1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear End Swaying

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by graciesdad77, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Jul 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM
    graciesdad77

graciesdad77 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma ExCab 4x4
    The rear end of my 96 Tacoma Extended Cab 4x4 has started swaying side to side when being driven. It has new shocks and leaf springs on it. I haven't had the time to get under it yet, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before. Thanks for any help.

2. Jul 12, 2011 at 11:04 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

A little more info needed please, what kind of shocks ??, what kind of springs ?? Tire type/pressure/condition ?? etc:... theres a few things that could do this, are/were you carrying a load in the back ?? The more info the better.....

Welcome to TW BTW...;)

3. Jul 12, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:

Were new U-bolts installed with the leafs, and have they been re-torqued yet? They should be after 100 miles or so.

4. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:17 PM
    graciesdad77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma ExCab 4x4
    The shocks are generic light truck shocks from a shop in Kansas, the leafs are the four leaf springs from JC Whitley, new u-bolts were used and re-torqued once since instalation, tires are i good shape with only 15K on them, no load in the bed, and the road was freshly paved. The swaying started as soon as I started driving. Thanks for the help.

5. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    That sounds really weird, almost like an alignment issue or the leafs weren't set on the pins correctly. When is the last time it was aligned?

Does it do this in a straight line at any speed? Constantly? Or only in turns or curves?

If you can take some good, clear pictures of the springs, the shocks, and the shackles from underneath the truck and post them up, we might be able to help better.

The leaf springs for this truck are side specific. One is longer and higher that the other.

Can you verify that you did indeed get a R and L leaf, and that they are installed on the correct sides?

6. Jul 15, 2011 at 12:07 AM
    graciesdad77

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma ExCab 4x4
    It happens in a straight line at any speed, and the shocks were installed three years ago and the springs were installed two years ago. This just started when I picked my truck up after my sister used it. It's still down at her place and I haven't had the chance to check it out yet. I'm wondering if it might be related to the frame rust issues that some tacoma have had.

7. Jul 15, 2011 at 9:40 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:

OK, if you need help, you need to be careful about accurately presenting the facts. It sounded like you just had the shocks and springs installed, and this swaying was a direct result.

The fact is, the truck was fine after the install a few years ago, and your sister did something with the truck recently that messed it up. I'm betting she had a yard of gravel dumped into it or something stupid like that, and it damaged the springs or shocks.

1. Ask her what she did with it.
    2. Take some pictures of the rear suspension.

Products Discussed in

To Top