Notices

5100's came in but needing install help

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #1
debuhr is on a distinguished road
EMS: EMT
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to debuhr
5100's came in but needing install help

Got my adjustable 5100's for the front and replacing the rear as well. Me and a friend (who knows a lot more about this than i do) attempted doing this ourselfs. After 2 hours (and a lot of cussing), we decided to quit due to the fact that we couldnt even get the back shocks off (we didnt even atttempt the front). I decided to stop by some shops and get some quotes, but they all want more than what i piad for the lift lol. I have read every single forum on here about 5100's and install problems and i dont see many people having this same problem. Ideas? Pointers? And also, how can I even intall the front adjustables without a machine to allow them to fit into the stock coil?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Are you putting your stock coils on the 5100's?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
how are you having trouble getting the back shocks off? take the 4 bolts off. 1 on top 1 on bottom of each shock. and pull them off. leave the truck at stock height (dont use a jack) if they dont come off use a little hammer and tap them
Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I had to cut my rear shocks off. The top was too rusted on. I could loosen the nut until I ran out of room to hold the top of the shock to keep it from spinning, then used a hack saw to cut below the nut so they'd come out. The rears shouldn't be giving you that much trouble, they're much, much easier to replace than the fronts.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I had to cut my rear shocks off. The top was too rusted on. I could loosen the nut until I ran out of room to hold the top of the shock to keep it from spinning, then used a hack saw to cut below the nut so they'd come out. The rears shouldn't be giving you that much trouble, they're much, much easier to replace than the fronts.
you need to hold the bolt that comes out of the top of the shock in place with vice grips or an allen head wrench. then put a wrench on the nut. or else it will spin all day
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
you need to hold the bolt that comes out of the top of the shock in place with vice grips or an allen head wrench. then put a wrench on the nut. or else it will spin all day
The stock ones you need to hold the top with a small wrench (I forget what size). But you can't keep the wrench on the top and back the nut off where you're supposed to hold it. I'm guessing that, if rust isn't an issue, they shouldn't spin the entire shock body once they're loosened with the wrenches but the rust on mine was soo bad that it would. I couldn't even hold the shock body with vice grips, it would just spin inside the grips. 5 minutes with a hack saw and the problem was solved

The 5100 rears are cut to accept an allen wrench in the top of the stud which is a much better idea in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #7
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I tried doing the Allen wrench as well as vice grips on top. Ended up having to pull so hard that it stripped the top of it. So I'm cutting them off. And the front I am using stock coils but haven't got the slightest clue how to get the things in there with having my shocks set at an inch and 3 quarter
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #8

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by debuhr View Post
Ok I tried doing the Allen wrench as well as vice grips on top. Ended up having to pull so hard that it stripped the top of it. So I'm cutting them off. And the front I am using stock coils but haven't got the slightest clue how to get the things in there with having my shocks set at an inch and 3 quarter
Do you have a spring compressor? These should help you...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...g-removal.html

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...a/03900510.pdf

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/039000.pdf
Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I hesitate to assume this...but you are using a spring compressor, right?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
debuhr's Tacoma Gallery
no, i dont have a spring compressor. i havent taken them off yet either though. i finally found a shop who is willing to install for 100 dollars. so im thinkin that might be a good idea lol
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no, i dont have a spring compressor. i havent taken them off yet either though. i finally found a shop who is willing to install for 100 dollars. so im thinkin that might be a good idea lol
If they know what they're doing, yes, that's a great idea. You wouldn't get far with the fronts without a spring compressor. Make sure the spring seat is in the correct orientation (the seat should cover the clip if that makes sense). Good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #12
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
yes $100 will be worth it