Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Kit or Leveling Kit?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #1
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Kit or Leveling Kit?

I am going to lift my 06 double cab trd 4X4 tacoma soon. I am trying to decide what I should do to lift it. Should I get a leveling kit, if so how many inches? Or should I get a lift kit? If I get a lift kit I dont want any higher than 3 inches. Which ever one that I do, I want to be able to put 285/70R17 tires on it with no rubbing without trimming anything. I want to put the smallest lift that will fit these tires on it because I dont like a whole lot of space between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel well. What should I do? If you can post pictures of what yours looks like that would be great!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
billy 5100s all around with a AAL with elbich(sp?) coils and probably need some UCAs as well.. wa la
Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
i recommend a full lift kit.

if you run 285's @ 3", you will have to trim something no matter what if you are saying that you absolutely do not want rubbing.

whether its the mud flaps, or the pinch weld, part of the plastic on the inner fender, cab mount, etc.. something will be rubbing and will need to be trimmed.

but really, its not a big deal. you can trim away alot and it will still look good. here you can see all that i trimmed:

stock:

this is the after pic of the body mount chop and trimming on the inner fender well. you can also see that the inside of the fender was trimmed too.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Logan22 is on a distinguished road
Name: Logan
Logan22's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the info. It is real helpful. I like the truck. NetMonkey, are you running 285's with a 3 inch lift? Does this make a big difference on the gas mileage and also does it make your speedometer a little inaccurate?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
OME lift with 885s and the dakar pack
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan22 View Post
thanks for the info. It is real helpful. I like the truck. NetMonkey, are you running 285's with a 3 inch lift? Does this make a big difference on the gas mileage and also does it make your speedometer a little inaccurate?
yes, 285's with a 3" lift.

i went with MT tires so that dropped my mpg by about 2-3. i am getting 15-16 mpg now whereas before, i was getting 17-19mpg. (click on the fuelly link in my sig to see my mpg history).

you can get a lighter 285 AT tire that wont affect your mpg as much as it did for me, but you can still expect at least a small drop when you go to 285's.

yes, the speedometer was a little off. i have a scanguage that i calibrated to my gps so i can always see my true speed. at 75mph (scanguage and gps reading) the truck speedo says about 71.