Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

TELL ME WHERE I AM WRONG...I speak for many NEW GUYS to lifting

Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
ChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ChuckLee's Tacoma Gallery
Talking TELL ME WHERE I AM WRONG...I speak for many NEW GUYS to lifting

I have read stickies, and days worth of reading and searching this forum. I am now ready to post questions. I am going to lift my 06 DC 4x4 SR5 WITHOUT UCA replacements (and will keep 2" or less of lift up front to hopefully ensure no problems with alignment)

Now that I have clarified those things....suspension gurus please tell me where I am wrong and give any advice that I may need to hear (please refrain from replying "DO a search" or "Read the stickies" or any other comments. Instead, post the link to the sticky or thread you are talking about in an attempt to help. This thread should help others also when finished because as I am noticing many many people want a small lift without replacing expensive components (UCA's) and have honest questions. Please remember that to new guys to tacomas and lifting, there are SOOO MANY OPTIONS out there that it gets quite intimidating! Please keep this thread helpful, and not hurtful.
That said, tell me where I'm wrong and give advice.

1. 5100's up front set at 1.75" is ideal for the money (i'm not an off-roader, but I want a small lift and don't wanna trash my suspension or alignment).

2. Front 5100's set at 1.75 preloads the shocks....meaning the lift is coming from the shock and not the spring. It is better to go with the 5100's set at 0" and Eibach springs to give softer, more natural highway drive. What springs will give me 2" lift with 5100's at 0??? I am not interested in spacers to lift the truck, as I have read all over that this isn't an ideal way to lift truck. Would OME 884 springs be best and 5100's set at 0?

3. 5100's in rear with a toyTec 2" AAL will NOT work....???? If this is true, please discuss in more detail and provide best alternative for money. I want factory rake look, so I also want a 2" lift in rear, but obviously i still want to be able to have some down travel and 5100's don't allow this. Is the cheapest fix here using 5125's in rear with 2" AAL??? This will give more down travel from what I understand.

3. AAL info: I definately want an AAL kit with anti-friction pads to prevent squeak noises, etc. 2" toytec AAl is good choice because it will settle over time. (no need to throw out 10 other options for AAL's if this works for sake of lessening confusion) With the toytec 2" AAL lift will I need to pry factory leaf brackets open in order to add the new leaf or will the 2" toytec slide right in place? (i don't know if I have TSB leaf set-up at this point, just bought truck, sorry. Tell me if that is something i MUST know and I will find out right away)

Thank you everyone that has already contributed to this forum. Great place to be for sure. I look forward to continuing my learning at the TacomaWorld of Learning and Devlopment
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
When ordering your AAL you have the option of getting the AAL with TSB or without. If you have 4 leaves, then your have the TSB. But if you have 3 you have the regular non TSB leaf pack
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM   #3
ChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedChuckLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk3 View Post
When ordering your AAL you have the option of getting the AAL with TSB or without. If you have 4 leaves, then your have the TSB. But if you have 3 you have the regular non TSB leaf pack
Thank you Luck3. I am going outside now to check......:rolleyes :
OK.....3 leaves.....no TSB, and I can see where the rubber stopper HAS in fact made contact with frame multiple times...interesting. Truck now has 83k so fix aint free.

Thanks again for first comment!
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #4

Great input Anthony! Thanks for clearing up the first error i made! The spring is preloaded, not the shock.

I believe the 884 spring would work for my scenario, and with 5100's would give me a 2"lift.

Would I be better off with 5125's in rear (99% pavement driving) with 2" AAL or 5100's with 2"AAL??? Do the 5125's present new problems (i.e. other adjustments like lengthening brake lines, etc)
Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #5

TTT anyone else want to chime in here? Feel free.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
You have been wrong about one thing. You have neglected to mention how much money you want to spend.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkgreentaco View Post
You have been wrong about one thing. You have neglected to mention how much money you want to spend.
I'm sorry. Parts under 750 bucks total. If i was an off-roader I'de get the UCA's and off road shocks but i just asthetics SAFELY.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
Treedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Barry
Treedawg37's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd
Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
You want a small lift. IMO, I think Eibachs/5100s set at zero and a 1 1/2 aal would suit you. YES, you can use the TSB aals on non TSB leafs.

