Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Pros and Cons of Sway bar removal on 2nd gen

View Poll Results: Should i remove my swaybar?
Hell yes take it off! 70 53.44%
You wont really see a difference. 10 7.63%
I wouldnt do it. 41 31.30%
Whatever you do dont take it off! 10 7.63%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Pros and Cons of Sway bar removal on 2nd gen

So i did some searching and couldnt find what i was looking for. So my question is just as the title says, what are the pros and cons of removing the swaybar? I know you get more flex offroad but are there any more benefits? Also whats the negative side of the arguement, any "holy sh!t" moments when having a swaybar would have been beneficial?

Thanks for the help guys. Also adding a pole to make it easier.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
So i did some searching and couldnt find what i was looking for. So my question is just as the title says, what are the pros and cons of removing the swaybar? I know you get more flex offroad but are there any more benefits? Also whats the negative side of the arguement, any "holy sh!t" moments when having a swaybar would have been beneficial?

I voted pull it off, but i'm a Xrunner haha
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
people talk about it like you're gonna roll the fuck over and die. i've had it off for what seems like forever now and drive 2hrs everyday. haven't had one "oh shit" moment. the ride feels better too. granted it's a bit weird at first, but you get used to it very quickly.

it's not like you can't ever put it back on..it takes 10min. take it off, drive it around, if it's too much, put it back on
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Facial bones colapse as I crack your skull in half
WTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWTtoolman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
WTtoolman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopDoctor View Post
it's a bit weird at first, but you get used to it very quickly.
Taken out of context, but, That's what she said!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I think maybe the search button only works for you
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
I think maybe the search button only works for you
I didn't even search. I scrolled down with my mouse's click wheel.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I didn't even search. I scrolled down with my mouse's click wheel.
Read as voice of Apu from the Simpson's:

"Such a thing has never been done"
Old 07-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
try it out. While not near other cars, do some abrupt lane change maneuvers. Report back on whether or not your vehicle stability control freaks out and thinks you're about to roll over.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #10
Hunter423
Hunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant futureHunter423 has a brilliant future

Name: hunter
Hunter423's Tacoma Gallery
i dnt have one i took it off when i had my 6" lift and 35s put on i get alot my flex and i dnt tell to much of a diff with out it on road iv taken turns at 30 to 35 and sharp not once did i feel like id flip or loose control
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Official TW Igloo Builder
cantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcantac09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hugh Jass
cantac09's Tacoma Gallery
you will have more sway and no bar.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah. The concern isn't when you gradually work your way into a high speed ramp turn that generates a lot of Gs pushing you against the side of the truck.

The concern is when you make a sudden directional change maneuver going from zero to say .7 G, more or less instantly forcing a quick and sudden "sway" into the body which has to follow the wheels and chassis that just changed directions under it

So if you do *that* and you're happy with the result - I say more power to you. Mine stays on. The philosophy on my rig is "daily driver sometimes driven on pretty tough trails." Removing the sway bar seems to me to be crossing the line over to "my hardcore trail rig that I still drive on the street."
Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #13
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i took mine off but i did it to install my lift and high clearance skid from all poo. when it was in stock trim and i removed i did not like how much body roll was introduced into normal driving. since the lift was installed though it handles like it was when it was stock i was not sure what to expect but, the stiffer coil over set up of the lift kit mitigated alot of the body roll despite it having a higher center of gravity.

like moose said try it out it only takes a couple of minutes to either remove or install it just do it where you have some room if some thing does happen to go awry. btw mine never set off the traction control at all and i tugged pretty hard on the wheel a few times.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, but you're still running those 700 lb ProComp springs on your regular cab, right?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post

Depends, couple ways to look at it, if you just offroad a little or once in a awhile & are on stock susp. I'd say leave it on.. If you've done a susp. lift & offroad then absolutely take it off so you can benefit from all the extra travel..

I've had mine off for over a year or so & it'll never go back on...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter423 View Post
i dnt have one i took it off when i had my 6" lift and 35s put on i get alot my flex and i dnt tell to much of a diff with out it on road iv taken turns at 30 to 35 and sharp not once did i feel like id flip or loose control
Que?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
DAN_FPC is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
DAN_FPC's Tacoma Gallery
i just removed my sway bar when i put my lift on, and it seems a little softer on the corners and when i go back and forth. But i also added bigger tires so im sure that doesn't help. I feel tottaly safe and dont think i will put it back on.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM   #18
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
A suspension lift raises the truck's roll center. That combined with the (usually) stiffer springs means you won't notice much increased roll if you take the swaybar off under normal conditions. From what I can tell, though, transient response is worse. The truck may roll over in the moose test (swerving one way, then quickly swerving back) if the swaybar is off.

Hilux failing moose test (note the driver cutting the wheel left to save it). A stock Taco would never do this even with VSC off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #20
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Odd coincidence that that video is called the "Moose Test."