TheGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Pro Comp is looking for a designer.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/egr/4285560317.html
Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #62
bshannon is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
bshannon's Tacoma Gallery
toytec lift

I just found out today after i ordered the procomp that it wont on my access cab 4banger...Thank you to this thread! However, I did find this...http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ons_p_233.html . It is a 3" LIFT WITH FRONT COILS & REAR OPTIONS. I am new to truck lifts and I am not trying to go and spend a bundle. Im not trying to build a rock crawler. All I want is to have a bigger tire and a level truck. I do a little bit of mudding and off roading which is why I want to stay away from blocks. Any thoughts on this kit or another kit that is equivalent in price?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #63
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshannon View Post
I just found out today after i ordered the procomp that it wont on my access cab 4banger...Thank you to this thread! However, I did find this...http://toyteclifts.3dcartstores.com/...ons_p_233.html . It is a 3" LIFT WITH FRONT COILS & REAR OPTIONS. I am new to truck lifts and I am not trying to go and spend a bundle. Im not trying to build a rock crawler. All I want is to have a bigger tire and a level truck. I do a little bit of mudding and off roading which is why I want to stay away from blocks. Any thoughts on this kit or another kit that is equivalent in price?
That'll work. But if you've got the extra Ben Franklins I'd upgrade the shocks to the bilstein 5100s.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #64
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
That'll work. But if you've got the extra Ben Franklins I'd upgrade the shocks to the bilstein 5100s.
In conjuction with the coils? Can that upgrade be something I do a little down the road after I do the initial lift?
Old 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #65
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
In conjuction with the coils? Can that upgrade be something I do a little down the road after I do the initial lift?
Yeah. labor and realignment is enough of a pain that I'd do it on the first pass if I could. If not - get what you're suggesting and do your shocks further down the line.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:24 PM   #66
Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Yeah. labor and realignment is enough of a pain that I'd do it on the first pass if I could. If not - get what you're suggesting and do your shocks further down the line.
So I was doing a little research. Do you think that the additional shocks will over extend the front of the truck because I have the 4 cylinder and cause it to have a back slope?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #67
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I was doing a little research. Do you think that the additional shocks will over extend the front of the truck because I have the 4 cylinder and cause it to have a back slope?
You mean, if you go with the 5100s instead of stock factory shocks? If you were to go with 5100s, you'd set the spring perch so it provides zero lift.

To do otherwise would be to "stack lifts" and yes that would be bad, not only because it gave you a 'back slope'

The reason to go with the 5100 shocks is that they are a single tube shock and hold more oil and so don't fade as much under hard use - and are valved better for lifted trucks.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #68
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
I put the pro comp springs with 5100's on my wife's FJ (as per 4wp's recommendations) it is HUGE, I had to add 1.5" spacers to the rear to make it level. I have already torn a cv boot. Can't wait to get rid of this crap and get new springs.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:46 PM   #69
Sciomar is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Justin
Sciomar's Tacoma Gallery
I also recommend any other kit besides something from Procomp, after the honeymoon stage wore off I realized it rides like shit. I have every intention of replacing this setup with an Icon one as soon as I can. Save your money for better options/companies folks this kit is not worth it.

