Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Rear reservoir mounting.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Rear reservoir mounting.

I jumped on the deal from DSM a few days ago. I got my rears installed, and for now I piggybacked the reservoirs, but the lines are a little long and after doubleing back, they come a little close to the tire. Probably nothing to worry about but I think I want to mount them somewhere else.

They came with the weld-on mounts from DSM, but what I'm thinking about doing is drilling the tabs on the mounts and attaching them to the bed inside the fender well. I would use machine bolts to the right length and keep the heads inside the bed, adding a rubber washer to prevent water intrusion.

Has anyone done this? While I can get someone with a welder, it just seems easier to do things this way. Only downside is that is they are a little more in view, becoming flashy to the public.

Ideas? Mainly I'm just looking for opinions, I'm pretty sure it will work with no problems.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
drilled holes in the frame for mine. no issues with theft, but i live in a pretty safe area as well.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery

Old 07-30-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
U.S.M.C.
bowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of lightbowzerdoo77 is a glorious beacon of light

Marines: HQ BN Truck CO 2nd Marine Division, RS Salt lake city, 6th Marine Regiment, 7th Marine Regiment
bowzerdoo77's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to bowzerdoo77 Send a message via Skype™ to bowzerdoo77
will these work with a truck with a 6 inch lift? they look cool..
Old 07-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
You guys don't care that its rubbing on the bump stop?
Its not rubbing. I have about 1/4" of clearance, and there are no signs of wear on the hose.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same Icons, and they don't rub either.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
05offroad's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine on the bump stop mounts as long as you place the mounts with the shocks on. Another thing to watch is the hose rubbing the side of the shock mount. If you angle the fittings out a little bit to clear the shock mounts you'll have a perfect gap when it comes to the bumpstops
Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

you won't have any clearance issues

Old 07-30-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed05offroad is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

That's exactly it. As long as you set the shock and an angle and tighten it down pretty far so it wont rotate, you'll be good to go
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post

Wasn't worried about clearance mounting em that way, I knew they'd clear...haha.

Thanks guys, I guess Ill drill into the frame, even though I don't want to.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #12

i'm confused what clearance you're worried about then.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Wasn't worried about clearance mounting em that way, I knew they'd clear...haha.

Thanks guys, I guess Ill drill into the frame, even though I don't want to.
Why don't you weld on tabs or have some welded on? Then if you take them off for whatever reason you won't have holes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05offroad View Post
Why don't you weld on tabs or have some welded on? Then if you take them off for whatever reason you won't have holes

I have them.

The whole original point of this post is to see if anyone had mounted them to the bed. Instead, I got tons of pictures of what I already knew. Obviously no one has done it... it was just a random idea that would make life pretty easy.

Either way, I'm not doing anything until next weekend probably, which is mod day, so a welder, or a drill will be present.

The clearance issue was due to the fact that I have them currently piggybacked, its only temporary.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #15

oh, i see. i thought you were talking about clearance with them mounted to the frame or bed, didn't realize you were talking about while they were piggybacked. my bad.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #16

Quote:
I have them.

The whole original point of this post is to see if anyone had mounted them to the bed. Instead, I got tons of pictures of what I already knew. Obviously no one has done it... it was just a random idea that would make life pretty easy.

Either way, I'm not doing anything until next weekend probably, which is mod day, so a welder, or a drill will be present.

The clearance issue was due to the fact that I have them currently piggybacked, its only temporary.
Oh I see. You could move your bump stop to the axle, so it would hit the frame. cut the factory strike plate off and move the shock mount to the spot where it was. Only ting to worry about then is the length of the shock housing