1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Broken Carrier Joint + 2 U joints

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by skieurmalade, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    skieurmalade

skieurmalade [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    rear lift
    Hey everyone, first post. I have a 99 Tacoma 2.7 SR5 Xtra w/ 155k. I call it the White Taco.

I'm up in Canada dealing with my wife's immigration to the USA and completely unable to make it home to my friendly mechanics. I nailed a coffin size pot hole in 3rd gear the other day. Now the car has a metal to metal grind esp at 30 and 50 mph. Local guy (w/ good references) says I ripped my "hanger joints" (plural somehow?) clean off and at least one U joint. He quoted me "at least" $500 w/ parts and labor. That seems incredibly low.

Should I be expecting a much larger bill and how important is it for this job to be done professionally?
    There is no Transmission Shop within 100km so if I bought the part and had them take the drivetrain off and replace would the car be able to drive that far?
    Should I just take it to the local guy who said $500? Thanks everyone not fun being broken down and broke so far from home. Say hello to America for me :D

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    By "hanger joints" I'm assuming he meant carrier/center bearing (the fact he didn't even use the correct terminology scares me already )

If this were the case I don't know how the hell you could even drive it with any degree of confidence. (that driveshaft would be flipping & flopping, beating the hell out of everything on your under carriage) & the vibration alone would be enough to make any driver pull over & ask .. "WTF??" Any pics would help..

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 11:51 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    ^THAT^

Plus I don't see how hitting a pothole will destroy u-joints or the carrier bearing to be honest unless they were on their way out already.

4. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    skieurmalade

skieurmalade [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5
    rear lift
    Thanks for the advice. I'm scared too about the 'hanger bearing' blunder.

Well I went and got the truck and he's totally right about the carrier bearing. It's simply and clearly a destroyed piece of equipment. I'll get pics as soon as the rain stops.
    The car was perfectly stable at under 20 mph coming home.
    Perhaps it was on the way out and the hard hit knocked it out entirely? :confused:Could that be the case, while meantime my U joints were already toast? I drive about 50 off road miles per week in the summer FWIW.

5. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    That might cause it. You figure in the heat and offroading for that kind of distance, the grease in the u-joints probably wouldn't last long.

6. Jul 12, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Its a bit of a gray area as to what clearance specs are with the carrier bearing, they all have what could be considered excess slop, even when new, even when properly installed, but I'd say if the bearing (that rest in the middle of the big rubber grommet) is torn away from it, its time for a new carrier (right around $200 for an OEM from Toyota) as far as the Ujoints go, not enough info to determine if they're good or bad...:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top