Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suspension Suggestions

Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
BmanDad is on a distinguished road
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Suggestions

Remember, I'm totally new to offroading...

OK, still don't have the Taco yet (will be a 2011, OR, TRD, 4x4, rear locker, etc), but I'd want to upgrade the suspension when I get her.

I'd be doing mostly mild trails and hit the desert on occassion for higher speed fun.

What upgrades would you all suggest? Coilovers? 5100's? I'd want no more than like a 2 inch lift... so, what size tires would work best in this hypothetical setup?

Thanks again for helping me plan my future!
Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
5100s.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
fox coilovers
Old 07-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Check out down south motorsports
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post

Not in the rear.....damn it
He said 2 inch lift but I guess he will be "offroad." 5125 or 5150 then.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not in the rear.....damn it
It's debatable
Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
there we go

meh....I concur but.....if someone was nice enough to warn me not to get those POS shocks I would be much happier and so would my drive train.
x2, I'm glad I got mine used and for a decent price and that my truck is a pavement pounder otherwise I'd be pissed also!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
Fox resi > 5100
All day
Old 07-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #11
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks... so Fox, King, Icon, SAW coils in front, Fox, King, Icon, SAW shocks in back. Whats the new leaf pack thing? I know its the leaf spring, but please enlighten the ignorant one here (aka: me).

*Is a 2" lift worth it? I mean to say, is it versatile or would I be better off with 2.5" or 3"?!

How about tire sizes? I'd likely want the biggest I could get under there and still have some travel for trail work.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:19 PM   #12
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
IMO 2" of lift is better then 3" for your conditions and many other conditions. The higher lift you go the less down travel you have. You loose some ground clearance vs a 3" lift but who cares. I'm much more likely to hit a pot hole then bottom it out.

For what you want I think youll be fine with a progressive aal instead of a new leaf pack. Will you be hauling or towing stuff? Whats you primary uses for the vehical?

Ok, what's aal?!?!

So, given your statement that the higher the lift, the less travel... I could care less if the vehicle is raised, I just want performance (wheel travel, obstacle negotiation... general off road performance enhancement). So would it be wise to get the coilovers and shocks mentioned here, but to NOT raise the height of the truck? I mean if it rides 9-10" off the ground, but can take a trail and some desert high speeds and maybe a short jump here and there, I'm fine with 9-10" of ground clearance.

The Taco will be a weekend/errand vehicle... no major hauling, just family items. It'll see some offroad work for sure... I'm in socal, so it'll be mostly trail and desert.

*Ideally, I'd turn the Taco into a truck that LOOSELY resembles the capabilities of a mini-Ford Raptor, but with more trail friendly tunings.

*I'm coming from a muscle car into the offroad world, so please forgive my ignorance.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
AAL - Add a Leaf

What's your budget for this lift, that would help narrow down a product range.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
AAL - Add a Leaf

What's your budget for this lift, that would help narrow down a product range.
AAL: gotcha. Thx

As for budget: Nothing INSANE... a grand or two, give or take... it depends. I would want it done right the first time, without going balls deep and making the wife want to file for divorce, you know?!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
BmanDad's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanDad View Post
Is a 2" lift worth it? I mean to say, is it versatile or would I be better off with 2.5" or 3"?!

How about tire sizes? I'd likely want the biggest I could get under there and still have some travel for trail work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmanDad View Post
So, given your statement that the higher the lift, the less travel... I could care less if the vehicle is raised, I just want performance (wheel travel, obstacle negotiation... general off road performance enhancement). So would it be wise to get the coilovers and shocks mentioned here, but to NOT raise the height of the truck? I mean if it rides 9-10" off the ground, but can take a trail and some desert high speeds and maybe a short jump here and there, I'm fine with 9-10" of ground clearance.

The Taco will be a weekend/errand vehicle... no major hauling, just family items. It'll see some offroad work for sure... I'm in socal, so it'll be mostly trail and desert.

*Ideally, I'd turn the Taco into a truck that LOOSELY resembles the capabilities of a mini-Ford Raptor, but with more trail friendly tunings.

*I'm coming from a muscle car into the offroad world, so please forgive my ignorance.
Anyone else care to offer an opinion?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #16
King , dsm dezert runner uca, add a leaf or possible leaf pack like dakars?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #17
Mytidawg is on a distinguished road

Name: Vince
Mytidawg's Tacoma Gallery
BmanDad......I hear yea...you're clueless....if you got the coin then see below

I just got this lift on my Tacoma....and it is the best mod yet!

my buddy Joey at Infamous Metal Works in Santa Clara did it....this guy is legit.....

King coilovers up front....Total Chaos Upper Control Arms...King shocks in the rear....with an add a leaf.....the truck rides so far from stock...F stock!

all i've heard is really dont lift with spacers...

I'm waiting for wheels ....method wheels on backorder...truck looks like a scared cat till i get the "set-up"

Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #18
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
If he doesn't plan to go crazy wheeling I think fox, king and icon are over kill. The Old Man Emu setup sounds like it'd be perfect IMO
Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
Mytidawg is on a distinguished road

Name: Vince
Mytidawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
If he doesn't plan to go crazy wheeling I think fox, king and icon are over kill. The Old Man Emu setup sounds like it'd be perfect IMO

Overkill???

whatever dude.....this from a guy showing some idiot crapping himself....really nice

seriously....why bounce around on the road with a weak lift.....get what all of us want...a bitchen top quality ride.....enuff said....now go crap yourself
Old 08-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blang
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytidawg View Post
Overkill???

whatever dude.....this from a guy showing some idiot crapping himself....really nice

seriously....why bounce around on the road with a weak lift.....get what all of us want...a bitchen top quality ride.....enuff said....now go crap yourself