Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 2 Inch 05+tacoma Heavy Kit Questions

Old 08-04-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
copenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant future
copenhagen's Tacoma Gallery
OME 2 Inch 05+tacoma Heavy Kit Questions

Hey ya'll, I'm looking at getting one of these from ARB. My goal is to have an ARB bumper and a WARN 8000lb winch. I have a 2011 TRD Offroad Access Cab 6 speed manual, and she's almost paid for, so now is the time for me to look. Here are my questions:

1.) If I purchase the OME Heavy Suspension lift kit and do an install, how much will it affect my ride if I wait to buy the bumper and winch at a later time (I don't believe in spending money I don't have)? Am I going to bounce all over the place?

2.) If I install the OME Heavy Suspension lift kit, how much will it actually lift my 2011 TACO? It already has those factory Bilsteins that come with the TRD Offroad package, so I want to know how many inches I can expect to get out of the kit, if any. It purports a 2" lift.

3.) Is there anything I am missing?

Thank ya'll, and hope to hear back!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
886's will be a stiff ride with no additional weight up front .

You can expect 3" of lift from them on your AC

You can't run them with the factory shocks , you need to get OME 90000 Nitrochargers

Get UCA's
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
copenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant future
Here is what the kit includes:

http://store.arbusa.com/2-Inch-05tac...it-P20932.aspx

• OME886 x 2
  • N140S x 2
  • CS047R x 2
  • N182 x 2
  • OMEU53A x 4
  • FK29 x 1
Stated differently (cheapest price I've found):

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/tac...y-p-10597.html

Complete kit include:

(2) Heavy Load (110-220lbs) Spring (OME886)
(2) Shocks (N140S) (2) Medium Load (0lbs to GVW) Spring (CS047R)
(2) Shocks (N182)
(4) U Bolts (OMEU53A)
(1) Fitting Kit (FK29)

I was told by a gentleman from a 4x4 store that I would not need aftermarket upper control arms for this kit. If you think that it needs them, please explain why, or why not. I am looking to hear both sides of this.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
Here is what the kit includes:

http://store.arbusa.com/2-Inch-05tac...it-P20932.aspx

• OME886 x 2
  • N140S x 2
  • CS047R x 2
  • N182 x 2
  • OMEU53A x 4
  • FK29 x 1
I was told by a gentleman from a 4x4 store that I would not need aftermarket upper control arms for this kit. If you think that it needs them, please explain why, or why not. I am looking to hear both sides of this.
Without your ARB bumper and winch you'll definitely need them. The 886 coils are tall and stiff. They're made for a truck having 200+ lbs hanging over the front end. After you get the ARB and winch you might end up in the 2" range where you wouldn't need them. If you end up around 2.5" though, you still may need them so it'd be prudent to plan for the extra expense.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You are gonna get 3" of lift before you add the bumper and it may stay at 2 1/2" after .

UCA's will allow for a correct alignment .
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #6

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OP , also read this thread and get the centre pin collars for your Dakars in case you need to use axle shims to correct a driveline vibration later

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho....php?p=2839336
Old 08-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You are gonna get 3" of lift before you add the bumper and it may stay at 2 1/2" after .

UCA's will allow for a correct alignment .

^^ correct. ARB advertises it as a 2" lift, but it's the same OME lift that everyone sells and gets you closer to 3"
Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
horwitzs:

I'm assuming that you did not put the heavy OME lift on your TX Pro? Did you change out your UCA's? On an un-related note, was the supercharger worth it, and how did it impact your mileage?

OZ-T:

I was taking a gander at that thread and it looked like some guys needed them and some did not.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post

OZ-T:

I was taking a gander at that thread and it looked like some guys needed them and some did not.
The point is that you won't know if you get vibes from the lift until after it is installed , and therefore you won't know if you need shims until after your lift is installed .

By adding the $8 worth of collars ahead of time you cover yourself in case you need to use shims . Having the collars in there does not negatively effect anything , but if you need shims later , you can easily slide them in and still be confident you have a good connection at the axle .
Old 08-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
I understand and I appreciate that. I was just outside looking at the stock UCA's and it makes me want to replace them just because they are made out of bent sheet metal. I wrote ARB an email asking them about using their heavy lift without a bumper and rather or not I needed new UCA's, so I'll post their response when they write me back.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
But, to sum things up, it would be the general recommendation that I need to purchase the following items in order to properly execute the OME 2" Heavy Lift:

(Qty 1 @ $984.95)

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/p...cs-1662-0.html
(Qty 1 @ $5.99)

http://www.klmstore.com/total-chaos-...trol-arms.aspx
(Qty 1 @ $745.00)

That adds up to about $1735.94, and that is not including shipping or alignment fee etc. I guess the claim from ARB that the OME suspension kit takes the guess work out of ordering and gives you a single part number is not necessarily correct eh?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #12

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good .

You also need front bushings for the Dakar pack .
Old 08-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
A Revised list of parts to make an OME HEAVY LIFT WORK RIGHT:

(Qty 1 @ $984.95)

http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/p...cs-1662-0.html
(Qty 1 @ $5.99)

http://www.klmstore.com/total-chaos-...trol-arms.aspx
(Qty 1 @ $745.00)

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/pr...dproduct=-8340
(Qty 1 @ $24.00)

Total cost less shipping: $1759.94

That ends up costing about 600 dollars an inch give or take...of course you get the added benefit of being able to healthily support a winch/bumper, and more easily traverse rough terrain.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Check out Wheeler's Offroad , I think they offer a poly bushing for the Daks
Old 08-04-2011, 01:56 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Also , I noticed that the OME kit shows the older style front shocks FWIW
Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
Thanks for the pointers. I would not have known about those shocks being the older ones had you not told me.

Here is the letter and response I got from ARB:

Me:

"Finances being an issue, I am unable to purchase all items at the same
time. If I install your heavy suspension kit on my truck prior to
installing the bumper, will I require an aftermarket set of upper
control arms? If so, what brand do ya'll recommend? Thank you."

ARB:

"Installing a heavy load set of coils up front with no weight will cause the vehicle to become over lifted, creating issues with alignment, cv angles, ride quality and longevity of the struts. You can get away with it if you're simply street driving for a few weeks before the bumper is installed, but if you're looking at months down the road I would recommend the bumper first and then suspension."

Of interest, they completely missed giving me an answer about the UCA.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Here's an email I just got from ARB:

Quote:
I can't help you with aftermarket control arms as that is outside of the scope of what we do with suspension. The kits are available with either Sport or standard Nitrocharger shocks.
I guess if you take your truck down to them to get fitted, they are not concerned with UCA's...? I find that odd as it seems from reading here that they are quite necessary.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #18
91Godzilla is on a distinguished road
91Godzilla's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, sorry to revive an old thread, but this is the only "comprehensive" list of items to do this lift I can find.

I'm looking to do the same lift on my truck with an ARB bumper w/o a winch. Did this end up being everything you needed? If I have the bumper will the added weight reduce the lift enough to not need the UCA's? Any idea where I can get the poly bushings for the Dakars? I couldn't find the wheeler's offroad ones. Thanks for all the info here.