Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Looking to add small lift

Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to add small lift

Hey guys, I don't really know much about lifts at all but I had originally thought about maybe just a leveling kit but after reading around on here a little bit im thinking about the bilstein 5100s. I'll still be running the stock size P245/75 tires so I was thinking about going to 2.5". And maybe an AAL in the rear. Does this sound pretty reasonable? Are there any parts I would need besides just the 2 5100s for the front and the AAL in the back? and where would be a good place to order? Thanks for your help!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILove2Drive View Post
Hey guys, I don't really know much about lifts at all but I had originally thought about maybe just a leveling kit but after reading around on here a little bit im thinking about the bilstein 5100s. I'll still be running the stock size P245/75 tires so I was thinking about going to 2.5". And maybe an AAL in the rear. Does this sound pretty reasonable? Are there any parts I would need besides just the 2 5100s for the front and the AAL in the back? and where would be a good place to order? Thanks for your help!
I would do a little more searching. Search 5100's and you'll find a lot of threads on them. As far as your proposed lift, setting the 5100's at 2.5 may require you to get new upper control arms to get your alignment within spec. Also, those skinny tires would look a little funny in my opinion with a 2.5" lift. Otherwise, an AAL is a good way to lift the rear, better than blocks.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
XXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
OP-how much you lookin to spend?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga-thanks for your opinion. I know I want to stay with the tires I've got as I just got them last winter so what would you say is reasonable for a more aggressive look 2" or even less? And darkgreen- as much as I need to to get it done right the first time even if I have to save a little longer
Old 08-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #5

Ok so after some more thought and looking into it, I'm thinking maybe getting the 5100s up front and setting them at 1.75 and getting either a 1 or 1.5" AAL for the rear to give it that all around lift and keep it pretty level. My goal is to leave everything else with all the stock parts to save on $$ but be good quality at the same time. Does this seem pretty reasonable or am I still off?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this... I bought a top plate spacer and rear blocks for mine from Zone Offroad, 160 shipped to my door.... I'll be installing tomorrow and will definitely be posting some pics.

Begin flame
Old 08-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
I don't think you'd even look that much different, especially if you keep those tires. Most of the 'looks' when you lift come from larger tires. I'd say get the billies, give yourself an inch and a half and call it good for now, then when you get new tires, crank em up a little more. Go too far and you'll want some UCA's.

FYI, those tires make your odometer roll faster than stock, i.e. your warranty is not going to last as long. For some reason all the odometers seem to be even compared to GPS on a 265 size tire.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
I don't think you'd even look that much different, especially if you keep those tires. Most of the 'looks' when you lift come from larger tires. I'd say get the billies, give yourself an inch and a half and call it good for now, then when you get new tires, crank em up a little more. Go too far and you'll want some UCA's.

FYI, those tires make your odometer roll faster than stock, i.e. your warranty is not going to last as long. For some reason all the odometers seem to be even compared to GPS on a 265 size tire.
Cool man. So are you saying to not even do the AAL? with it set at 1.5 you think it is noticable enough to be worth the $$ or would it be better spent on something else at this point? and are you saying the 265's make it roll faster than stock or the 245's? sorry just tryin to make sure
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ok so after some more thought and looking into it, I'm thinking maybe getting the 5100s up front and setting them at 1.75 and getting either a 1 or 1.5" AAL for the rear to give it that all around lift and keep it pretty level. My goal is to leave everything else with all the stock parts to save on $$ but be good quality at the same time. Does this seem pretty reasonable or am I still off?
Icon and Wheelers make an nice 1.5" 3 leaf progressive AAL that's pretty awesome. I went with that in the back and 5100's all around with Eibach coils up front. Overall, it's just under a 2" lift but rides much nicer in my opinion and retains a lot of the factory parts. Also, with a smaller lift like that, you don't look ridiculous with stock size tires. Below is the tire size calculator so you can see what changing tire sizes does to the tire dimensions and how if affects your speedo and odometer.
tire calculator
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
265s will make it roll at what is should be. The 245s make it roll faster than it should.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Jaredconat863 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jared
Jaredconat863's Tacoma Gallery
I have a rear tsb and billies set @ 1.75 with 265 duratracs . It looks good , rides great . You can always go up if you want .
Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
WaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the roughWaGood24 is a jewel in the rough

