Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Help me Choose

Old 08-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
RyanPont is on a distinguished road
RyanPont's Tacoma Gallery
Help me Choose

Hello,

Ive been searching and reading and trying to come up with a plan for a budget minded Expodition rig. Ive been on Expedition Portal and they have given me some excellent info.

The first round of my build I was thinking of addressing the suspension and tires. Ive set my budget at $1000 to start, not opposed to going over a few hundred.

My platform is an 09 Access cab, base model. 4cyl 5 speed. No TSB on the rear springs, they are very weak when I carry loads camping. Im looking for a kit that will give me the best bang for my buck. I dont want huge amounts of lifts. 1 to 2 inches. Ive found three kits that are in my price range of what Id like to spend.
Kit 1.
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72
Kit 2.
Kit 3.
Bills 5100s, stock coils, and wheelers add a leaf.

What do you suggest as far as Ride, Longevity, down travel/ flexibility, product.

Thanks.
Ryan
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPont View Post
Hello,

Ive been searching and reading and trying to come up with a plan for a budget minded Expodition rig. Ive been on Expedition Portal and they have given me some excellent info.

The first round of my build I was thinking of addressing the suspension and tires. Ive set my budget at $1000 to start, not opposed to going over a few hundred.

My platform is an 09 Access cab, base model. 4cyl 5 speed. No TSB on the rear springs, they are very weak when I carry loads camping. Im looking for a kit that will give me the best bang for my buck. I dont want huge amounts of lifts. 1 to 2 inches. Ive found three kits that are in my price range of what Id like to spend.
Kit 1.
Kit 2.
Kit 3.
Bills 5100s, stock coils, and wheelers add a leaf.

What do you suggest as far as Ride, Longevity, down travel/ flexibility, product.

Thanks.
Ryan
Those are 3 decent options to start out with. If you're looking to upgrade your suspension again in a year or so and go with something higher end, I'd save the money and go with Kit 3. If you plan on keeping the suspension kit for a while, kit 1 or 2 would be good. I've got something very similar to kit 1 and am very happy with it. I spend a lot of my time on pavement though so the stiffer Eibach coil was a good match for me. If I spent a lot of time off road or on dirt roads, I may have gone with kit 2. The OME kit is rated very well and you really can't go wrong with it.

Downtravel is limited by the shock and would be similar in all kits.

The Eibach coils are shorter and stiff 620 lb/in. The OME coils I believe are around 580 lb/in and the heigh depends on which coil you purchase. 884's and 885's have the same spring rate, the 885's are 10mm taller.

Do you plan to armor the truck or are you carrying extra weight that's permanently attached to the truck (plate bumper, winch, sliders, skids, etc). You may want to figure that into the equation now and plan for it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Not looking to add much armor. Maybe a rear bumper and a set of sliders
Old 08-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Is 620lb eibach coil to stiff to run without any add on weight?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, the eibach is perfect. Many say it improves the ride.

I would (I am) go with the eibachs at the front if you dont plan on putting any significant weight up there. You can get 2.6" of lift in you set your billies to .85", and 1.5" or 2" in the back depending on what AAL you get
Old 08-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nope, I'm running them without much added weight. They're short enough where it's not an issue but they do ride stiffer. Without any weight and the 5100's set at 0 they provide just under 2" of lift (they advertise 1.6" but actually give a tiny bit more). You're an access cab so you might push a little closer to 2" than what I got with my double cab.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
2.7bluetaco is on a distinguished road
Name: jacob
2.7bluetaco's Tacoma Gallery
im no genius here but id go with the bilstien set up with ebaich coils. ur still gona get a full three inchs of lift with good ride quality. the ome lift is good to but for the money isnt worth it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #8
Banned
raswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shedraswank is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rick
raswank's Tacoma Gallery
Get these, the new Toytec 5100/Eibach combo for a full 3 inch lift. And I have the TSB in the rear with a 1.5 AAL from Toytec. Rides amazing
Attached Thumbnails
Help me Choose-017.jpg   Help me Choose-016.jpg   Help me Choose-015.jpg  
Old 08-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #9

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7bluetaco View Post
im no genius here but id go with the bilstien set up with ebaich coils. ur still gona get a full three inchs of lift with good ride quality. the ome lift is good to but for the money isnt worth it.
Not necessarily, OME makes some good stuff for the money. OME kits are taller and lower spring rates so they'll give a little easier. The Eibachs are a fairly stiff coil. I chose them because they're short and are a great coil for pavement. If you off road a lot you might want something that has a little give to it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7bluetaco View Post
100% incorrect

except for the " I'm no genius " part

Old 08-05-2011, 08:46 AM   #11

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
100% incorrect

except for the " I'm no genius " part

Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Kind of a thread revive, Ive decided im going to level it out with 5100s, as well as add them in the rear. Id like to make the leafs stiffer for better weight capacity, but I dont want to raise it with an add a leaf. Would bags be the best choice?
Old 10-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #13
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
This is not so much for the Guys lifting their trucks but...

I was speaking to a guy who works for a NASCAR team (and asked him to give a shoutout on National TV to TACOMAWORLD if he ever gets the chance!) and asked him what I should go with (Firestone air bags, leafs to stiffen it up, etc.) He looked me in the eye and without hesitation said "Put AIR SHOCKS on it.

He explained the bags are expensive and are exposed to the elements and get damaged. He says air shocks can be filled with an on-board electric pump to carry load and/or tune ride quality issues.

Is the solution to this problem really that simple?

I'm thinking he may be correct.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Sounds expensive, but makes sense.