Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" vs 3 1/2"

Old 10-15-2008, 10:13 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
3" vs 3 1/2"

I'm looking at the adjustable coilovers from ToyTec and the 5100s set on the stock setting. The coilovers will adjust up to 3 1/2".

I have read on this forum that once you go over 3", you start putting too much pressure on the CV joints (or something like that). But, will 3 1/2" really be that much different than the 3" when it comes to premature wearing on suspension parts?

It should also be noted that I'm replacing my stock UCAs with the Total Chaos UCAs (if that makes a difference).

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
either way, u should be running a diff drop at anything greather than 2.5"
Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

well if u dont want the cv's angle to be too great and cause problems, then i'd say they are necessary. if i were to do any lift to a 4x4 i'd do some amount of diff drop on them. its very cheap and takes 5 minutes to do. definately worth it
Old 10-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
well if u dont want the cv's angle to be too great and cause problems, then i'd say they are necessary. if i were to do any lift to a 4x4 i'd do some amount of diff drop on them. its very cheap and takes 5 minutes to do. definately worth it
I actually just found some information about it with a 3 minute search on the forum... Should have done that first!

how much do I need to drop it? ToyTec offers a 1" diff drop. Is that enough for a 3 1/2" front lift? That's only in the front, right?
Old 10-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I actually just found some information about it with a 3 minute search on the forum... Should have done that first!

how much do I need to drop it? ToyTec offers a 1" diff drop. Is that enough for a 3 1/2" front lift? That's only in the front, right?
yeah. i have the 1" diff drop on my 3" lift. should be fine. its unbelieveably simple to install. its basically a longer bolt w/ washers, a nut, and a 1" aluminum spacer on it
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Cool. Thanks for the info! I'll call ToyTec and have it added to my order tomorrow morning. Only $30.
for sure...they shouldnt charge u shipping for it coming w/ another order either