Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Suggestions for UCA?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Veteran
Name: Chris
hitmans.army's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Suggestions for UCA?

I am going to be installing a 2.5-3" suspension lift on my 07 Pre-Runner DCSB. I already have a AAL and spacer kit, but decided not to use the spacers after more and more review. I plan to get a pair of 5100s for the front and am looking at new UCAs also. I mean, its just money right? But worth the extra to have it right the first time.....
Now to my question. With the above mentioned setup, what would you suggest for a new UCA set. I have looked at T.C., L.R., and a couple others. I have also looked at the 1" ball, and the stock type balljoint. Price difference I have noticed is $400-$700.
This is not something I need RIGHT NOW, but would want waiting for me when I get back to the States. So, I ask for your opinion, and if you already have one installed, pictures if possible.... Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
Is there a long john silvers on the island?
TurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurfTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurfTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have 5100's set at .85 with Eibach coils and got a full 3" of lift. I bought LR uca's but never installed them because my alignment is perfect. No highway wandering or uneven tire wear. No issues at all.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
cotruckin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cotruckin
I just ordered a set of the Built Right UCA's yesterday that are the Uni-ball style. I can't wait to get them, but it is another brand to check out and the cheapest Uni-ball style I have seen so far.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm happy with my LR UCA's and wanted to get the sealed ball joint due to our weather conditions
Old 08-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #5
Just a guy.
hitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shedhitmans.army is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Oz. As far as the sealed style, you haven't experienced any binding from the ball joint have you? I talked to a guy who said that he was getting some binding from another brand that used stock "style" ball joints..... Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
cotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of lightcotruckin is a glorious beacon of light
cotruckin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cotruckin
Must have been the Camburg ones, I think LR and Camburg are the only ones that have the stock style ball joints.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmans.army View Post
Oz. As far as the sealed style, you haven't experienced any binding from the ball joint have you?
I have not , but I am no extreme offroader either , I guess it all depends on how the truck is used as well .

I got UCA's to make sure I could get a correct alignment after my lift install .
Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Just a guy.
Ok. I did some more checking. How does this sound. From Wheelers. LR UCA, 5100s, and OME 885s. I'll go ahead and get the 3* shims and carrier bearing drop kit just incase. Maybe the Beefed Blocks drop kit, seems better than just blocks/shims.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. What are you doing for the rear? You will love the Light Racing UCAs. They get your alignment perfect, keep the crap out in winter, and are plenty strong. When you compare them to the stock UCAs it'll blow your mind how much more is there. The stock ones seem like toys in comparison.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #10
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Camburg 1.25" uniball uppers!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
The LR ball joint has much more range of motion than the stock units. I believe Nuebs tested them against other aftermarket ones and found they offer roughly the same range of motion. There is a thread on here somewhere that states that...
Old 08-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Just a guy.
So far for the rear I have the 2" AAL, and a new pair of shocks, I will probably end up getting Bilsteins for the back also to match everything up. It will be a few months, but when I get the swap started, I will be sure to put up some pics. The truck will mainly be a street queen, with some offroading after I get a LSD for the back. But it will be towing a trailer with my '40 so I will probably do more work on the back, like air bags for when I have it hooked up.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Can't complain with my DSM's so far, but I haven't gotten a chance to offroad them yet. No clearance issues on the coilovers, they're close, but the uniball bottoms out first.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #14
Just a guy.
I kept looking at the uni-ball style, but the rust/pitting issue is what got me. I live along I5 between two passes, always gets sprayed in the winter and I may be moving to Colo next year so decided to get the stock style balljoint, plus it was a little cheaper so I will be able to get a couple more parts.... Brian, did you paint your grill surround yourself or did you order it? I have the full chrome grill (surround and center bars) but want to get rid of it.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #15
"Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson
elwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shedelwood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Neal
elwood's Tacoma Gallery
I have just purchased a set of camburg's from wheelers and will be installing them this weekend. I chose them because of the ball joint style they accept. The one that you could install the toyota ball joint into. I am gonna buy some moog ball joints (cause greaseable ) and put them into the arms. I too live in the salt for the winter ( ontario ) and need the sealed type. I did not choose the LR cause they will only accept there own ball joint and not a "factory" one. In the years to come when the joint needs replacing I want to be able to buy it locally and not be dependent on "one" manufacturer. Just my $.02