Notices

What lift will be best for my use?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
AllenRips is on a distinguished road
Name: Allen
AllenRips's Tacoma Gallery
What lift will be best for my use?

This is my first Toyota, a tacoma of course. I have always drove jacked up f150's. It's a 2011 double cab trd sport 4x4. I don't plan to take this truck through trails and mud, maybe occasionally during bow season. My land isn't that bad though. However, I can't stand how small and girly the stock tacomas look. SO...with all of that out of the way, I have made up my mind that I want a little lift on it and some aggressive tires on it, more or less for looks than any off roading purpose. So, what is the cheapest lift I could get to give me a full 3 inches of lift and decent clearance. Truck won't be flexing much if any, I will mainly just need tire clearance making sharp turns. The cheaper the better in my eyes. I work out of state and drive to work and back every week in it. So, with that being said, opinions would be greatly appreciated. If there is a thread on this, sorry I didn't look through the thousands of threads to find it, please just post a link if you know of one. thanks alot everybody.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
I just looked up the 5100's. It says 2.5 inch lift is the max. How do i get the 3"? a small spacer, and if so, where could i get one of those. Also, what is the stock lift in the back? And what size AAL would it take to get the back to 3"?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #4
eagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud ofeagle5521 has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Scott
eagle5521's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI, there is a a search feature so you don't have to look through thousands of threads.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
hard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shedhard2kill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
hard2kill's Tacoma Gallery
bilstein 5100....front and rear....1.5in rear add-a-leaf...you wont need that extra half in trust me..just set at 2.5in and enjoy.....you can run 285's with alil triming or 265's with no triming...or like me run a 255-80-17 km2 which is 33.5in tall and 10in wide lokks great performs AMAZING on and offroad....downsouthmotorsports has them in stock still i believe...lots of places there on back order
Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Dank Tank
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
The Pro Comp kit gives you a full 3" (thats what I have)
The only down side is it rides stiffer than the 5100's

link: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...t_pn=EXPK5075B
Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRips View Post
I just looked up the 5100's. It says 2.5 inch lift is the max. How do i get the 3"? a small spacer, and if so, where could i get one of those. Also, what is the stock lift in the back? And what size AAL would it take to get the back to 3"?
I understand you wont be doing a lot of off-roading but depending on how deep your pockets are, you might regret it in the future if you go with a cheap lift. You have a 2011 TRD Sport 4x4, one of the top of the line Tacoma's on the market, why put a cheap lift on it? I was going to go the cheap route as well but I ended up getting a moderate/good suspension lift and I am happy I went that way. Check out toyteclifts.com and see what they have. If your going to go the full 3"s up front, your going to want a 2" AAL for the rear to level out the truck.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
IMO if your going just for looks, get a procomp 6 inch drop bracket....
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
Black, i have read threads and everyone says that the pro comp is a stiffer ride than the 5100's. You have the pro comp, how much stiffer would you say it is from factory? 100% stiffer to 10% stiffer. and does it ride okay to you?
Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #10
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
i say full OME 3.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
OME! you can order them any where and more importantly you can choose the correct spring rate for your application. this will ensure a 3 inch lift and not more than 3 inches plus the with the appropriate spring rates your ride should be pretty nice.

no offense to the guy's that have pro comp but after what happened to me regarding them i could never in good faith recommend another product either made or sold by 4wp's. they are an absolutely awful company.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
i would also recommend to stay away from the procomp 3" lift. ive had it and its crap. every one has had good experience with ome so check them out. plus wheelers has good deals with their stuff
Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crf69 View Post
i say full OME 3.
^^^^^
Old 07-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
just go ome 3inch with 886s and dakar leafs, best lift for the money and u will have no regrets
Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr114 View Post
i would also recommend to stay away from the procomp 3" lift. ive had it and its crap. every one has had good experience with ome so check them out. plus wheelers has good deals with their stuff
yep same here i have the 3 inch on regular cab and it yielded 4.75 inches of lift lol

i don't think i have ever heard of someone not liking their ome kit. from what i heard they just do everything right thats the way to go no doubt about it.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
just go ome 3inch with 886s and dakar leafs, best lift for the money and u will have no regrets
886 if you plan on adding an aftermarket steel bumper / winch or just enjoy a buckboard wagon style ride , otherwise 885's will do

Definitely Dakars for the rear
Old 07-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #17
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
im not sure where everyone gets the idea the 886s are too stiff of a ride without the added bumper weight on a dbl cab. they ride firm yes but feels solid and handle great. if u get 885's they may begin to sag in the future and if u do eventually wanna pack more weight up front your covered, its a no brainer
Old 07-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
im not sure where everyone gets the idea the 886s are too stiff of a ride without the added bumper weight on a dbl cab. they ride firm yes but feels solid and handle great. if u get 885's they may begin to sag in the future and if u do eventually wanna pack more weight up front your covered, its a no brainer
The new 885 coils are the 885x , they do not sag like the old ones .

If the OP has no intention of adding weight to the front , why would you settle for a firmer ride ?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Okay, at the beginning of this thread I mentioned price. Forget that. I have set aside 8 grand to fix it up like I want it. I had thoughts of going 6" with 33's but IMO that doesn't look good. So, I am gonna stick with 3". Price doesn't matter. I would like to be able to put it on myself, are there any write ups on how to install/ensure proper alignment once installed, on the lifts you guys have mentioned?
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The new 885 coils are the 885x , they do not sag like the old ones .

If the OP has no intention of adding weight to the front , why would you settle for a firmer ride ?

Definitely won't be adding weight by means of a hideous bumper (hideous to me anyways).

Products Discussed in this Thread