Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

eibachs strong enough for plate bumper?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GA_TACO4x4's Tacoma Gallery
eibachs strong enough for plate bumper?

i'm gonna order a winch bumper in the coming weeks (most likely arb) and plan on upgrading my suspension at the same time. i have 5100s sitting in my room now but i need to get some coils. dont want 886s b/c i plan on staying under 3 inches...closer to 2" preferably. toytec says the eibachs are 620 lb rated. will these support the bumper and maybe a winch later down the road? anyone know what the 886 or 885 coils are rated?

TIA
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That rating is the spring rate. Stock I believe is 540#/in, Eibach's are 620#/in, 886's are 656#/in 885's and I believe 884's are 588#/in. The difference between the 885's and 884's are the length.

If you're planning on an ARB and a winch, I wouldn't go with the Eibachs... I would imagine they'd be rougher than hell with that kind of weight on them. Maybe the newer 885x coils?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
GA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGA_TACO4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
That rating is the spring rate. Stock I believe is 540#/in, Eibach's are 620#/in, 886's are 656#/in 885's and I believe 884's are 588#/in. The difference between the 885's and 884's are the length.

If you're planning on an ARB and a winch, I wouldn't go with the Eibachs... I would imagine they'd be rougher than hell with that kind of weight on them. Maybe the newer 885x coils?
Eibach's have a higher #/in rating than the 885x's. so im kinda confused why you'd say that. cause they're not as tall as the 885s?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_TACO4x4 View Post
Eibach's have a higher #/in rating than the 885x's. so im kinda confused why you'd say that. cause they're not as tall as the 885s?
Yes, that is correct, sorry, should have been more clear in my response. If you want to stay around 2" of lift, I'd go with the taller coil (885x). The Eibach coil provides just under 2" of lift before you add 200# to the front end. You could set the 5100's at .85 to compensate I suppose or just get a taller coil to begin with.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Yes, that is correct, sorry, should have been more clear in my response. If you want to stay around 2" of lift, I'd go with the taller coil (885x). The Eibach coil provides just under 2" of lift before you add 200# to the front end. You could set the 5100's at .85 to compensate I suppose or just get a taller coil to begin with.
no worries dude. im just trying to get all this info correct. my plan was to get the eibachs installed at .85 like you said, and possibly adding the .25" top plate spacer netting 2.6" and i figured everything would sag .25-.5" from the additional weight. but after i do all that the 885x seems like a simpler route. just worried about them holding up to the weight
Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no worries dude. im just trying to get all this info correct. my plan was to get the eibachs installed at .85 like you said, and possibly adding the .25" top plate spacer netting 2.6" and i figured everything would sag .25-.5" from the additional weight. but after i do all that the 885x seems like a simpler route. just worried about them holding up to the weight
Maybe hold off until you know what kind of weight you're going to be supporting. You sounded indefinite about which plate bumper and also about the winch. ARB is definitely on the heavier end vs. the other vendors on here and some are even making aluminum versions which are very lightweight. Before you spend the money twice, you might want to get the plate bumper/winch set-up nailed down, then figure out what coils you need to support the weight.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM   #8

im pretty set on the arb. ive seen all the other vendors on here but arb just looks the best and gives will suit my needs the best. and i plan on getting a winch just not right away...maybe closer to winter.

ps i appreciate all your help and info mike!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Anywhere between 600# and 700# should be fine for a plate bumper and 95# winch. With 600# springs you will need to compress the hell out of them to achieve lift. 700# springs not so much. 600# springs will wear out quicker then 700#, but the ride will be much stiffer.

On another note I ran a Relentless bumper on my stock TRD springs and was able to wheel just fine at URE, NC. I wouldn't suggest this as a DD set up, but it worked for me in a pinch.
With that response, which would you choose, 885x or Eibach? 885's are under 600# but taller whereas the Eibachs are over the 600# mark but a shorter coil. Just curious as to what you'd choose and why?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Neither...that's why I have Kings with 700#

How much is the height difference? I would always go with the heavier spring as it will last longer. Compressing the longer softer spring will only wear it out quicker I would think.

I'm not very educated on springs - I just researched for mine so I picked up some tidbits on the way. I'm sure may others could comment who are running this set up.
You're killing my logic! So the Eibachs are a short spring with a higher rate so they'll sag initially under the weight but shouldn't wear out as quickly afterwards. The OME 885's are taller and will sag initially to the OP's desired 2" lift but will eventually wear out more quickly than the Eibachs. The newer version of the 885's the 885x's are supposed to be made to resist sagging and fatigue and might stay up at the 2" a bit longer. Because the OME's are a taller coil with a lower spring rate, they'll ride softer with the weight of the bumper and winch on it. I think that about sums it up? Sounds like it's all about trade-offs...
Old 07-06-2011, 02:07 PM   #11

so im thinking eibachs @ .85 and top plate spacer if they sag too much, which i doubt b/c the higher rate

Old 07-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes! My buddy has allpro front/rear and sliders with eibachs on 5100s and running 285/75/16. I'll put a pic up in a bit.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #13

thanks derek! whats your opinion on 885s with a bumper? since thats what u have
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Just remember any spacer you put on will lessen down travel ultimately. It's cool to have a tall truck but if it rides like crap in the end is it worth it?

Personally my front is cranked to 2" of lift. I had it at 3" but changed it because the ride offroad is far superior with the extra 1" of down travel through the whoops or city pot holes.
i agree with what you're saying. thats why im shooting for around 2" of lift. im just tryin to find out how much they'll settle/sag.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thanks derek! whats your opinion on 885s with a bumper? since thats what u have
I'm at 0.85" right now. Thinking of bumping up to 1.75" if my cv joints allow it. It's still a little low and soft for my liking.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Here's that pic I promised.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
I'm at 0.85" right now. Thinking of bumping up to 1.75" if my cv joints allow it. It's still a little low and soft for my liking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Here's that pic I promised.

both of these post are making me favor the eibachs. bump for new imput
Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #18
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
both of these post are making me favor the eibachs. bump for new imput
Ya. I kinda wish I went that route but what's done is done. I got a sweet deal on these 885s so f* it!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Keep in mine the weight difference between the Allpro bumper and ARB, it is significant.
ARB being the heavier one, right?
Old 07-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #20
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
Is that a lexus emblem on there too
Yes. Just for the record, it's not mine! Lol

And yes. ARB is heavier by far.