Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

CV Boot Slide - 2nd Gen

Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
CV Boot Slide - 2nd Gen

Has anyone done the boot slide mod on a 2nd gen Tacoma with success? I see a lot of talk about it working on the 1st gens. I just got a 2011 Taco and have a 3" lift and the inner boot ribs are rubbing. I had an 2009 Taco with the same exact lift (measured the same too) with no rib rub at all.

Cant I just cut the clamp off, slide the boot down the shaft, glue and re-clamp? I have heard this method works for a 1st gen.

Other people prefer taking the whole boot off and spacing it out like here> http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cv-boots.html

Thanks
Pap
Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Easy fix for me

Try at your own risk but this has been working really well for me. I guess the worse that could happen is the boot slides back.

Here is what to do:
1. remove the clamp from the inner axle shaft. you can pry it off with pliers and a screw driver. Just be care not to damage the boot.

2. clean the shaft and slide the boot end down the shaft 3/4". Try to slide it once as the grease will get under the boot if you keep moving it back an forth. I also put some RTV sealant on the shaft before sliding it down. The RTV will dry and create a seal and help the boot from sliding back.

3. Reclamp with a cv boot clamp. I got the factory ones. They are narrower and don't have sharp edges like regular screw clamps.

Here it is after I slid it down. Look at that fin clearance with 3" lift!

You will also need a pair of CV boot clamp crimpers for the CV clamps

So far, after almost two weeks of driving, the boot hasn't slid back to the original position.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
The fins were rubbing real bad with a 3" lift. Passenger side was rubbing a lot worse than drivers. It must be the way the factory clamps the boots on these cv's. Like I said before, my 09 didn't have any fin rub with the same lift.

This was my boot before I slid it down. I had the clamp off at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
CV Boot Slide - 2nd Gen-imageuploadedbytapatalk1313281728.385211.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
I done it, but no RTV and they slid back.........

Next set I get to rebuild I'm going to fab a spacer to put inside the boot to stretch the boot out. This will be a more permanent fix.
I can see how they would slide back. Hopefully mine don't do the same but am prepared to pull the axles, pull the boot back and put a rubber spacer behind the the new clamped location. Just like the link above.

Let me know how your fix works out. That may be able to be done without pulling the axle.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
I bought Rtv and hose clamps today, I'm going to be doing this in about an hour and a half when sunrise hits.

Should I apply the rtv before I tighten down or after?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacountryboy-IXI View Post
I bought Rtv and hose clamps today, I'm going to be doing this in about an hour and a half when sunrise hits.

Should I apply the rtv before I tighten down or after?
Apply the RTV on the shaft before you slide the boot. So, you are sliding the boot over the RTV. Not a lot or it will be too slippery and make it hard to keep the boot in one place while trying to clamp. Also, clean the shaft before you apply the RTV.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
This seems like it may extend the life of the boots, but it will not alleviate the extra wear on the CV's themselves caused by the steeper angles. Good idea for the boot life either way.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by korslite View Post
This seems like it may extend the life of the boots, but it will not alleviate the extra wear on the CV's themselves caused by the steeper angles. Good idea for the boot life either way.
Yes boot life extension. Not meant for saving the joints. Keep the lift below 3" and CV's should last a long time.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #9
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pAP View Post
Yes boot life extension. Not meant for saving the joints. Keep the lift below 3" and CV's should last a long time.
Yep, got it. Think i'm only running about 1.5" lift. Just thought I'd chime in cuz it seems some people get the CV boot issue mixed up with the actuall mechanical wear on the CV's. Not tryin to knock the idea at all.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
lithous is on a distinguished road
Army: SAPPER!
Name: Jason
lithous's Tacoma Gallery
How is everything working out? Any movement in the Boots?

Getting ready to do this as well, if everything is holding up
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #11
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous View Post

They haven't moved at all. So, working out real well. No more fin rub!

Pap
Old 09-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithous View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pAP View Post
They haven't moved at all. So, working out real well. No more fin rub!

Pap
I've put exactly 1650 miles on the truck (mostly highway over 70) since I did the mod and they haven't moved yet.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a great idea. Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #14
lithous is on a distinguished road
Army: SAPPER!
Name: Jason
lithous's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies! I just finished doing it. just used some regular hose clamps for now. I will replace with the correct clamps later.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #15
swollen member
covefrog08 is on a distinguished road

covefrog08's Tacoma Gallery
do any of you guys have any diff drop kit installed to help reduce the cv angle?
Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Diff drops on second gens have no discernible effect on CV angles.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #17
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by covefrog08 View Post
do any of you guys have any diff drop kit installed to help reduce the cv angle?
No. they are worthless for the amount of "real world" drop you get out of it.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #18
20toytaco03
20toytaco03 is on a distinguished road
Name: dylan
20toytaco03's Tacoma Gallery
My cv axle slides a little but its leaking what do i do?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:29 AM   #19
Desert Taco
wbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud ofwbr775 has much to be proud of
Name: Weber
wbr775's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20toytaco03 View Post
My cv axle slides a little but its leaking what do i do?
leaking out the boot?
Old 10-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #20
20toytaco03
20toytaco03 is on a distinguished road
Name: dylan
20toytaco03's Tacoma Gallery
Where the boot meets the diff i just put a new cv axle on today and was fine for the day but startes leaking