Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Truck shake after lift

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Carito is on a distinguished road
Carito's Tacoma Gallery
Truck shake after lift

Ok, whats up. 03 Prerunner TRD. Installed the OME 881's with 5/8" spacer, 2" AALs in the rear and 5100's all the way around. A tiny bit stiffer than before but doesn't bounce anymore and the ass end doesnt kick.

BUT now it shakes. I get to around 20mph and it starts. Best way i can explain it is it feels like im driving a standard and Im in second gear taking off. Just has that rumble feeling. As I speed up it goes away and then returns a little around 60. Already had the tires balanced and an alignment done.

I read somewhere that this can happen and I may need to install some kind of 1-5 degree shims somewhere??? Drive axle is not loose etc but nothing else changed other than the lift. So what's causing this, and what are these shims things?

Thanks
Carito
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
You are feeling drive shaft vibrations.
The angles of the drive shaft joints aren't equal. Shimming the rear axle a few degrees may help (or a carrier bearing drop, etc.), but unless you measure all the angles first you will just be guessing and doing trial and error.

The shims are small metal wedges that rotate the rear axle to lessen the degree where the shaft meets the rear diff.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Carito's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Orwitzs. Yeah I believe that was what I read. Is this something pretty easy to do- either shimming the axle or a carrier bearing drop? Never done either.

What's the best way to measure the angles? All I know is i have a two piece drive axle.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Carito's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, which of these two methods, the CB drop or the shims would you try first? Is either dependant on the angle? What tool do I need to go and buy to measure the angles?

thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Carito's Tacoma Gallery
thanks psu. I just read over teh 4 pages. somewhat lost. I will have to order me one of them angle readers unless I can find one locally and then go from there. its a start though.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Carito's Tacoma Gallery
are the digital angle finders better. all I can find locally are the magnetic angle dial readers. looks like a small scale. never used either just thinking I could get that now and not have to wait to order one