Air Force:
Name: Michael
WaGood24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredconat863 View Post
I have a rear tsb and billies set @ 1.75 with 265 duratracs . It looks good , rides great . You can always go up if you want .
^x2

I have different tires but the 1.75" was a lot more noticeable than I expected. And It'll be even more so with your skinnier tires. And the TSB raised the back about another 1"-1.5". I installed my 5100s with a friend and before putting in the TSB rear-leaf spring my truck was pretty much level. The good thing about doing the rear leaf TSB is the dealer alligns your truck for free and lifts the back a little bit. However, I did like my ride better w/o the TSB but it's still better with the 5100s than it ever was stock. All in all, my 1.75" or so lift ran me less than $300. Got the shocks from downsouthmotorsports.com. Good luck.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
265s will make it roll at what is should be. The 245s make it roll faster than it should.
Not true. 265/70R16s are only 0.5% larger in circumference than 245/75R16s, so any difference is negligible (~300 miles over the life of the warranty). The 245s are stock on non-TRDs so the odometer should be right the way it is.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #14

Cool thanks for the responses guys, they help a lot as im new to lifts . So I'm thinking the billies up front at 1.5 or 1.75 and the 1.5 AAL that pugga was talking about since i cant do the TSB now since mine is out of warranty. would i need the eibach coils also or will it still be good with only the billies up front?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool thanks for the responses guys, they help a lot as im new to lifts . So I'm thinking the billies up front at 1.5 or 1.75 and the 1.5 AAL that pugga was talking about since i cant do the TSB now since mine is out of warranty. would i need the eibach coils also or will it still be good with only the billies up front?
Billies at 1.75 and Eibach coils are an either/or decision. You can use your stock coils and set the billies at 1.75 OR you can use Eibach coils and set them at 0. Both will achieve roughly the same about of lift up front. Eibach coils are stiff and work with the 5100's at the 0 or 0.85 setting. You should not set them higher than that, it's too much preload for that stiff of a coil. In short, it's up to you! FWIW, I have Eibachs and am very happy with them
Old 08-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #16

Oh..I did not know that lol, cool! I would love to do that myself but I will save some cash if I do the billies as long as all the other parts will be fine left stock. And then with the rear AAL that should get me right about where I want to be . I don't need to replacing the rear shocks with the billies is purely optional, right?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #17

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh..I did not know that lol, cool! I would love to do that myself but I will save some cash if I do the billies as long as all the other parts will be fine left stock. And then with the rear AAL that should get me right about where I want to be . I don't need to replacing the rear shocks with the billies is purely optional, right?
Rears are optional but worth it. The 5100's do a great job dampening the stiffer leaf pack (stock leaf pack with the AAL). If you off road, you can top out a 5100 in the rear if you really flex the rear out. A lot of people do not have any issues with the 5100's in the rear and a 1.5" AAL, just letting you know of all the potential precautions.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Rears are optional but worth it. The 5100's do a great job dampening the stiffer leaf pack (stock leaf pack with the AAL). If you off road, you can top out a 5100 in the rear if you really flex the rear out. A lot of people do not have any issues with the 5100's in the rear and a 1.5" AAL, just letting you know of all the potential precautions.
Alright cool. So maybe 5100s front and rear and the 1.5 AAL and that be all I need to get? I don't offroad so the only time my truck is off the pavement pretty much is going up our old farm road and occasionally to play in some snow
Old 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #19
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Alright cool. So maybe 5100s front and rear and the 1.5 AAL and that be all I need to get? I don't offroad so the only time my truck is off the pavement pretty much is going up our old farm road and occasionally to play in some snow
Sounds about right. Be aware the Billies can only be set at 1.75" or 2.5" in the front. And my understanding is 2.5" may require new UCAs.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #20

Ok thanks man. So with the 1.75 the UCAs will be fine right? And the rear 5100s I will just set at 0 right?