Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

*pro comp 3 inch complete coil kit*

Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
*pro comp 3 inch complete coil kit*

i'm starting this thread as a way of informing you guys with the 4cyl tacoma's that the pro comp 3 inch complete coil kit * was not designed for our trucks* they designed the kit for the V6 models of tacoma. they only used V6 carrying taco's to develop the kit.

apparently they knew this but, are continuing to sell and leave it up on there website in their configurator as a model specific choice for 2nd gen 4cyl tacoma's when in fact its not.

the spring rate for this kit is just over 720#'s the coils on my truck refuse to articulate in any way shape or form. also worth noting is the complete lack of down travel. both front and rear i achieved 4 3/8 inches of lift after 2 weeks and over 500 miles. the day of the instal the recorded measurment was 4.75 inches!!!!! so a fair warning is issued to all... this kit as per a pro comp tech was never intended for 4 cylinder tacomas.

on a side note if you have an arb bull bar the kit will begin to function properly but, a "HEAVY" plate steel bumper is what is needed and even then it will more than likely still yield more than the advertised 3 inches of lift. also it would be extremly wise to instal the differential drop with this kit i know some guy's will say to forget them and they do not do much but, i'm positive that if i did not install my diff drop i would have completely destroyed my diff. even though i had checked all this out with a pro comp technician & a 4wp's sales rep over the phone they said it would work fine. they also told me i would be able to retain my factory uca's lol well not at 4.75 inches of lift i ain't.

the company 4wp's needs to get their shit together and begin training their employees and making sure they know what they are selling. its unfortunate because the guys who are running this kit in their V6 tacoma's seem to like them. they just do not work properly on the 4 bangers at all

one more thing to consider for anyone purchasing this kit it rides very stiff due to the extremely high spring rate there is no way around this one.

discus...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:31 AM   #2
Dr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to beholdDr. Pepper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Matt
Dr. Pepper's Tacoma Gallery
That sucks man, I think this is the kit I'll be getting. Sad to see you can't use it. What are you going to do? Take the kit off or what?

Any pics!?

Edit: Just checked your build out, it looks good with the lift tho man!
Old 07-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thats what i'm saying its fcking big in person really big lol! lol sure it looks great but, if more than 3 inches of lift is your goal you need a drop bracket to align the cv's and front axels its just that simple.

it cracks me up because as i'm explaining this to the general manager of pro comp's customer service dept this man who claims to be incharge right under the actual owner greg adler. says he will send me out front coils ome 885 to be exact. when i said thats what ever what about the back he laughed and said yeah what about it!!!!!!!!! uh hows about the back is almost 5 fucking inches lol! his response,,,,,,, uh that will be fine it will look like factory!! i then just hung up on him.

they literally do not give a fuck it's unbelievable.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #4

oh and they expect me to eat the cost of labor. there was one other option which was to add a arb bull bar to front because after 2 weeks and 500 miles it is now at around 4 3/8 inches of lift. the bull bar would more than likely drop it another inch or .75 that would at least get me in the 3's and i believe it would begin to correct the problem.
they want to sell me that as well. for 700 dollars when i explained to him i quite literally just bought a really nice light bar and all pro skid plate and it was perfect for the way it was he said yeah right you want a bumper LOL! btw the bumper theory was advanced by his own tech and in a seperate call i made personally to arb to ask some questions.

the 886 coil that they would recommend for my truck would demand a bull bar and then it would be good to go so if the spring rates are identical or very very close this would be an option to for me and at least i'm not stuck paying labor and the rear will not 2 inches higher than the front.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with the 884 coils the 4 banger is really not heavy and you will run into similar problems with the 886 coils which are designed for heavier double cabs plus weight of a bumper and winch
Old 07-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
anthonyj326 is on a distinguished road

Name: anthony
anthonyj326's Tacoma Gallery
Man that sucks!!! Let me know if u r willin to sell if they don't take it back ill take it off your hands

Good luck with everything else
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

the nitro charger shocks that are in the ome kit are made by monroe in australia and a valved for their spring rates... pro comps shocks are made by monroe either in the us or mexico and are valved to work with their stiffer spring rates.

i was not really wanting to have a mismatched kit on a brand new truck seeing as i wanted and paid for a complete suspension kit designed to work in the manner it was engineered to. when i ordered the lift if the retards at 4wp's knew that they where selling me the wrong kit all together i would have just ordered the entire ome kit for whats now an obvious reason.

call it what you like but, i feel that they owe me a little better than a half ass solution like that in order to correct only half of the problem. because lets not for get the back is just over 4 3/8 while the front is a tweet hair under that. it would look retarded i wanted to level the truck not have a more aggressive rake than it came with.

this is all in vein though because i can't afford nor should i have to it's their fault they sold me the completely wron suspension kit for my truck. yes it can be bolted up to a 4 banger but, it is complete over kill due to the spring rates and they should have at least told me that much seeing as how i asked a shit ton of questions before and even after purchasing the lift.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
With apologies to Hans, and hoping I'm not rubbing salt in the wound:

This cautionary thread is a great opportunity to point out to folks that what the shops think of as a "professional installation" is NOT what you and I would think of as a "professional installation."

