Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What's the best kit for a Winch/Bumper combo?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
copenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant future
copenhagen's Tacoma Gallery
What's the best kit for a Winch/Bumper combo?

I started this thread here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...questions.html

I was under the impression that the OME heavy suspension lift kit would provide what I needed to ready my truck for an ARB bumper and WARN winch? Evidently it does not.

In light of that, I have the following questions:

Is there a QUALITY kit in existence which will provide EVERYTHING that I need to PROPERLY ready my 2011 AC Tacoma for an ARB Bumper and WARN 8000lb winch? I did notice that Total Chaos has a kit that comes with UCA's, but it includes Fox shocks. I do not know if they will be heavy enough for the bumper and winch. Is it really necessary to order separately every individual part needed to properly modify one's suspension to accommodate the bumper and winch? Surely there must be a quality kit out there that I am missing (UCA's and the necessary hardware to prevent vibrations, etc). A nice set of instructions would be handy too.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
How did you conclude that the 886 lift is no good for the ARB bumper and winch ? They were designed for that bumper .
Old 08-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #3
copenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant futurecopenhagen has a brilliant future
The kit is marketed as including everything that you need. It does not include spacers or UCAs which both appear to be necessary to utilize it properly. Therefore it is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a kit that comes with all that I need and instructions. If this does not exist then I will go with what we talked about in the other thread.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
The kit is marketed as including everything that you need. It does not include spacers or UCAs which both appear to be necessary to utilize it properly. Therefore it is not what I am looking for. I am looking for a kit that comes with all that I need and instructions. If this does not exist then I will go with what we talked about in the other thread.
The kit does include the OME CB drop . It is the FK29 Fitting kit .

I think the only place that supplies the bushings for the Dakars with them is Wheelers .

As for the UCA's , nobody includes them , with this kit , or any other as far as I know ( with the exception of the TC kit you mentioned above )

As for the little stuff like axle shims and centre pin collars , I think you will find most places carry that type of stuff but again they are not included as a comprehensive kit

IMO , you are going about this wrong if you are more concerned that everything comes in one easy package rather than getting the components best suited for your planned needs
Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
Well, in my opinion, there is not much sense in packaging items as a kit if you only provide a portion of the parts needed to complete the stated objective of the kit. It makes me wonder about the quality of the items if the marketing behind them is misleading.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #6
That Guy
CaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaptainFun is one of the sharper tools in the shed
CaptainFun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, in my opinion, there is not much sense in packaging items as a kit if you only provide a portion of the parts needed to complete the stated objective of the kit. It makes me wonder about the quality of the items if the marketing behind them is misleading.
The "kit" provides you with all equipment you need to lift your truck. Shims, UCA, bushings, diff drops are all "extras" in the sense they are good to have to avoid vibrations and odd driving characteristics resulting from the lift. They are not part of a lift kit as they are not doing any of the lifting. UCA 's are more important since they allow your vehicle to have a better chance if getting back into factory specifications, making your vehicle safer to drive and hopefully keeping things like tires from wearing prematurely.

Edit- Also, the OME kit also has several "rear" lift options and depending on what option is selected ie blocks, single AAL or new leaf pack, different installation and hardware is required. Another reason why a full 100% inclusive kit is not available with one click of the mouse.

Find the best price on the OME kit call up the company and ask them to add whatever else they recommend. If you don't develop vibrations or driveline shudders, simply return some of the extras.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
Is there any good kit available that will simply beef up the front suspension in order to support a winch and bumper (I don't see the point in buying new rear suspension for my purposes)? I am not really interested in a lift kit if I don't have to get one to properly support my winch/bumper as I have sufficient height for all realistic off-roading with the TRD Offroad package already. Can the factory Bilsteins reasonably handle the added weight? A leveling/shim kit was suggested to me, but I am worried about how much travel I would lose and rather the front shocks would be more prone to bottom out. Anybody with experience in compensating for your bumper/winch: I would appreciate your response/suggestions.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed2008taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: chris
2008taco's Tacoma Gallery
You can do the kitty litter test. Take a large bag of kitty litter (50-80 lbs) and put it on your front bumper. This will simulate the weight of the arb. Nobody on this site is a fan of shim/spacer lifts. No one makes a one click kit because very few people want one. Some people prefer one brand of coil overs, and another brand of uca's. I'd buy the the lift kit, install it and see if you have any vibrations. If you do then buy some uca's.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The ARB weighs 165 lbs not including the winch and cable

