Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox,King,Icon COs:Feel Like You Got Your $$ Worth?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Fox,King,Icon COs:Feel Like You Got Your $$ Worth?

These COs are nice since they're rebuildable and adjustable. The drawback is you HAVE to rebuild them, higher maintenance.

BUT you boys that have them, do you feel like they're really worth the extra $700-$1000 more than OME or Bilsteins? Maybe if you're a desert racer or rock crawler but for a DD/weekend warrior truck, was it really worth the extra dollars?

Sorry if this topic has been posted before. Please link me if so...
Old 07-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It is up to you.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
These COs are nice since they're rebuildable and adjustable. The drawback is you HAVE to rebuild them, higher maintenance.

BUT you boys that have them, do you feel like they're really worth the extra $700-$1000 more than OME or Bilsteins? Maybe if you're a desert racer or rock crawler but for a DD/weekend warrior truck, was it really worth the extra dollars?

Sorry if this topic has been posted before. Please link me if so...
what the above post said.. its all up to you. i am personally going with CO rather than the billys or OME
Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
Honey badger hits whatever tree he wants to hit!!
Honey badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoney badger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 Zulu
Name: Bon
Honey badger's Tacoma Gallery
I did it and I don't wheel much. I love them. Now OME would prob do the same but I like that they are can be rebuilt. Like he said it's up to you.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Great points mentioned, adjustable, rebuildable, custom valving. Good for future changes which OME/Bilsteins cannot accomodate for.

But how many of you had OME/Bilsteins before and switched to the COs felt like,"Wow, now THAT was worth $1000 big ones!!!" in terms of road quality off/on road?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Ez2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud ofEz2typethis has much to be proud of

Navy: Aviation Structural Mechanic (Structures and Hydraulics) VFA-25
Ez2typethis's Tacoma Gallery
Really interested in posts to come!
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomtn View Post
Great points mentioned, adjustable, rebuildable, custom valving. Good for future changes which OME/Bilsteins cannot accomodate for.

But how many of you had OME/Bilsteins before and switched to the COs felt like,"Wow, now THAT was worth $1000 big ones!!!" in terms of road quality off/on road?
Wait for Chris4x4 to chime in, I believe he went from OME to Icons. Based on his write up/product review I'd say he was pretty pleased with them.

They seem like the type of thing that if you use them, it's worth it. For me, I rarely off road and while it may ride better on the road, it's not worth the extra $1,000 vs. the Bilstein/Eibach combo I'm running.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wait for Chris4x4 to chime in, I believe he went from OME to Icons. Based on his write up/product review I'd say he was pretty pleased with them.

They seem like the type of thing that if you use them, it's worth it. For me, I rarely off road and while it may ride better on the road, it's not worth the extra $1,000 vs. the Bilstein/Eibach combo I'm running.
I've run a few different set ups. The OME set up can't be beat for what they are. Theyare great on/off road, and last along time. King, Fox and Icon have a little more firm on road ride, but can't be beat off road. If you off road frequently the higher end CO's are worth the money.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
I went with icons, and i think they are great.

rebuildable shock = less $ down the road fyi

it's probably overkill for my truck that only sees dirt a couple times a year but as the truck gets older it will see more dirt. I just like having the best. Do it right the first time
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #10

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks boys for the experiences shared. Now between the OME and Bilsteins, from other reviews it seems the OME are preferred.

More pros/cons:
OME cannot be adjusted
Bilsteins can be adjusted (using spanner wrench) but not as stout as OME (Flex?)
Much less than high-end COs, just replace when needed and still not as expensive as the COs
Decent/acceptable off-road and on-road feel

High-end COs:
Can be adjusted
But also MUST be rebuilt every 30-50k miles
Down time while shock is rebuilt
Better off-road feel, somewhat stiff on-road
Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I dont understand why they MUST be rebuilt in a situation that would not require that you MUST replace the OME. I mean if you are concerned with rebuilding, a 2.5" is gonna last WAY, WAY longer than a 2.0" coilover. I mean that is THE ONLY advantage to a 2.5 over a 2.0 coilover... how long they last with equivalent control. Its not like a 2.5" coilover offers superior damping.

I also dont get the somewhat stiff onroad thing either... adjust it however you like. Get lighter springs or make the damping less... you can do that with coilovers... its why people get them. You have options. They dont HAVE to be stiffer on road.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If you off road frequently the higher end CO's are worth the money.
That's about all that needs to be said.