008taco View Post
If your truck was unloaded during that pic you definitely need new leafs. I wouldn't bother with any used ones off a 1st gen because they're going to be nearly as old as yours and are going to go out soon too. The good news is the new leafs will last you a good 10+ years.
Unfortunately, the truck was unloaded.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #17
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Any recommendations on a good package? Everything I am putting together is about $1000.00, I would like to stay well below that price range.

Also, what about the Firestone or AirLift packages?
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
x2! Don't waste your money delaying the inevitable.

x2.

I went with their 5-leaf pack, and am very pleased with it. While I have no first-hand experience with the 4-leaf pack, I'm sure it's similar in quality. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Yeah, I'm getting my 5 leaf pack installed today

If you are not satisfied with the load capacity of the 4 leaf pack, there is an Add a leaf designed for that leaf pack. Same with the 5 leaf pack.

OP, give Wheeler's a call...Dan is really helpful and I'm sure you can find what you need. They were really kind to me- I didn't want the Dakar leaf pack with my OME 881s-I wanted the Wheeler's 5 leaf pack and they gladly switched it out and it ended up to be less money for the whole setup!
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone had any experience with this kit? It appears it has everything I need.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index...metac04hk.html
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
I'm thinking...Dakar Leafs with Bilstien 5100 all the way around...thoughts or objections?

Products Discussed in this Thread