Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New suspension....advice please.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

ontarioyota's Tacoma Gallery
New suspension....advice please.

Truck...2001 regular cab 4x4 Taco with worn out factory suspension..118xxx miles

My needs
1 -mild off-roading, hunt fish etc

2 -carry 400-500lbs for work regularily in my bed as well as short
towing trips pulling 2000 lb trailer when hunting(10 mile trips)

3 not interested in lifting truck...just good suspension...I realize
that the truck will lift a bit compared to the worn out stock
suspension

4- want a safer more comfortable ride while carrying a load

After researching tons of threads here I am about to pull the trigger on an OME kit

Just looking for advice from the many smart TW members if this is a good choice for my needs and a few ?

Front
OME 880 coils with 90004 nitrocharger sport struts
Rear
CS046RA/B OME Dakar leafs springs with 60062 nitrocharger sport shocks

The supplier says this will give me about 2" lift...will this lift damage my CV boots with bad angles?

Will I need a diff. drop?

Are greasable shackles the way to go?

Will I need to extend brake lines?

Will my stock UCA's be OK?

Good set up for a reg cab?

Thank you very much for any opinions, answers and advice!!
Old 07-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #2
ontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to allontarioyota is a name known to all

Anyone??

Is this OME kit a good choice for my needs?

Thanks
Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i think the OME kits are good. i would just check that the leaf packs will be ok with the bed loaded up
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
You have chosen well. I would recommend greaseable front spring eye bolts as well as the greasable shackles. Your CVs will be fine, but you can add a diff drop if you would like, it will not hurt. Your stock UCAs will be fine as well.

good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
ome do not and i repeat DO NOT BUY THE PRO COMP LIFT KIT! i bought and installed it thinking it would be ok after asking the sales man and a tech at procomp well its not apparently they wait until after you install it to let you know about it.

the pro comp 3 inch lift kit is only for v6 models thats it. my lifted regular cab got 4.75 inches of lift from this kit due to the weight of the reg cab 4cyl being much lighter. now they won't help me at all those mother fuckers.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Now that Hans mentions it, I wonder how the Dakars would be on a regular cab. Mine is a DC and is fine, but the lighter weight of the RC might cause some harshness.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM   #8

Thanks everyone...keep it coming!

Since my Reb Cab is light with a 2.7 should I stick with the 880 coils or get 881 coils?

I may add a brush bar in the future but no heavy bumper or winch.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #10

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Get the 880s for sure.

My Dakars do squeak upon occasion, but I think that most leafs will after a while. Nothing some cleaning and lube won't fix.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmcq View Post
Now that Hans mentions it, I wonder how the Dakars would be on a regular cab. Mine is a DC and is fine, but the lighter weight of the RC might cause some harshness.
Yes ...it might be too stiff but I am loaded quite often...4-500lbs and the truck is used for short trips as a worker so I am willing to accept the RC loss! I have a 06 Tundra for pleasure driving.

Also noticed in my readings that the 2nd leaf from the bottom can be removed for improved RC should it be a crazy stiff ride.

Thanks for the input!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #12
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
yep my factory leafs squeaked a bit if i loaded the bed up now my add a leaf does the same thing. the phenomenon is not exclusive to ome by any means.

not to mention the guys that buy the ome kit for the most part quite literally wheel the shit out of their trucks i never hear any problems with them and they are an excellent company if you ever do have an issue.

ome is what i should have bought
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #13

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
My pleasure.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You have chosen well. I would recommend greaseable front spring eye bolts as well as the greasable shackles. Your CVs will be fine, but you can add a diff drop if you would like, it will not hurt. Your stock UCAs will be fine as well.

good luck and let us know how you make out.
Where do you find greaseable front spring eye bolts? I'm pretty sure that's the main source of periodic squeaking on my Dakars. In my lazy efforts of searching whenever it bothers me I've never found any, probably using the wrong words.

BTW - sent you a PM in case you missed it. Or maybe you are just ignoring me, it's cool.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:08 PM   #15
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
Where do you find greaseable front spring eye bolts? I'm pretty sure that's the main source of periodic squeaking on my Dakars. In my lazy efforts of searching whenever it bothers me I've never found any, probably using the wrong words.

BTW - sent you a PM in case you missed it. Or maybe you are just ignoring me, it's cool.
This eliminated my Dakar squeak

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho....php?p=3371352

Sorry for the threadjack OP

As you were gentlemen
Old 07-15-2011, 12:14 PM   #16

JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post

Wheelers had them. I have not installed them yet, they are sitting in the garage.

Sorry about the PM, I read it, then got busy with something, then forgot. I will respond now.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #17
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Wheelers had them. I have not installed them yet, they are sitting in the garage.

Sorry about the PM, I read it, then got busy with something, then forgot. I will respond now.
WTF have they always had them? I'm pretty sure I bought my leafs and rear greasable hangers from them, not sure how I could have missed that.

And no worries on the PM, you seem like a busy man.

To answer some of the OP's questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioyota View Post
Will I need a diff. drop?
Not necessarily, some people think they are required, others think they are useless. I had em, then took em off to fit a beefier skid plate. Seems like it didn't make a big difference in the CV angles. That's just my opinion.

Are greasable shackles the way to go?
Yes

Will I need to extend brake lines?
Probably not. I have the dakars on an extra cab V6 and I didn't need to. Just bent the bracket the brake line is connected to a little bit for some slack. And I've had the passenger rear tire stuffed with the driver's side hanging without is causing a problem.

Will my stock UCA's be OK?
Yes. This is another one that people take sides on. I have 2.5-3" of lift up front with stock UCA's. No problems with alignment or ride in years. Others say you need UCA's with any lift to get proper alignment. I think they just like perfect alignments. I'm fine with an in spec alignment. Again, just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
We're talking about a first gen here. I don't think anyone recommends replacement upper control arms for first gens.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Also, since you're interested in minimal height gain - definitely go the 880s rather than the 881s, especially considering it's a 4 banger regular cab.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
We're talking about a first gen here. I don't think anyone recommends replacement upper control arms for first gens.
They do, I don't get it, but they do. To each their own.