Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Topping out or UCAs...?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #1
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Topping out or UCAs...?

So as most of you guys know, I have the Foxs now from DSM.

Really haven't had a chance to take em off road because I don't have my rear leafs in yet, so I don't want to bottom out the back shocks.... I did however, decide to push a little speed over some speed bumps today just to get a feel for it. They were the long speed bumps, vice the sharp ones. Anyways, I wasn't really going fast or anything, just kinda wanted to put a little flex into the front. They compressed fine, truck moved upward, coilovers rebounded and made a not so friendly noise.

When I got to my destination, I inspected the coilvers, no evidence of the UCA's hitting the shocks, and I have the extended travel shocks, so my best guess is I hit the limits on the UCAs. They are the DSM UCA's, so they do have the little conical stopper on the top.

My coilovers are set at 2.5", everything seems torqued down, I see no evidence of any contact points. Of all stupid knowledge that I attained througout my life, I know jack about suspension. Should this really be happening? I probably only took the speed bump at 15mph or so. Not too excited about this right now.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it was hitting the stock bump stops. I just ordered some aftermarket bump stops from wheelers. They seem to absorb the hits a lot better than stock; if that is even the problem.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...r-bumps-7.html

post 127.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
Maybe it was hitting the stock bump stops. I just ordered some aftermarket bump stops from wheelers. They seem to absorb the hits a lot better than stock; if that is even the problem.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...r-bumps-7.html

post 127.

Theres bump stops for down travel?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Probably bottomed out the UCA's Uniball Joint.............

Just deal with it honestly.........or buy a different UCA if this is the case.

I would PM DSM instead of making a thread.

Just trying to understand it. And if it can damage.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Theres bump stops for down travel?
oh my bad. i kinda missed that part when i skimmed over your post. Im just stoked about the shit i ordered

Maybe put a camera in your wheel well and see what is going on.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #6

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Just trying to understand it. And if it can damage.
nothing wrong with making a thread about this. not like you were bashing them; just trying to see if anyone had input. at least you werent asking about plasti-dipping anything.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
oh my bad. i kinda missed that part when i skimmed over your post. Im just stoked about the shit i ordered

Maybe put a camera in your wheel well and see what is going on.

Thats actually a pretty damn good idea. I got my gopro, not sure where to mount though.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Bah Humshit!

brian's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Doubt you will damage a Chromoly uniball................

PM DSM and they will help you trouble shoot the issue.......they are pros

Agreed. It happened at about a quarter after 6 and they were already closed, so I thought I'd give it a shot here

Thanks for the quick replies. Lemme know if anyone else has other ideas.