If I do a job for money - well, it's not right until everything works as intended and envisioned.

The shops have a narrower view. If the "selected" parts are "successfully" installed, they're DONE. Any resulting problems/unintended consequences/wrong part for the job are all on your own dime.

In other words - if they accidentally installed a Tundra lift on your Tacoma, or they mounted the spring perch upside down, well they'll fix that (though it may take some screaming on your part). After all "they're the professionals."

But if, as in Hans case, they over-speced the spring rate based on testing on a heavy truck well: "Sorry to hear that you're unhappy. Would you like us to sell you some different parts instead?" They don't even offer you the lubrication of free installation or purchasing the second set of parts at wholesale cost!

It is for this reason I recommend folks to do their own modification work, getting together with other TW members if necessary. Spend as many Saturdays as are required to get it right - after all, your truck is a labor of love. But when you do your own work, you're not burning money out of your wallet with a blow torch at the standard shop labor rate of a hundred bucks an hour.

Sorry Hans. Your situation really blows, man. My best advice to you is still to buy a used spacer lift off of a TW member. Then you can use your factory springs, (known to be at a reasonable spring rate) and install it yourself with help if necessary. That'll get your truck rolling safely (on road at least) with minimum further damage to your wallet. The limitations of spacer lifts are well known here on TW: you do NOT want to bottom out your shocks at speed with heavy loading. (Insert broken strut photo here.) But at least you can drive your truck, and at your leisure you can replace the spacer lift with something better.

Here's a used Toytec spacer you could buy on TW:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-add-leaf.html (You'll still need a set of 3 taller top-perch bolts from Toytec to complete the kit)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #11

the shop i took it to really is a top notch dedicated 4x4 shop and even i don't think that any of this should be placed on their head after all the lift was "customer supplied parts". now if i purchased the lift from them it would be a different story.

also let me point out that the tech at pro comp told me i could install the lift my self in only 3 hours in my driveway!! and when i called to express my concern with the way everything turned out with the lift the first thing they said was i hope you had it professionally installed because we can not stand behind our product when a customer who is untrained performs the installation his or herself

my response was, actually i did take it to a high end 4x4 only shop that has extensive experience with toyotas. they said oh well i still don't know what to do with this then the whole story went on from there.

i did some looking around and both 4wp's and pro comp carry a rating with the bbb that is extremely low respectively an f rating with the bbb for 4wp's and an d for pro comp themselves.

they simply don't care and thats the only reason why they will not make it right and apparently it is how they conduct a lot of their business matters. also i found another intresting little tid bit through the google search last night they apparently have a county prosecutor in ca. who is sueing them for false advertisement. plus another class action law suit for some other bull shit or another both are active and pending to my knowledge and both can be easily found through any search engine
Old 07-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #13

my family owns altogether 3 registered small businesses. i myself have one and would never treat any of my clients in this way neither would my father at his shop or for that matter or my mother at her travel agency.

also to acquire a rating with the better business bureau thats that poor you would have to have literally a shit ton of complaints lodged against you.

just some food for thought...

also i'm not berating the lift itself as i know of a few members on here and personally that have this lift installed on the correct model truck and they are very happy with it. it also happens to be a very good price for a complete coil over lift kit but, in my case well you know.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
i experienced the same on my dbl cab 6cyl. that lift is just a huge piece of crap. when i first called procomp and asked about the spring rate i was amazed when they said that it was 720#. i told them that it rode like shit, my alignment was all jacked and that virtually everything they posted about the kit was false. their response, go buy a new bumper that should help it out..
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #18
wolfman00 is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
wolfman00's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider contacting a lawyer. Alot of times, just the call to from a lawyer is scary enough for a company to start working with you.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pepper View Post
That sucks man, I think this is the kit I'll be getting. Sad to see you can't use it. What are you going to do? Take the kit off or what?

Any pics!?

Edit: Just checked your build out, it looks good with the lift tho man!
becareful i have heard stories of guy's even with double cabs getting 4+ inches.

it seems like even if you have the correct model truck it may still end up being way to much lift.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #20
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
720# springs should only be used in conjunction with a V6, plate bumper, and 90# winch.........end of story.......well besides the fact that who ever made up the kit at Poo Comp and did R&D has their head so far up their ass they can't see daylight.

I'm running 700# springs on my shocks and I only have four threads showing for my pre-load. My front end is also HEAVY.

You have Kings with a UCA? Are your Kings extended travel?