1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Im more confused then when i started - lift questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by packfan88, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    First off:
    I have a 2008 4.6L DC 4x4 6ft bed tow package (no off road package).

i read the faq thread. I want to do the lift where i add shocks to the front and an AAL kit in the back.
    I would like to use the Bilstein 5100s (unless i can get more travel with OME brand).
    If i put 5100s in the front, i can rais ethem to about 2"-2.5" ...correct?
    If i put them in the rear its just new shocks, and the AAL is what provides the lift? Thats fine, but i want to know what to get. Do i need to extend a brake line or somethign or a diff drop?

I was going to order the 5100s for the front. Then i saw in the faq thread
    "OME makes longer shocks which are designed for a 3" lift. This will allow better articulation of your suspension. BUT! Remember with the increased travel you will need longer brake lines."

so, im like...let me order the OME ....but when i go to Wheelers web site, all i see if the shocks in a kit.

im lost. here is what I want to do.

I want to put slightly larger tires on my truck. like 32-33" tires.

So from what Ive read, i can change the front shocks and get added height in the front. Then get a AAL kit for the rear and then get the same. Where did i go wrong? I am not sure if I am reading Wheelers site worng or what. Maybe Im over thinking everything.

I know asking "which shocks" will result in everyone pointing and laughing at me and calling me names. so i wont ask that. I want to get the shocks that have the most amoutn of down travel (causes down travel is good right?). So thats the OME shocks ...correct? Which ones?

Is this what I want for the front?
    0-2.5" Lift Adjustable Front Shock Set: 170.00/pair [​IMG]

This is what I want for the rear?
    2" Add a Leaf Kit: 77.50 [​IMG] A single leaf Add A Leaf Set, works with your factory length u-bolts.
    Fits the factory TSB leaf springs, too!

im so confused !!!

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    Thats a good starting point.

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    Front....... . Rear....

4. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    I have 5100 shocks front and rear. The front shocks are set @2.5 and I have a 2" aal. I have the stock brake lines with no problems what so ever. I have 285/70/17 and after fender trimming I only rub on the cab mount. I belive the diff drop is only need in some cases to help with vibrations.

5. Jul 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    packfan88

packfan88 [OP] Very Nice !

Member:
    Acworth, GA
    Billy Lift, Cooper STT Pro, Westin Step bars, tinted, rain gaurds, EBC rotors hawk pads
    so the front 5100s and the diff drop down kit is all i'd need for the front (then tires and trip where it rub)?

is $199 a fair price?

it also says
    NOTE: Upper bushings and washers are not included from Bilstein in this part number, order separately if needed.

do i need to order these parts too?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    does this setup provide for a bit of rake? I prefer it to have a little bit of a higher stance in the rear of the truck. nothign crazy but a little. isnt there a little set up that way from the factory?

the TSB ..... is that Toyota Service Bulletin?

I am not sure what that means. Is if to repiar the ratte in the leaf spring? If so, I never fixed it. Does that change what AAL kit i need to order? where it says non-tsb springs....thats what i have correct?

when i order the AAL kit, is

1.5" Lift 3 Leaf Progressive Add A Leaf Kit:149.95[​IMG] A 3 leaf progressive Add A Leaf set. Works with or without your factory overload leaf. Comes with longer U-bolts.

all i need to order or do i need to get the shocks too for the lift? i dont mind if i do, just not sure. its a combination of the AAL kit and the rear shocks for more travel?

Im not full grasping the concept. The leaf kit actually adds the height and the new rear shocks just fit in the large gap created from the AAL ? At the same time, it allows for more down travel since the old shock would be too short?

why go with 1.5" in the rear and not the 2"?

With all this info, does the fact that Id like to change my front bumper and maybe add a winch one day make it more/less/the same when it comes to spring rate or which shocks to use? I see some of bumpers look pretty deisel and may weigh a lot....i dont know what the factory bumper weighs to even know if it would matter.

I know when I changed things in the engine bay on an old Camaro it required more heavy duty coil springs cause the added weight would put that thing on the asphalt in a second. a big block is pretty heavy lol.

so if im clueless.....ive only hopped up cars for speed not for suspension stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top