Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

ome shocks or 5100s w/ ome coils?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
KMADA has a spectacular aura aboutKMADA has a spectacular aura about
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
ome shocks or 5100s w/ ome coils?

I've seen quite a few people running the ome coils with the 5100s at stock.

Would you prefer 5100 or ome shocks with the ome coils?

Ps.. I use it as a daily driver barely any off road. And it's an 08 trd sport prerunner. trying to run 285s

pics would be nice too..
Old 10-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Since the OME shocks are valved for the OME coils, I recomend the OME shocks. Pics are in my gallery.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
What's cheaper? OME shocks or 5100s'?

I'm gonna assume the 5100's are more expensive than OME (or any other brand of regular strut/coilover).

The 5100's along with your stock coils will do the same thing as a set of OME coils with OME (or other brand) strut/shock.

Seems almost pointless (to me anyway) to go with 5100's PLUS OME lift coils together. **and I'm only thinking of this in a 'money' aspect of things.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
What's cheaper? OME shocks or 5100s'?

I'm gonna assume the 5100's are more expensive than OME (or any other brand of regular strut/coilover).

The 5100's along with your stock coils will do the same thing as a set of OME coils with OME (or other brand) strut/shock.

Seems almost pointless (to me anyway) to go with 5100's PLUS OME lift coils together. **and I'm only thinking of this in a 'money' aspect of things.
The OME shocks are much more $$$$. OME springs are a higher spring rate and the 884's are a little longer than stock. The 5100's gain lift by compressing/preloading the stock springs, and are valved accordingly.
Yes, they will both lift your truck, BUT, as the OME shocks are valved for their springs, which are a 590# spring rate as opposed to the factory 540# rate, they will do a much better job dampening the spring. Many people choose to get the OME coils to replace/upgrade their factoy springs and gain 3" of lift. Some people have done this after they had already purchased Bilstien 5100's for use with their factory springs only to find the ride is not what they had in mind. Since they already spent $200.00 or so dollars on the Billies, they may not be too fond of spending another $270.00 for OME shocks.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
5100s are actually cheaper (downsouthmotors ebay) at 270 for all 4.

The reason why I do wanna add the ome coils is for the full 3" lift rather then the 5100s at 2.5" which I'm not sure I'll be satisfied with looks wise.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
roadbiker is on a distinguished road
roadbiker's Tacoma Gallery
You need to install the additional spacer to get the full 3". I got 2.5" with 885's on 5100's at the stock setting.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
You need to install the additional spacer to get the full 3". I got 2.5" with 885's on 5100's at the stock setting.
how would you consider the quality of the ride?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbiker View Post
I got 3.25" with the OME shocks, but that has settled to 3" without the spacer. FWIW.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
roadbiker is on a distinguished road
roadbiker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMADA View Post
how would you consider the quality of the ride?
The ride got a little more firm, but not too bad.
Also, maybe I only got 2.5" of lift due to the additional weight of 4X4 running gear. Prerunners should get more.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #10
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec offers the front 5100s with a coilover ($799) which includes the machined upper assembly and sway bar relocation brackets:

If you already have the 5100s you can get the coilover kit for $429. ($270 for all four from ebay + $429 + $30 for the sway bar relocation kit = $729). The toytec kit above comes with the machined aluminum upper assembly whereas the coilover kit uses the stock top.
Attached Thumbnails
ome shocks or 5100s w/ ome coils?-ttafcs-6005-1-.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
would I then need new uca's for the wandering? Or is it mostly not too noticeable?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone have any experience with the toytec coilovers? Pictures would be nice too
Old 10-20-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with the toytec coilovers? Pictures would be nice too
I ordered the bilstein 5100 set from DownSouth motorsports on ebay ($270), the adjustable coilover kit ($429), the machined upper assembly ($139) and diff drop kit ($29) from ToyTec. ($429 + $270 + $139 + $29 = $867) I could have used the stock top plate for the strut assembly, but I wanted a complete swap, keeping the stock stuff assembled. So, this was a touch more expensive than the $799 kit, but I also got the rear shocks (which I hear are a better ride).

Also bought Total Chaos UCAs.

All the parts should be here this week and I'm planning to install it Friday night. I will be posting pics when I'm done.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #14

Quote:
would I then need new uca's for the wandering? Or is it mostly not too noticeable?
You would need UCA's that correct for lost caster, like TC, or Camburg.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #15
KMADA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I ordered the bilstein 5100 set from DownSouth motorsports on ebay ($270), the adjustable coilover kit ($429), the machined upper assembly ($139) and diff drop kit ($29) from ToyTec. ($429 + $270 + $139 + $29 = $867) I could have used the stock top plate for the strut assembly, but I wanted a complete swap, keeping the stock stuff assembled. So, this was a touch more expensive than the $799 kit, but I also got the rear shocks (which I hear are a better ride).

Also bought Total Chaos UCAs.

All the parts should be here this week and I'm planning to install it Friday night. I will be posting pics when I'm done.
sweet keep me posted. By the way, are you gonna use an aal?
Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #16
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
sweet keep me posted. By the way, are you gonna use an aal?
I ordered an AAL for the rear, but I don't think I'm going to use it just now. Right now, the rear is exactly 3" higher than the front (after the rear TSB). So, when I put the 3" lift on the front, it will be level. I wouldn't mind having the rear higher than the front (I like a little rake :P) but Minnesota state law says that your bumper can't be more than 25" off the ground. Right now, the rear is 23". When I put the 285s on (2.2" higher than stock) I'll be just over 25".

So, no AAL just yet...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #17
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
^^i believe there are laws like that here in cali, but I have never seen, or heard about them being enforced..i know some people with some tall ass trucks...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyToyTaco View Post
^^i believe there are laws like that here in cali, but I have never seen, or heard about them being enforced..i know some people with some tall ass trucks...
I agree - they probably aren't strictly enforced. But, I've only been here for a few months and I'm not really comfortable with pushing the limits just yet.

Also, when I look around at all the vehicles driving around this state, I can't tell you that I have seen ANY lifted trucks. So, I'll save the rear for when I move somewhere else... By that time, the rear will have settled a bit.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:59 PM   #19
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
or you could get airbags and a radar