Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Toytec Coilovers (need help)

Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #1
jbb1073 is on a distinguished road
jbb1073's Tacoma Gallery
Toytec Coilovers (need help)

Hi!
I've got a 2009 4x4 TRD Sport QC/LB, and I've recently put a small lift on it. I went with Toytec coilovers, and I think they're rubbing my sway-bar when I take a turn over a bump (turning into parking lots when there's an incline/decline, etc.). It's really annoying.
At 1st I was thinking that my sway-bar brackets were the problem (relocation brackets are installed), but I took it all apart today & greased them thoroughly. That wasn't it.
While I was down there, I noticed that the outer part of the coil was really darn close to the sway-bar when the wheels are turned. I'm thinking that when I hit an incline/decline it's pushing the sway-bar up to the point where it's rubbing the outer coil (and making a horrible groaning sound).
Any ideas on how to fix this? I really like the look of the truck now, but it's not very functional... Playing off road is definitely out of the question until I get this fixed…

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
welcome to tacoma world jbb
Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb1073 View Post
Hi!
I've got a 2009 4x4 TRD Sport QC/LB, and I've recently put a small lift on it. I went with Toytec coilovers, and I think they're rubbing my sway-bar when I take a turn over a bump (turning into parking lots when there's an incline/decline, etc.). It's really annoying.
At 1st I was thinking that my sway-bar brackets were the problem (relocation brackets are installed), but I took it all apart today & greased them thoroughly. That wasn't it.
While I was down there, I noticed that the outer part of the coil was really darn close to the sway-bar when the wheels are turned. I'm thinking that when I hit an incline/decline it's pushing the sway-bar up to the point where it's rubbing the outer coil (and making a horrible groaning sound).
Any ideas on how to fix this? I really like the look of the truck now, but it's not very functional... Playing off road is definitely out of the question until I get this fixed…

Thanks,
Jeff
Keep me posted on what you find out and do. I just ordered the coilovers from ToyTec last week and installing next Friday...

Did you get the adjustable coilovers? What about struts? I ordered the 5100s.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
jbb1073's Tacoma Gallery
Sure. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow & possibly take some pics. I ended up going with the preassembled (just swap them out for original) coilovers. They ride great,,, until I turn & go over a bump at the same time (bad grinding noise). Otherwise,,, if I'm driving straight, they do great on uneven terrain.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow & possibly take some pics. I ended up going with the preassembled (just swap them out for original) coilovers. They ride great,,, until I turn & go over a bump at the same time (bad grinding noise). Otherwise,,, if I'm driving straight, they do great on uneven terrain.
Get it figured out?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #6
jbb1073's Tacoma Gallery
Nope, not yet. I took the wheels off & looked around, but couldn't really find anything that stood out. I did notice a small rub spot on the pinch weld portion of the mud flap (it was only about the size of a quarter). Judging from the sound I'm hearing, I doubt that it's the culprit.
However, I think I've ruled out the coilover rubbing the sway-bar theory. I looked at the inside bend on the sway-bar, and there weren't any marks. Again, judging by the awful sound, if it was hitting the sway-bar it would have left some pretty obvious evidence.
I guess I’m at a loss on this one. I’m going to remove the mud flaps & see what that does, but I’m not thinking that will do anything to help (other than maybe avoid a little rubbing).
If anyone has any ideas, please shoot em’ over. The sound I’m hearing is almost as if you’re rubbing a balloon with your finger (however, much louder & deeper with a noticeable quick vibration).
Old 10-22-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
that sure sounds like tire rub.
x2... I think your tire is rubbing - what size tires are you running?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
I'll 2nd that.

Go get your BFH and show the body mount whos boss.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:55 AM   #10
jbb1073's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys,
I've been paying more attention to it now, and maybe it is just a rub. I'm running 275/65/18s (32") with 2 1/2" of lift.
I've never heard the sound when I'm taking say a 45* angle into a turn, but any more than that (only when on an incline/decline) and I hear it. I've also heard it once or twice when backing up out of my driveway (which has an incline).
What's got me boggled is the sound it's self. I've heard tires rubbing many times, and it's usually a quick machine gun type sound. This is more like a groan/squeal (almost if rubber is touching metal). That's why I was thinking it was the sway-bar (or it's bushings). I'm going to try the BFH approach & see what happens. Probably get after it this weekend. I'll keep ya'll posted!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
jbb1073's Tacoma Gallery
Well, took the front mud flaps off this past weekend, and I have not heard the noise since! Guess it was just a case of the rubs...
Whew....
Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM   #12
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
great news jbb. that was an easy fix
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #14
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, took the front mud flaps off this past weekend, and I have not heard the noise since! Guess it was just a case of the rubs...
Whew....
good deal...