1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fox,King,Icon COs:Feel Like You Got Your $$ Worth?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by tacomtn, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    These COs are nice since they're rebuildable and adjustable. The drawback is you HAVE to rebuild them, higher maintenance.

BUT you boys that have them, do you feel like they're really worth the extra $700-$1000 more than OME or Bilsteins? Maybe if you're a desert racer or rock crawler but for a DD/weekend warrior truck, was it really worth the extra dollars?

Sorry if this topic has been posted before. Please link me if so...:D

2. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian aka B-Lang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra
    what the above post said.. its all up to you. i am personally going with CO rather than the billys or OME

3. Jul 6, 2011 at 6:52 PM
    Honey badger

Honey badger Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bon
    Kinder, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    02 DC BLACK 3.4
    I did it and I don't wheel much. I love them. Now OME would prob do the same but I like that they are can be rebuilt. Like he said it's up to you.

4. Jul 7, 2011 at 12:35 AM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Great points mentioned, adjustable, rebuildable, custom valving. Good for future changes which OME/Bilsteins cannot accomodate for.

But how many of you had OME/Bilsteins before and switched to the COs felt like,"Wow, now THAT was worth $1000 big ones!!!" in terms of road quality off/on road?

5. Jul 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM
    Ez2typethis

Ez2typethis Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2017 Sport
    Suspension -LSK Uniball Uper Control Arms -LSK Uniball Lower Control Arms -Camburg Performance Spindles -ECGS Needle Bearing Installed -Archive Garage Hammer Hangers -Archive Garage 3.6” Shackles -Archive Garage Hanger Cross Tube -Icon 2.5 CDC Extended Travel Coilovers -Icon 14" 700 pound coils -Icon 2.5 CDC RXT Shocks -Icon 2.0 Hydraulic Bump Stops *Bolt On Bump Stop Mount -Wheelers Front Super Bumps Armor -At The Helm Front Bumper -At The Helm Rear Bumper -At The Helm Rear Swing Out -RCI Sliders -RCI Engine Skid Plate -RCI Transfer Case Skid Plate -RCI Transmission Skid Plate -RCI Fuel Tank Skid Plate -Prinsu Designs Top Rack -Prinsu Designs Cab Rack Lights -Black Head Light Mod -OEM TRD Pro Tail Lights -MESO LED Turn Signals -Morimoto HID Headlight Kit -Caliraised LED 40” Slimline -Caliraised LED 20” Slimline -Caliraised LED Amber Pods -Caliraised LED Wide Ditch Lights -Caliraised LED Flush Mount Pods -LED High Beams -LED Dome Lights -LED Back-Up Lights -LED License Plate Lights Miscellaneous -OVtuned2.0 -4.88 gears -ARB twin comp -ARB rear locker -Leer 100XQ Camper Shell -Smitty Built X20 Winch -Warn Fairlead -Warn Sidewinder -Roto Pax 4.5 Gallon Gasoline -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Water -Roto Pax 2 Gallon Gasoline -Weathertech Floor Liners -Double limo tinted -50% tinted windshield -Leather Seats - Installed At Dealer Wheels and Tires -Matte Black Stealth Custom Series Ray 10's (X5) -BFG KO2 285x70r17 // Load Range C (X5)
    Really interested in posts to come!

6. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Wait for Chris4x4 to chime in, I believe he went from OME to Icons. Based on his write up/product review I'd say he was pretty pleased with them.

They seem like the type of thing that if you use them, it's worth it. For me, I rarely off road and while it may ride better on the road, it's not worth the extra $1,000 vs. the Bilstein/Eibach combo I'm running.

7. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I've run a few different set ups. The OME set up can't be beat for what they are. Theyare great on/off road, and last along time. King, Fox and Icon have a little more firm on road ride, but can't be beat off road. If you off road frequently the higher end CO's are worth the money.

8. Jul 7, 2011 at 6:37 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I went with icons, and i think they are great.

rebuildable shock = less $ down the road fyi

it's probably overkill for my truck that only sees dirt a couple times a year but as the truck gets older it will see more dirt. I just like having the best. Do it right the first time

9. Jul 7, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    tacomtn

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    Thanks boys for the experiences shared. Now between the OME and Bilsteins, from other reviews it seems the OME are preferred.

More pros/cons:
    OME cannot be adjusted
    Bilsteins can be adjusted (using spanner wrench) but not as stout as OME (Flex?)
    Much less than high-end COs, just replace when needed and still not as expensive as the COs
    Decent/acceptable off-road and on-road feel

High-end COs:
    Can be adjusted
    But also MUST be rebuilt every 30-50k miles
    Down time while shock is rebuilt
    Better off-road feel, somewhat stiff on-road

10. Jul 8, 2011 at 5:02 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I dont understand why they MUST be rebuilt in a situation that would not require that you MUST replace the OME. I mean if you are concerned with rebuilding, a 2.5" is gonna last WAY, WAY longer than a 2.0" coilover. I mean that is THE ONLY advantage to a 2.5 over a 2.0 coilover... how long they last with equivalent control. Its not like a 2.5" coilover offers superior damping.

I also dont get the somewhat stiff onroad thing either... adjust it however you like. Get lighter springs or make the damping less... you can do that with coilovers... its why people get them. You have options. They dont HAVE to be stiffer on road.

11. Jul 8, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    That's about all that needs to be said.

Products Discussed in

To Top