Also, avoid 4 Wheel Parts, most of the people who work there definitely do not know what they're talking about when it comes to most off road topics and they are super quick to rip you off when it comes to installation fees.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #70
wenkev has a spectacular aura aboutwenkev has a spectacular aura about
Army: C 2/505 82nd Airborne
Name: Kevin
wenkev's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmith View Post
I just put the 3" procomp. I find the ride stiffer but not really a bad ride. The larger tires and wheels will come come later.
How does this kit work with a double cab 6 cyl?
Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #71
G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) sufferer
dionysis has a spectacular aura aboutdionysis has a spectacular aura about
Name: Jim
dionysis's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenkev View Post
I don't have it on a double cab v6, but I do have 650lb springs on mine and it rides rougher than stock. Putting 850lb springs on it will make it worse than an F350.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #72
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Dunno where 850 came from - ProComp springs are conventionally reckoned to be 730 lb/inch - still hella stiff.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #73
WildBill311 is on a distinguished road
Marines: 1st battalion 6th Marines
Name: Will
WildBill311's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the 3 inch Pro Comp lift and the guys at 4 wheel parts and at Pro Comp told me they recommend the lift with 1.5 inch blocks in the back instead of the lift with AAL's. They make both and they are the same price. Ive heard bad things about both. Anyone running the 3 inch procomp with rear blocks?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #74
Sciomar is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Justin
Sciomar's Tacoma Gallery
Blocks are never a good idea for a lift if you plan on actually going off-road with the truck.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:23 AM   #75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciomar View Post
Blocks are never a good idea for a lift if you plan on actually going off-road with the truck.
I thought the same thing but like I said both pro comp and 4wp said that 1.5 inch blocks would be fine off road. I did alittle bit of my own research and from what ive gathered anything over 2 inches can be bad and lead to axle wrap, broken driveshafts, etc. Also I started looking for videos online of anyone with rear blocks off roading or to see if anyone actually has a review of the procomp lift. I ran across expedition overland (which by the way was awesome, anyone interested in exploring/camping/Toyotas, should check it out on youtube) and their Tacoma has a deaver leaf pack to help handle weight but uses inch blocks also and that thing kicks ass off road. I think im gonna do the lift with blocks and if I have problems ill just buy the AAL's. I think they are pretty cheap
Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #76
And just to specify Im aware there are much better lift options out there. But this one is in my price range right now and I really only do any serious off roading maybe 10 times a year when im camping/hunting. And not serious like tackling obstacles in Moab but just like backwoods mountain trails
Old 03-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #77
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill311 View Post
I ordered the 3 inch Pro Comp lift and the guys at 4 wheel parts and at Pro Comp told me they recommend the lift with 1.5 inch blocks in the back instead of the lift with AAL's. They make both and they are the same price. Ive heard bad things about both. Anyone running the 3 inch procomp with rear blocks?
My guess is that they recommend the block rather than the AAL because the block is easier for the installer to put in.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM   #78
madhatter is on a distinguished road
madhatter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenkev View Post
It is not bad, hardly notice it. Not much different from stock. I installed it about two weeks ago, and I love it. Only problem is the U-Bolts are longer than they need to be, so expect to cut them shorter. The rear shock bushings are a little hard to figure out had to ask a mechanic the order. I haven't had any issues, if I do I would think it's because I did the install... I think it's a great lift, should gain a little more height once I put tires on it. Overall happy and satisfied with it.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #79
Oregon State Edition
JRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JRGMann's Tacoma Gallery
I have it on a dclb v6 and I find it is pretty harsh, but nothing I can't stand. I got it because it was in my price range as well, but honestly, I kinda wished I'd saved and got the OME lift cause I would like a slightly softer ride that doesn't jar when I go over a bump. I need to take a picture of the front and see what people say about my angles, cause I feel like my front tires kinda angle in towards the center line, but I can't tell and I don't know enough about the angles and everything to know how bad they are. I'm happy with the lift I achieved, but it does feel a bit stiff.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #80
D.Holliday is on a distinguished road

Army: US Army Infantry (5 years; Veteran)
Name: Jon
D.Holliday's Tacoma Gallery
3" Pro Comp Lift vs. Toytec/Eibach Coils and Billy Adj Shocks?

So between these two, 3" Pro Comp Lift vs. Toytec/Eibach Coils w/Billy Adj Shocks at its most setting (I'm guessing w/the extra top spacer plates), which gives the most ride height?

I hear the 3" Pro Comp yields over 3 inches of height, with a 720# (?) rating coil.. I also have seen those running the Eibach Coil with a 620# rating (correct me if I'm wrong on either rating), their Tacoma's look huge for a 3" lift. (TW member 'Toyota Tech31' is a great example, his truck looks massive!)

I've seen TW members using both kits (Pro Comp, Toytec Eibach w/Billy Adj's) and they both looks like they give over 3" of height. I know everyone will say the Toytec lift will be a better ride/better quality, and I respect their opinion, I'm just not too worried about ride quality, 5 years in the military i'm just to rough riding vehicles, I am interested in a higher ride height though.

Does anyone have an idea between the different ride heights? Is the Pro Comp kit a higher ride than the Toytec/Eibach lift? Any info would be great and much appreciated!