I'm suggesting this from experience. I had 5100s set at .85 with the Eibachs, 2" aal. (no tsb) and I had a noticeable rake. I'd imagine if you do ~2" of lift upfront and do a 2" aal, you'd have a crazy rake.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #11
Protected by Armor Tech Offroad
dbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the sheddbronzo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
dbronzo's Tacoma Gallery
You can actually order longer 5100's from DSM. I had the ones that came with the TOYTEC lift and snapped one of the shock stems this weekend. On a side note I do wheel on a regular basis. I would contact DSM about the setup you are looking to run and they can probably give you the exact setup you are looking for at a great price.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Just fyi....With a non tsb leaf pack (3 leafs) you can use either AAL the 1.5" or the 2.0" depending on the height you're looking for. (Its the 2.0" AAL that won't work with the tsb 4 leaf pack) I'm running billys at 1.75 stock springs and a non tsb leaf pack with the 1.5" AAL and the rear sits alittle higher than the front. Perfect IMO
Old 07-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
Just fyi....With a non tsb leaf pack (3 leafs) you can use either AAL the 1.5" or the 2.0" depending on the height you're looking for. (Its the 2.0" AAL that won't work with the tsb 4 leaf pack) I'm running billys at 1.75 stock springs and a non tsb leaf pack with the 1.5" AAL and the rear sits alittle higher than the front. Perfect IMO
Nice lookin lift there buddy! If i do the OME springs and 5100's at 0 i'll have right around 2" so if I go with the 2"AAL i think the rake should still look pretty stock, and will even probably settle abit and look more leveled over time than stock no?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
You want a small lift. IMO, I think Eibachs/5100s set at zero and a 1 1/2 aal would suit you. YES, you can use the TSB aals on non TSB leafs.

I'm suggesting this from experience. I had 5100s set at .85 with the Eibachs, 2" aal. (no tsb) and I had a noticeable rake. I'd imagine if you do ~2" of lift upfront and do a 2" aal, you'd have a crazy rake.
Do you mean after install your rake increased? If i lift both ends 2" won't the rake remain the same or close to it? I'm only thinking goin with the OME springs because it gives me just a little bigger lift without preloading. If I preload with eibachs or OME's i would probably need UCA's anyhow. I'm avoiding all that for now.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
Do you mean after install your rake increased? If i lift both ends 2" won't the rake remain the same or close to it? I'm only thinking goin with the OME springs because it gives me just a little bigger lift without preloading. If I preload with eibachs or OME's i would probably need UCA's anyhow. I'm avoiding all that for now.
The OME's are a taller coil than the Eibachs but a softer spring rate. The amount of lift you'll gain between the two would be very comparable, you'd end up most likely right at 2" from the OME and just under with the Eibach.

The AAL might give you a little over the advertised lift and will settle some with time. That being said, you could end up with slightly more rake than stock but in theory, you shouldn't. A full 2" lift all around should maintain stock rake just 2" higher.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Might want to check this out also. This AAL rides great but is a little more expensive than a single. It comes with new u-bolts and centering bolts though. If you keep the factory overload, you can get just under 2" of lift with this AAL.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-aal-kit.html
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #17
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice lookin lift there buddy! If i do the OME springs and 5100's at 0 i'll have right around 2" so if I go with the 2"AAL i think the rake should still look pretty stock, and will even probably settle abit and look more leveled over time than stock no?
Thanks man . That sounds like a good plan but if you're going with the 2" aal, you might want to consider the 885 springs. Search for pics of each and you'll see the difference.
I'm about to replace my front coils with 885 (maybe 886) to help with the added weight of a plate bumper and a new rear leaf setup to help match the performance of the rear leafs to the performance of the front coil spring/strut setup. Still researching on the rear though.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
The AAL might give you a little over the advertised lift and will settle some with time. That being said, you could end up with slightly more rake than stock but in theory, you shouldn't. A full 2" lift all around should maintain stock rake just 2" higher.

This

To add, If you're only going to remain 2.5" or under, you won't need UCAs.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobox View Post
Thanks man . That sounds like a good plan but if you're going with the 2" aal, you might want to consider the 885 springs. Search for pics of each and you'll see the difference.
I'm about to replace my front coils with 885 (maybe 886) to help with the added weight of a plate bumper and a new rear leaf setup to help match the performance of the rear leafs to the performance of the front coil spring/strut setup. Still researching on the rear though.
All I have up front is an avid light bar...nothing too heavy. 885's will make a rougher ride right?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #20

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
All I have up front is an avid light bar...nothing too heavy. 885's will make a rougher ride right?
Not necessarily, the 885's and 884's have the same spring rate, the difference is the 885's are 10 mm taller.