1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3" lift kit + 1" spacer possible?!?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by extremachn1, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Aug 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 [OP] I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    So I have a question for the suspension gods. I am currently running Eibach springs up front, Toytec TSB AAL in back, and 5100's all around (front set to .85) for about 2+ inches of lift. I am quickly realizing that I need a little more lift. I am constantly rubbing when flexed (to the point I have worn through the little plastic buttons on the plastic fender flares and the rears are starting to pull off), rubbing when turned, hitting my cab mount, etc.
    So idealy I would like 4-ish inches of lift. Is it possible to run like a pro-comp, or OME, or some other 3" lift and also a 1" spacer for a total of 4"? No one makes a 4" lift and 6" requires way to much money, cutting, and dosent really do it for me.

I know spacer lifts are the devil and in a perfect world i would avoid them like the plauge. I am just curious if it is possible to run both. I would think that if you can run both your ride shouldnt really be affected to much since you have good springs and shocks.

Just a curiosity question, please chime in with opinions and experiances!!!

2. Aug 1, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    No you can't run anything on the front that gives you over 4" without a drop bracket, spindles, or SAS. It will ruin your ball joints and/or lead to a terrible ride with no down travel left in the shock.

What's the backspacing of your wheels and the size of your tires? Did you trim your fender well plastic and chop your cab mounts?

3. Aug 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    My wheels are the TRD (Ivan man Stewert) wheels and I believe they are like 4.25-4.5" backspacing. I am running 285/75/16 BFG AT's.

I have not done the cap mount chop although its on the list of things to do, just have to find someone to do it. I have trimmed my fenders (front) although the inner fender has begun curling in towards to tire making it rub a lot (especially when I back up). I need to make a few brackets to hold that out of the way.

I plan on going with UCA's when I go with the 3" lift, wouldnt that help prevent damage to the ball joints? If they work with a 6" lift why wouldnt it work with a 4" lift? If you get shocks of the right length then there would be no problem with running out of shock travel.

I know on stock suspension a spacer lift rides like shit, but on higher end lifted suspension would the ride quality really go down that much, with adustable coil overs and shocks wouldnt this solve the problem?

So again, with UCA's, the right shocks, and some properly placed diff and driveline spacers, why isnt 3" lift + a 1" spacer doable?

4. Aug 1, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    KPT already explaind it to you. If you doubt what he is telling you, then go do it and find out for yourself. Be sure to report back on how it goes :D

5. Aug 1, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    CopDoctor

CopDoctor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 335i
    BMS Intake, JB4 chip, Plastidip everywhere
    are you serious? how do you think a 6" lift works? just throw in a huge ass shock and call it good?

6. Aug 1, 2011 at 3:28 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I just noticed you have a 4x4. You can kiss your cv's goodbye if you go over 3" without a drop bracket.

7. Aug 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Guys, I am not doubting I believe what you guys are telling me, I am jsut trying to get a little more explination than NO IT DOSENT WORK.

I questioned what he said about some stuff because I was curious why it worked for a 6" and not for what I was proposing. I have a general understanding what it takes for the 6" lift so no need to be a condesending twat with your awnsers!

If you notice I didnt bash him for his awnser so I would appreciate the same respect, I was jsut expanding on what he said with more questions, its called the pursuit of knowledge. Not everyone knows all and there is nothing wrong with trying to stimulate some good dialouge about builds and things you can and cant do.

I blow shit up for a living, not build trucks. I am still fairly new to the building of an offroad vehicle. If you want to know about motorcycles, I can tell you jsut about anything you want to know. Trucks, still learning so cut a guy some slack people.

8. Aug 1, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Tacomanator

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
  9. Aug 1, 2011 at 4:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Yes , you can do it

No , it won't work

10. Aug 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Taco, that has some of the info I was looking for. I appreciate it.

11. Aug 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    In a nutshell, the issue with stacking lifts on an IFS is that you have a maximum down travel that the suspension will allow before you max out the travel on the UCA by roatating the LCA downward. The lifts I listed get around that in the following ways:
    -Spindles keep the stock geometry but move the wheel hubs down.
    - drop brackets lower your front crossmember, and therefore the mounting point for your control arms, down.
    - sas removes the control arms and spindles altogether.

12. Aug 1, 2011 at 8:18 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Sweet KPT. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it out a bit more for me.

13. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:11 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Desert Rat did my cab mounts for $150. Also, UCA's will allow you to increase your caster so you're not rubbing on the rear fender well up front. I also did the pinch weld mod since I was still hitting that area when fully stuffed. Utility knife is your best friend......I cut everything it rubbed until it didn't run anymore, lol!

I can post some pics if you want?

14. Aug 1, 2011 at 9:35 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    I would appreciate it if you would. I dont know of the pinch weld mod, I am going to do a search. I will have to talk with Desert Rat about the cab mount chop.

15. Aug 2, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Pinch weld was mainly for 1st gens but my tires woudn't stop rubbing it so I beat it up. It's hard as hell too......BFH time!
    http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=9

I still think extra caster would have fixed it but too much and I was rubbing the front unless I had an aftermarket bumper.

16. Aug 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    ok chas a 6 inch lift is a drop bracket, what that does is it drops your diff down lower so you can still have 4wd, but it takes away from your clearance.

rcd makes a 4 inch lift, but its also a drop bracket lift so it will take away from your clearance.

so yes you could out a spacer ontop of a 3 inch lift, but when you go over 3 inches you will start to tear your CV boots because the fins on them rub, next time i see you and i have my truck ill show you what i mean by fins rubbing, mine do on my truck because i have like 3.25in of lift and no diff drop

i hope this cleared it up a bit

Products Discussed in

To Top