Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Pros and Cons of Sway bar removal on 2nd gen

View Poll Results: Should i remove my swaybar?
Hell yes take it off! 70 53.44%
You wont really see a difference. 10 7.63%
I wouldnt do it. 41 31.30%
Whatever you do dont take it off! 10 7.63%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sway bars are like condoms... With the sway bar on you feel safer... Without the sway bar the ride feels better.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #22
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Im gonna to get my coilovers on next week, i think i will leave it off and see how i like it.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #23
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
There is a noticeable body roll when my wife drives.....lol! She swerves anytime someone touches there brake. You just have to remember its off and the stearing is more sensitive. It makes the truck feel smoother in all other aspects and not so stiff up front! I would only remove it if you offroad. If its a street queen its not worth it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 AM   #24
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
I like mine off. Usually I can pull to one side then yank to the other and my truck will do a full barrel roll and land on all four tires to keep driving like nothing happend.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #25
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
I like mine off. Usually I can pull to one side then yank to the other and my truck will do a full barrel roll and land on all four tires to keep driving like nothing happend.
Did you double tap z?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:38 AM   #26
Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS
tacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud oftacobox has much to be proud of

tacobox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
Vid or it didnt happen
Old 07-17-2011, 09:00 PM   #27
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I still think someday I may fab up an off-road disconnect for it.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
ICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to beholdICONRacer is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sean K.
ICONRacer's Tacoma Gallery
i drove a FJ with some old DR coilovers and some TC arms with out the sway bar and i really liked it. I race alot and i really like to get a good "road feel" and use the weight transfer to get more bite. On the fj, it has a much higher COG than the 2nd Gens and i thought it was great. the only thing i felt was it pulled left or right on the fwy, but that could of been his tires and his alignment.

i did the same thing on my 3500 crew cab dodge, and i really liked it but it sucked for towing. cornering on the twistys or even around town felt good although the GF didnt like it.

i vote try it, and you will like it. in the snow the sway bar will induce a spin out, with the sway bar off it may help get the weight to the outside tires to help get more bite?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #29
TRD: Trail Ready Development
Gregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregero is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Gregero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
Did you double tap z?
that or R. Wonder how many shots he was able to dodge. Hope he went through the three gold circles too!

I love my ride without the sway bar. Feels more free and off road is bitchin without it. If ya don't off road much, leave it on. My girlfriend, who is shy and quiet, was a little afraid of driving it without the sway bar, but since she has, she says she can hardly tell the difference since she's not a crazy driver or anything.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running Icon Extended Travel COs and no swaybar. Tried a moose test at 40 mph today. The amount of body roll when swerving back was scary.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #31
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I'm running Icon Extended Travel COs and no swaybar. Tried a moose test at 40 mph today. The amount of body roll when swerving back was scary.
maybe the weight of your bumper caused the great amount of body roll compared to a stock or tubed bumper which doesnt weigh much?
Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #32
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Sway bars are like condoms... With the sway bar on you feel safer... Without the sway bar the ride feels much better.
ive read this somewhere on here haha
Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM   #33
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
maybe the weight of your bumper caused the great amount of body roll compared to a stock or tubed bumper which doesnt weigh much?
The bumper isn't much compared to the weight of the engine (366 lb) and myself (220 lb).
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #34
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket67 View Post
Ditched mine and it is PERFECT !!
rocket67......That truck is sick bro! Love that color!
Old 07-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #35
Oysterhead is on a distinguished road
Oysterhead's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone actually measured the downward wheel travel increase from taking the sway bars off?

Certainly depends on the shock...for instance, what's the delta between the sway bar length and:

1. Stock shock length
2. OME shock length
3. King or Icon length

Anyone know?
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
I've had mine off for two months or so now. I can take turns at a descent speed still, to the limit of tires actually. Sure you get more body roll on the highway but the only time it feels a little out of control is when you weave back and forth repetatively, and when do you ever do that in normal driving? Like someone said before, it feels weird at first as if one tire hits a pothole it will yank your car that way more abruptly. As long as you always have a firm hand on the wheel you should be fine. BTW, I drive 75 + - daily in Vegas, so abrupt manuevers have been made! Sorry my spelling sucks....
Old 07-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #37
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
How about for guys that have a LT set up? Is the sway the same for them? Mostly asking about the Allpro kit.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #38
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I would be concerned with having an accident and the swaybar become a legal advantage for the other driver.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #39
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Installed my coilovers today I ended up taking off the swaybar and so far so good.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #40
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterhead View Post
Has anyone actually measured the downward wheel travel increase from taking the sway bars off?

Certainly depends on the shock...for instance, what's the delta between the sway bar length and:

1. Stock shock length
2. OME shock length
3. King or Icon length

Anyone know?
they would all have to be at exactly the same ride height to compare anything