UCA's are to correct alignment issues , not cure vibes
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Well, that is rather depressing for me that no-one makes a kit to simply properly ready a truck for a winch and bumper. It seems as if they would because this is a very utilitarian item which many men will find a need for who do not find a need to become head over heels involved with their truck as their hobby. I wish I could afford/had the time to have multiple hobbies, but I cannot, and I was very much hoping that there would be a simple solution for properly installing a winch and bumper to a Toyota Tacoma.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Well, that is rather depressing for me that no-one makes a kit to simply properly ready a truck for a winch and bumper. It seems as if they would because this is a very utilitarian item which many men will find a need for who do not find a need to become head over heels involved with their truck as their hobby. I wish I could afford/had the time to have multiple hobbies, but I cannot, and I was very much hoping that there would be a simple solution for properly installing a winch and bumper to a Toyota Tacoma.
You don't have to be head over heels into your truck. You can order all the parts you need from one place-You have to spend a few minutes talking to a sales rep or thinking for yourself about what parts you want.

Making a "complete" package like that would pair parts from multiple sources into limited setups that the manufacturers probably won't allow. There is enuf mis-information going around about what parts work with what...They don't need people saying "You can only get these UCAs with those springs"

Taking a truck offroad- I'd want the parts I was convinced were the best, not the parts that had the easiest installation or the best marketing.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Surely there is a pair of coil-overs and shocks out there that can replace the factory front end ones and maintain a level ride within factory specifications when loaded with a winch/bumper. I have no need for a 2-3" lift, or to spend 2 grand re-doing the entire suspension on a brand new truck. Are there any specific recommendations for such a thing?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You already had it figured out and got thrown by the fact that people suggested a few parts not included in your original kit .

The OME 886 springs are designed specifically for the ARB bumper , having said that , they will lift the front about 2 1/2 - 3 " , which gets into the territory where you need to get aftermarket UCA's in order to get a correct alignment .

The OME Dakar rear leaf springs in your original kit will lift the rear 2 3/4" .

You will end up with the factory rake but approx 3" higher .

Lifting the truck changes the geometry of the suspension and may introduce vibrations , that's why some people suggested the smaller items like centre pin collars , axle shims and the CB drop . These items can correct any vibrations you add by lifting the truck .

Overall the OME kit is a good kit and is suited for what you want to do .

I have the same kit but with the 885 springs as I am not running a heavy bumper and winch
Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #14
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I see what your going for OP. You want no lift but want the added stiffness in the front to carry an ARB bumper and winch. Am I correct in this assumption?

You need a spring with a higher spring weight than stock. I would assume that either the Eibach springs or even the 885s might be your best option. Maybe someone will chime in but you may have to rephrase your thread topic to get the correct answer.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The Eibach will still lift the front 1.6" and the 885's will get 2 1/2" less whatever they settle from the bumper weight
Old 08-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
TXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedTXBulldawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TXBulldawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The Eibach will still lift the front 1.6"
Not with a bumper & winch installed. Might be worth looking at for the OP if he doesn't want to mess with anything else.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #17

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBulldawg View Post
Not with a bumper & winch installed. Might be worth looking at for the OP if he doesn't want to mess with anything else.
True

I meant to say both would settle under the bumpers weight

Poorly worded by me
Old 08-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #18
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
Not to derail the tread.

I have 95.5 taco im going for the arb bumper and xp 9500 winch. I was looking at replacing the suspension.

I have been looking at the NWOR kits that are adjustable in the front and rear springs. Nice one or 2 inch lift at most is all i want. Any one have feedback on this set up?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
So, ya'll think it may be possible just to replace the coil-overs, maintaining the factory lift?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
#texasforever
hudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shedhudhawk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hudson
hudhawk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So, ya'll think it may be possible just to replace the coil-overs, maintaining the factory lift?
Yes, I think that if you replace the front struts with some adjustable coilovers you can just adjust the preload on the coilovers to compensate for the added weight while maintaining factory height.