Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 884 Re-thinking

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

slimcubby's Tacoma Gallery
OME 884 Re-thinking

I have heard here and there that some people with Access Cabs experience sag with there 884 coils??? And say they wish they went with the 885's???

I bought some 884's and now am contemplating installing them and exchanging them for 885's? What do you guys think? I will be installing the OME coils on my 5100 billy's. I really don't want to regret installing the 884's and time go by just to notice they start to sag.

I know Chris4x4 will have some good input on this since he is the Guru with OME I look forward to hearing what ya think about my dilemma

Thanks!!
~Slim
Old 10-21-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
How much more lift does the 885's offer over the 884's?

Do they cost the same?

If you're running 5100's with lift coils and you actually experience some sagging - then you can adjust the 5100's to compensate for the sagging regardless of what lift coil you are running.

Do you plan on mounting a bumper & winch on the front?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
slimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant futureslimcubby has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
How much more lift does the 885's offer over the 884's?

Do they cost the same?

If you're running 5100's with lift coils and you actually experience some sagging - then you can adjust the 5100's to compensate for the sagging regardless of what lift coil you are running.

Do you plan on mounting a bumper & winch on the front?
Yea they cost the same... I don't plan on putting anything heavy up front.

I didn't know that you could go up a notch on the 5100's with the 884 coils?? Has anybody done this? Maybe going one notch up would eliminate having to use a top plate spacer to achieve the full 3"? If anybody knows more about this please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimcubby View Post
Yea they cost the same... I don't plan on putting anything heavy up front.

I didn't know that you could go up a notch on the 5100's with the 884 coils?? Has anybody done this? Maybe going one notch up would eliminate having to use a top plate spacer to achieve the full 3"? If anybody knows more about this please let me know.

Thanks!
You should do some more research on the 5100's.

The 5100's (for the front) are an adjustable coilover strut/shock. You can run the 5100's with your factory coils and adjust them to get 2.5" lift.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:56 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
OME used to have a problem with sagging issues on all their spings. They have fixed the issue, and seem to be no more likely to sag than stock springs. Mine only settled 1/4", and the end result was a 3" lift without useing the spacer.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
You should do some more research on the 5100's.

The 5100's (for the front) are an adjustable coilover strut/shock. You can run the 5100's with your factory coils and adjust them to get 2.5" lift.
Oh I know that, my current setup is that exactly 2.5" on stock coils.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
OME used to have a problem with sagging issues on all their spings. They have fixed the issue, and seem to be no more likely to sag than stock springs. Mine only settled 1/4", and the end result was a 3" lift without useing the spacer.
Chris,

Is it possible to use the 5100's on any other setting other than stock on the OME 884's? I am going to cross my fingers and pray that I settle at 3" without having to use any top spacers. I measured my truck the other day and I am about 1 1/2" taller in the rear with my current setup at 2.5" 5100's. That was on level ground at a gas station with nothing in the bed.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Chris,

Is it possible to use the 5100's on any other setting other than stock on the OME 884's? I am going to cross my fingers and pray that I settle at 3" without having to use any top spacers. I measured my truck the other day and I am about 1 1/2" taller in the rear with my current setup at 2.5" 5100's. That was on level ground at a gas station with nothing in the bed.
Its not recomended, but, seeing as they supply a 1/2" top spacer, you "Could " adjust the 5100's on the lowest setting, but it would be more stiff of a ride.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Its not recomended, but, seeing as they supply a 1/2" top spacer, you "Could " adjust the 5100's on the lowest setting, but it would be more stiff of a ride.
Ok bottom notch I go! I don't want to make it much stiffer. Anybody have any clue as to the life of these shocks? It gets me worried sometimes knowing that my bottom plate is staying in place by a thin tiny C-plate (don't know what its called) What if that thing rusts or snaps??
Old 10-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok bottom notch I go! I don't want to make it much stiffer. Anybody have any clue as to the life of these shocks? It gets me worried sometimes knowing that my bottom plate is staying in place by a thin tiny C-plate (don't know what its called) What if that thing rusts or snaps??
Bilstien makes a quality product. The "C" clip is plenty strong for a LONG time. I have run one of my trucks with Bilstien shocks for 80,000 miles and they were still fine.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Bilstien makes a quality product. The "C" clip is plenty strong for a LONG time. I have run one of my trucks with Bilstien shocks for 80,000 miles and they were still fine.
Ok cool... do you think I should replace the C clip with a new one once I lower the height and put on the 884's? Or is that not needed.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Ok cool... do you think I should replace the C clip with a new one once I lower the height and put on the 884's? Or is that not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I thought the same thing about that little ring when I took the shocks out of the box...
I dont think its nessesary. Look at the area that the ring has to support the load. It may look small, but given the size, its very much over engineered. The ring only has to support the load on one plane, up/down. I have seen similar "C" clips hold tens of thousands of lbs. force.
If you ever get the chance, see if you can tour an suspension R&D facility. They put those things thru hell!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM   #14

Quote:
I dont think its nessesary. Look at the area that the ring has to support the load. It may look small, but given the size, its very much over engineered. The ring only has to support the load on one plane, up/down. I have seen similar "C" clips hold tens of thousands of lbs. force.
If you ever get the chance, see if you can tour an suspension R&D facility. They put those things thru hell!
Ok cool thank you for your input! I feel at ease now lol.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #16

Oh Chris I forgot to ask... about the rear suspension I am running Wheelers AAL and stock shocks. I want to upgrade my rear shocks do you think the 5100's are enough or should I go with a more longer travel shock? I do very little offroading but would like it to perform well if I do and I use my truck for work always have a big load in the bed around 100-350 pounds easy.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Chris == wealth of knowledge!!!
LOL, thanks, Buddy!
Old 10-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Oh Chris I forgot to ask... about the rear suspension I am running Wheelers AAL and stock shocks. I want to upgrade my rear shocks do you think the 5100's are enough or should I go with a more longer travel shock? I do very little offroading but would like it to perform well if I do and I use my truck for work always have a big load in the bed around 100-350 pounds easy.
Im running the 5100's in the rear. I have the TSB springs and an AAL, and I beat my truck pretty good. Many people have told me that I would need 5125's, but these 5100's ride super nice, and dampen every load I have had in the bed, i.e. 800+ #'s plus towing my boat.
Off road, these shocks allow the rear springs to flex just like stock, and they track rough roads perfectly. Im really happy with them.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #19

SOLD.

Thanks!