LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help

Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
cobb.bd is on a distinguished road
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help

I am installing the rear dakar leafs on my 1998 Tacoma Prerunner. I have the driver side leaf off and am in the process of installing the new dakar leaf, however I can not get it to fit correctly.

Just so I am clear, the CS046RA is for the drivers side and the + sign goes towards the front of the vehicle? If so, the front leaf eyelet hole is about 2 inches away from the mount with the center pin in postion.

Will I have to remove both sides at the same time in order to move the rear axle forward so these will both fit?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
CopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shedCopDoctor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Maximum Security Correctional Officer
Name: Matt
CopDoctor's Tacoma Gallery
bump
Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Note the ratchet strap in the top pic

Thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1005311
Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
TacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chris
TacoMal's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine one side at a time. It took a little moving around to get the holes to line up. Here is a good write up by bjmoose. You can see where he used the trucks stock bottle jack to get the holes to line up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ines-pics.html

Hope that helps.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Note the ratchet strap in the top pic

Thread
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post1005311
Well shit, wish I would have thought of that before I got impatient. Now I have both off because I thought it would make it easier...did I just create a FUBAR situation for myself?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMal View Post
I did mine one side at a time. It took a little moving around to get the holes to line up. Here is a good write up by bjmoose. You can see where he used the trucks stock bottle jack to get the holes to line up.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ines-pics.html

Hope that helps.
I read his right up and tried the bottle jack...no dice!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobb.bd View Post
Well shit, wish I would have thought of that before I got impatient. Now I have both off because I thought it would make it easier...did I just create a FUBAR situation for myself?

Oh, not even close to a FUBAR bro'......your still good !!
Old 07-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Now, is it easier/recommended to install the front bolt first or the rears?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now, is it easier/recommended to install the front bolt first or the rears?
Nevermind, figured it out. One down, one to go.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
cobb.bd's Tacoma Gallery
And...time! Just got the last one in, went pretty quick after I actually knew what I was doing. I finished the front last night, so all I need to do now is torque everything down and get an alignment.

I appreciate all of the help and recommendations in my time of desperation.

When I tackle something like this again, I think I may ask for some assisstance; it's a tough job for one person. Also, I might look for a larger workspace as my tandem garage felt like it kept getting smaller and smaller.
- Total time for the front: 3 hours
- Total time for the rear: 7 hours

Thanks again and here are some of my install pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help-imag0096.jpg   Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help-imag0140.jpg   Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help-imag0142.jpg   Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help-imag0146.jpg   Installing Dakar Rear Leafs...Won't Fit...Help-imag0154.jpg  

Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And...time! Just got the last one in, went pretty quick after I actually knew what I was doing. I finished the front last night, so all I need to do now is torque everything down and get an alignment.

I appreciate all of the help and recommendations in my time of desperation.

When I tackle something like this again, I think I may ask for some assisstance; it's a tough job for one person. Also, I might look for a larger workspace as my tandem garage felt like it kept getting smaller and smaller.
- Total time for the front: 3 hours
- Total time for the rear: 7 hours

Thanks again and here are some of my install pictures.

I never actually offered any solutions up, but when I R&R any rear leafpack, I hang which ever one is co-operating, but generally the front will be a little more fight sometimes because it doesn't move & since you'll have to flip a half shackle to pull in the rear, just hang the rear eyelett on the half thats on the frame, line up the other half, throw a nut on it (but don't torque anything yet, look down the very end of the spring towards the front, if all is well,it'll look like "one " spring, meaning that alignment of leafpack in relation to the affixed front eye & rear shackle is good, just tighten. Now slowly lower your frame with springs onto the axle, it should drop into the alignment hole on top, maybe a little nudge or tug to mate the 2, & remember to chock both sides of axle to avoid rolling ,etc;
then torque to specs.

But it ain't relavent bro' cause you figured it out yourself, good job, after you do it a couple times its really pretty easy if you prep for it...

Oh yeah OP, long side towards the back on 1st gens. , 2nd gens are center to center rear leafs