Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Alignment Help: 3" Toytec w/ Light Racing UCAs

Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
Name: Baron
BGrutter's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment Help: 3" Toytec w/ Light Racing UCAs

I just installed my Toytec Ultimate Lift two weeks ago (at the preset 3" height). Last weekend, I got around to installing my Light Racing UCAs. This week, I finally got my wheels and tires installed. At the same time, I had the shop (Tires Plus) do an alignment. I don't have the numbers in front of me (sorry, left them at the office).

The ride isn't terrible overall, just a little off, but when I get to about 40mph, I get a HORRIBLE shutter. It doesn't feel as bad once I get above 60, but if I look over at the passenger seat, I can see that it is shaking like crazy. Definitely not right.

Could someone please tell/show me what position you have the selector on the LR UCAs for proper alignment with this setup?

Also, what alignment numbers should I insist the shop set my truck to?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
also are your wheels balanced?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
BGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to allBGrutter is a name known to all
I can't imagine it's the driveline, because it's SOOOO severe. No, I've not installed it, but from what I've read, that usually is only noticeable on take-off. This is much more severe in the higher speeds.

I thought about the wheel balancing, but after talking to a buddy that has the same lift, he said it sounds like the same thing he had before he had his truck aligned.

Anyway, I had the tires/wheels balanced (Goodyear DuraTrac 285/75 on 16/8 ProComp) at Tires Plus as wheel. That could be the problem, but I'm unsure how to decipher.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the install instructions for the LR UCA's

Position ' D ' is the neutral setting which adds the 2 degrees of built in caster from the UCA's .

http://www.spcalignment.net/instruct...70-INS_WEB.pdf
Old 07-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Put your factory wheels and tires back on and see if the shudder goes away. If so, that suggests a wheel balance issue.

Is the shudder worse when you're on the gas, and less/goes away if you let off the gas or push in the clutch? That would suggest a driveline issue.

Good luck. Many things can cause a vibration and it takes a thoughtful, determined approach to run the issue down.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #6
BlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant futureBlueSteel has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
Name: James
BlueSteel's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same setup, LR UCA's and Toytec 3" Ultimate lift. Verify if you installed the UCA's correctly and definitely switch wheels and tires out for stock to check alignment and balance. I installed the UCA's at the 0 degree position and it aligned perfectly.

I had the same problem on aftermarket wheels and tires on my Mazda Tribute. the damn thing would vibrate me out of the seat at 65 mph and it turned out to be the wheels and tires.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Unfortunately, I really don't have time to swap out all of the wheels to test it. There is no difference when on or off the throttle. So, I'm pretty sure it's balance or alignment. I'm going to have to bring it in and tell them to fix it. But, it's be nice if I could give them ideal alignment numbers from others' experiences.

If anyone knows their numbers, of really appreciate a list or copy.

Thanks.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Have the shop try everything they can, then if they say no go start trying yourself.

I always let the shop fix their own hiccups, if you pay to get it done it should be done right.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Mr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr.Ed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr.Ed's Tacoma Gallery
Ins. Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrutter View Post
I just installed my Toytec Ultimate Lift two weeks ago (at the preset 3" height). Last weekend, I got around to installing my Light Racing UCAs. This week, I finally got my wheels and tires installed. At the same time, I had the shop (Tires Plus) do an alignment. I don't have the numbers in front of me (sorry, left them at the office).

The ride isn't terrible overall, just a little off, but when I get to about 40mph, I get a HORRIBLE shutter. It doesn't feel as bad once I get above 60, but if I look over at the passenger seat, I can see that it is shaking like crazy. Definitely not right.

Could someone please tell/show me what position you have the selector on the LR UCAs for proper alignment with this setup?

Also, what alignment numbers should I insist the shop set my truck to?

Thanks in advance.
I installed the same toytec kit + Dakars. The LR UCA's had A instruction sheet in the box. When we finished installing everthing. 1st thing I drove to NTB gave them the sheet. Had them ballance my tires & alignment. They printed me out a sheet that showed Left,Right for Front & Rear. The Actual, Before & the specified Range for Camber, Caster Toe, Included angle & Turning Angle Diff. I'd go back to Tires Plus and see what they say.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
I installed the same toytec kit + Dakars. The LR UCA's had A instruction sheet in the box. When we finished installing everthing. 1st thing I drove to NTB gave them the sheet. Had them ballance my tires & alignment. They printed me out a sheet that showed Left,Right for Front & Rear. The Actual, Before & the specified Range for Camber, Caster Toe, Included angle & Turning Angle Diff. I'd go back to Tires Plus and see what they say.
I have the printout of their established perameters, but I was curious what others are running with a smooth ride.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #11
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I have my LR UCA's in the neutral setting with the SPC logo facing out, and the ball joint unit pulled all the way outboard. I have 0 camber, 0.02 toe and 2.5 caster on both sides and it is like a dream... better then stock even.