LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Vibrations after setting 5100's at 1.75 or .85?

View Poll Results: Vibes after Bilstein 5100 Install?
No Vibes at 1.75 or .85" 15 68.18%
Vibes @ 1.75 or .85" 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
Vibrations after setting 5100's at 1.75 or .85?

I will be installing the 5100's on my 2008 double cab 4x4 in the next week or so and want to set them at 1.75", but i have read many horror stories about the front diff bearings going after lifting the fronts on the 2nd gens as little as the .85" setting. I had the 5100's on my first gen at 1.75" for over a year and never had any vibe issues until i put on bigger tires and wider wheels (i think the increased weight and distance from the truck with the BS was the culprit on the small 4 banger).

So who all has had good and bad experiences with putting the 5100's at the 1.75" or .85" settings?
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
My 2" OME lift has resulted in plenty of driveline vibration. I've done everything to remedy it to no avail. I'm going to a specialty shop tomorrow to have a fabricated one piece drive shaft installed. If you do the lift and have vibrations, check your working angles first, and then just get a one piece. I'll let you know tomorrow how I made out! The 7105's should be available by mid September. I'm just settling for the 7033's. If you don't mind waiting, get the 7105's for sure!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #5
thebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebottomline is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thebottomline's Tacoma Gallery
1.75 inch installed and no vibration at all. Had a bit of a hassle getting it properly aligned, but overall it did well.
I also had the toytec 1/4inch spacer installed on the driver side, which leveled the front.

I posted awhile back on my experience with the installer in clarksburg, who did a good job but customer service was poor.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
ˇYo Quiero Taco World!
hamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shedhamNswiss on rye is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
hamNswiss on rye's Tacoma Gallery
added 1.75'' with little to no vibration, but then went up to a 265/75/16 tire from the stock 245s and have a pretty substantial vibe at 65-70mph. im thinking they had a harder time balancing the 265s or they werent as easy to align
Old 07-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
My 2" OME lift has resulted in plenty of driveline vibration. I've done everything to remedy it to no avail. I'm going to a specialty shop tomorrow to have a fabricated one piece drive shaft installed. If you do the lift and have vibrations, check your working angles first, and then just get a one piece. I'll let you know tomorrow how I made out! The 7105's should be available by mid September. I'm just settling for the 7033's. If you don't mind waiting, get the 7105's for sure!
did you lift the rear as well? thats prob where your vines are coming from which shims or a carrier bearing drop could prob alleviate most of that...i'm more interested in ppl that developed the vibes from front lift only. and prob won't be able to get the wheels till the fall so i will have forced patience for the 7105's haha.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamNswiss on rye View Post
added 1.75'' with little to no vibration, but then went up to a 265/75/16 tire from the stock 245s and have a pretty substantial vibe at 65-70mph. im thinking they had a harder time balancing the 265s or they werent as easy to align
the 265s shouldn't be that hard to balance unless you have like d or e rated tires. Just go for the road force balancing at a shop that knows what their doing and that should help out tire problems. I'm gonna run down my stock 265/65/17 yokos and i will only go up to a 265/70 sometin, had 32x11.5 R15 on my first gen and that much tire is pretty hard to balance especially when its C rated but road force balancing alleviated most balance issues. I just had other issues develop cuz i think that combo was too hard on the little 4 cyl haha
Old 07-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
harley70 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dave
harley70's Tacoma Gallery
I had a 3" lift on my 2011 Prerunner and have had a vibration when I take off since. I am having it taken back off. I talked to some others that have done a lift and they all say the same thing. You will start getting a vibration and then it will start getting worse and then it will start squeaking.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Fletcher007 is on a distinguished road
Name: Hollywood
Fletcher007's Tacoma Gallery
i have the 5100's lifted to 1.75. And the tsb leafs in the rear. I don't feel any vibes, but then again i hav mud tires, so i can't hear a damn thing either!!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #16

thanks for your input fletcher thats what i am looking for just responses from ppl with front lifts only. Most ppl responding on here have done a rear lift as well which IS NOT what i'm doing haha. w/o a cb spacer, shims, etc most if not all are gonna have vibes with the rear lifted as well since the driveshaft is all out of whack
Old 08-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #17

Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I read a post some time ago where someone had done a complete 3" lift to his tacoma and of course ended up with vib issues. He tried everything and nothing worked until he took out his dakar leaf springs and brought the rear back down to stock, or near stock, height. After that he said his truck rode better than stock! So, I'm thinking if you are only going to lift the front, it should be no problem.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:50 AM   #18
Izzapac is on a distinguished road

Army: Combat Medic
Izzapac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
thanks for your input fletcher thats what i am looking for just responses from ppl with front lifts only. Most ppl responding on here have done a rear lift as well which IS NOT what i'm doing haha. w/o a cb spacer, shims, etc most if not all are gonna have vibes with the rear lifted as well since the driveshaft is all out of whack
I had 5100's installed all four corners in July. No TSB or anything in the rear, and set the fronts at 1.75. Driving away from the shop I could feel that the ride was SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED. I no longer felt every bump in the road. However, I do feel a slight vibration, starting around 30mph and fading out around 65mph. It's not a terrible vibration, but noticeable in the floor, pedals and steering wheel. From what I've read in many threads here, it is a strong possibility that lifting the truck has uncovered (or aggravated) an existing problem with the front differential bearing. Apparently, (fingers and toes crossed) this is an issue more because it's irritating, and NOT so much because it is unsafe or could cause a catastrophic failure. Sometime next week, I think I may drop the front to .85 and see if that alleviates any of the problem, or at least lessens the vibes. Other than that, no real issues after the level. Hope this helped.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
Iakopa84 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jake
Iakopa84's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wanting to get the Toytec lift for my truck soon.... Is the vibration issue a problem only for 4x4's or is does it also occur on 2wd's as well?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #20

Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I recently figured out that my vibration was caused by a bearing problem in my front diff. The tech told me that it wasn't going to hurt anything and certainly was not a safety issue, just annoying. There is a tsb out on certain years of tacomas and tundras. Just not my year(2006), so I'll be paying out of pocket. Oh, and a good way to tell if that is your problem is to put it in 4hi and see if your ride smoothes out through the rough speeds.