1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV Boot Slide - 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pAP, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Has anyone done the boot slide mod on a 2nd gen Tacoma with success? I see a lot of talk about it working on the 1st gens. I just got a 2011 Taco and have a 3" lift and the inner boot ribs are rubbing. I had an 2009 Taco with the same exact lift (measured the same too) with no rib rub at all.

Cant I just cut the clamp off, slide the boot down the shaft, glue and re-clamp? I have heard this method works for a 1st gen.

Other people prefer taking the whole boot off and spacing it out like here> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/146070-boot-slide-mod-no-more-blowing-cv-boots.html

Thanks
    Pap

2. Aug 12, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    Try at your own risk but this has been working really well for me. I guess the worse that could happen is the boot slides back.

Here is what to do:
    1. remove the clamp from the inner axle shaft. you can pry it off with pliers and a screw driver. Just be care not to damage the boot.

2. clean the shaft and slide the boot end down the shaft 3/4". Try to slide it once as the grease will get under the boot if you keep moving it back an forth. I also put some RTV sealant on the shaft before sliding it down. The RTV will dry and create a seal and help the boot from sliding back.

3. Reclamp with a cv boot clamp. I got the factory ones. They are narrower and don't have sharp edges like regular screw clamps.

Here it is after I slid it down. Look at that fin clearance with 3" lift!
    [​IMG]

You will also need a pair of CV boot clamp crimpers for the CV clamps
    [​IMG]

So far, after almost two weeks of driving, the boot hasn't slid back to the original position.

3. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:32 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    The fins were rubbing real bad with a 3" lift. Passenger side was rubbing a lot worse than drivers. It must be the way the factory clamps the boots on these cv's. Like I said before, my 09 didn't have any fin rub with the same lift.

This was my boot before I slid it down. I had the clamp off at this point.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313281728.385211.jpg

4. Aug 13, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    I can see how they would slide back. Hopefully mine don't do the same but am prepared to pull the axles, pull the boot back and put a rubber spacer behind the the new clamped location. Just like the link above.

Let me know how your fix works out. That may be able to be done without pulling the axle.

5. Aug 19, 2011 at 3:38 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Apply the RTV on the shaft before you slide the boot. So, you are sliding the boot over the RTV. Not a lot or it will be too slippery and make it hard to keep the boot in one place while trying to clamp. Also, clean the shaft before you apply the RTV.

6. Aug 23, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    This seems like it may extend the life of the boots, but it will not alleviate the extra wear on the CV's themselves caused by the steeper angles. Good idea for the boot life either way.

7. Aug 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Yes boot life extension. Not meant for saving the joints. Keep the lift below 3" and CV's should last a long time.

8. Aug 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM
    korslite

korslite Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    DCLB Sport
    FOX 2.5 RR's, TC UCAs, TC Spindle Gussets, Allpro Expedition leaf pack, Fox 2.O RR w/ Comp adjusters, 17" ATX Artillery, BFG AT 285's, de-scooped, custom sliders, custom bedrack, Brute Force Fab bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, ARB locked Rear diff
    Yep, got it. Think i'm only running about 1.5" lift. Just thought I'd chime in cuz it seems some people get the CV boot issue mixed up with the actuall mechanical wear on the CV's. Not tryin to knock the idea at all.

9. Sep 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM
    lithous

lithous Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Billet grille, pro comp 3"lift. Tint, LR UCA's, De-Badged
    How is everything working out? Any movement in the Boots?

Getting ready to do this as well, if everything is holding up

10. Sep 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    They haven't moved at all. So, working out real well. No more fin rub!

Pap

11. Sep 6, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    hellrazor004

hellrazor004 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB
    Sounds like a great idea. Thanks

12. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:06 PM
    lithous

lithous Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    Billet grille, pro comp 3"lift. Tint, LR UCA's, De-Badged
    Thanks for the replies! I just finished doing it. just used some regular hose clamps for now. I will replace with the correct clamps later.

13. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    covefrog08

covefrog08 swollen member

Member:
    Vancouver Island- Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 w/west coast pin-striping
    devil horns, weather tech floor mats, Camo seat cover, window visors, premier deck w/ 6 speakers and sub, checker plate tool box, diff breather relocate, Mag light & Fire Extinguisher behind seat
    do any of you guys have any diff drop kit installed to help reduce the cv angle?

14. Sep 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Diff drops on second gens have no discernible effect on CV angles.

15. Sep 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    No. they are worthless for the amount of "real world" drop you get out of it.

16. Oct 3, 2011 at 1:21 AM
    20toytaco03

20toytaco03 20toytaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    dylan
    cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4
    My cv axle slides a little but its leaking what do i do?

17. Oct 3, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    wbr775

wbr775 Desert Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Weber
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    06 stardard cab 4x4
    MRBP exhaust 3"lift charcoal filter removed from intake me behind the wheel! lol
    leaking out the boot?

18. Oct 3, 2011 at 2:30 AM
    20toytaco03

20toytaco03 20toytaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    dylan
    cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4
    Where the boot meets the diff i just put a new cv axle on today and was fine for the day but startes leaking

19. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:54 AM
    20toytaco03

20toytaco03 20toytaco03

Member:
    First Name:
    dylan
    cleveland tennessee
    Vehicle:
    03 tacoma 4x4
    Ifmy phone will load them ill put them on

20. Oct 3, 2011 at 5:00 AM
    20toytaco03