Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME advice

Old 07-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #1
j cody is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
j cody's Tacoma Gallery
OME advice

I am about to order my OME lift kit and was wondering about the 885 vs 886 coils. I do want to put a front bumper on in the future and i know they suggest the 886 coils if you are going to do that, but do i really need them? Will it make the ride stiffer in any way?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by j cody View Post
I am about to order my OME lift kit and was wondering about the 885 vs 886 coils. I do want to put a front bumper on in the future and i know they suggest the 886 coils if you are going to do that, but do i really need them? Will it make the ride stiffer in any way?
886's are taller and stiffer than 885's so they will definitely ride differently. The 886's are recommended for a heavy plate bumper with a winch. Do you know what kind of bumper you're planning on running and will it have a winch? Some manufactures make aluminum bumpers that offer the same protection with a fraction of the weight.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
If you are definitely putting on a steel bumper , and want 2 1/2 - 3" of front lift , I would get the 886's
Old 07-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
j cody's Tacoma Gallery
i would probably try to find an aluminum bumper, but i will run a winch eventually. How much taller are the 886's? and im planning on running the Dakar Leaf Pack in the rear so would they be level?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i would probably try to find an aluminum bumper, but i will run a winch eventually. How much taller are the 886's? and im planning on running the Dakar Leaf Pack in the rear so would they be level?
I got the 885's and Dakars for my DCLB .

I am 2" higher in the rear than the front , but I did not add the top plate spacers for the full 3" up front , I got 2 1/2" .

Look into the RelentlessFab aluminum bumper , it is winch capable and only weighs 55 lbs
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
886's are 656#/in 885's and the 884's are 588#/in. The 886's I believe are just under 10mm taller than the 885's but the big difference is the spring rate.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
With 886s the ride will be stiffer until you put the heavier bumper/winch on.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
j cody's Tacoma Gallery
So your suggestion is getting the 886's might make the ride stiffer than i would want so i should go for the 885's and look for a light aluminum winch bumber? Very nice looking truck btw.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So your suggestion is getting the 886's might make the ride stiffer than i would want so i should go for the 885's and look for a light aluminum winch bumber? Very nice looking truck btw.
The 886's are designed for use with the ARB bumper and a winch. The ARB bumper is definitely on the heavier end of plate bumpers. If you're planning on running a 55 lb aluminum bumper then you might be better off with 885's and the top plate spacer. It'll ride a lot better before you get the bumper and still keep a lot of your lift once you do have all your armor on. If you do end up with a heavier plate bumper, you could always upgrade to 886's at that time.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those are the two ways of doing it .

Steel bumper , get 886's

No bumper or aluminum bumper , get 885's
Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #12
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I have the 886's with the ARB bumper and winch. The ride is great in the front and there was some settling over a couple of weeks due to the weight. The rear end is a pretty stiff ride with no gear in the rear. You only really notice it over the bumps. 886's are a safe way to go if you plan on adding lots of weight in the front, otherwise definitely go for the softer ride 885's. Just remember that your 885's will sag more in the front if you go the heavy steel bumper/winch route!
Old 10-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
tburd83 is on a distinguished road
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
With the 885's up front, and no top plate spacer, how much lift is usually achieved? I'm only looking for about two inches of functional lift. With this setup do you guys suggest replacing the UCA or can everything else stay stock. Also planing on adding the Dakar (light) leafs... I'm not planning on adding any extra weight anytime soon besides very occasional hauling/towing.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburd83 View Post
With the 885's up front, and no top plate spacer, how much lift is usually achieved? I'm only looking for about two inches of functional lift. With this setup do you guys suggest replacing the UCA or can everything else stay stock. Also planing on adding the Dakar (light) leafs... I'm not planning on adding any extra weight anytime soon besides very occasional hauling/towing.
885x coils , no spacer got me 2 1/2" up front on my DCLB 4x4

The Dakars gained me 2 3/4"

I added the LR UCA's
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #15

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I got the 885's and Dakars for my DCLB .

I am 2" higher in the rear than the front , but I did not add the top plate spacers for the full 3" up front , I got 2 1/2" .

Look into the RelentlessFab aluminum bumper , it is winch capable and only weighs 55 lbs
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburd83 View Post
See above for your answer. At 2-1/2" you should think about getting new UCA's. You could go with 884's on your double cab and be closer to 2" of lift but I'd imagine the Dakar leaf pack will put you pretty high in the rear. At 2" you won't need new UCA's. Have you thought about Eibach coils also?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
885x coils , no spacer got me 2 1/2" up front on my DCLB 4x4

The Dakars gained me 2 3/4"

I added the LR UCA's
Dammit, you're too quick for me!
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Sprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSprink669 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Sprink669's Tacoma Gallery
I have OME 886's with a arb bumper, warn 8000#, dakar springs and 285's and the rear is way too stiff for my liking for normal driving but when you get some weight in the rear it is nice! I have a 12' trailer with 2 snowmobiles and I can't even tell it is back there that's when the ride is smooooooth!
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #18
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
At Pugga, what size Eibach would be best to acheive a 2 in lift? I was also thinking about these with the 5100 and and Icon aal 1 1/2 inch. I think this might put more around where i want to be with some good function but not over 3 inches. At this point I'm not really ready change the UCA.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:52 PM   #19
tburd83's Tacoma Gallery
sorry about the missing words and grammar in that last post. i'm still at work and I'm a little distracted...