Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Still Need help w/ vibration

Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Still Need help w/ vibration

Okay so a couple months ago I installed 5100's all around and set the front to 2.5", and the 1.5" ToyTec AAL(I Also have TSB), and a little after I noticed a vibration/shudder when accelerating from about 4-9mph..it goes away when in 4Hi, and if i accelerate really slowly, and let it catch the next gear at like 5mph, it doesn't do it...also, from a stop if you step on it real quick and it does it pretty bad and seems to lag alot or like i'm losing alot of power.

So my truck went into the dealer yesterday for the 10k service, and I told them about it. They had a tech ride along with me, and it was kinda doin it, then he wanted to drive, and he started getting it to vibe/shudder a lot and he was feeling it. He said they would check the t-case and the diff/lsd fluids and all that, and then they'd look at the driveline angles cuz it's lifted. So they worked on it from 9am to 2:30, and couldn't fix it. They said they installed shims and un-installed then re-installed them and nothing could get it to stop. The lift was installed by les Schwab and the dealer told me to have them look. I also just got my tires rotated/balanced(fronts) by schwab, and i feel like the vibe died down a little? idk maybe not

Anyways, so now what do I do? Do you think the dealer really did put in axle shims? Should I try a CB drop? I'm just kinda stumped now, and I took some pictures, maybe you guys can tell me if you see anything installed wrong? or if my driveline angles are bad, or ANYTHING? cuz you guys know what to look for more than me.

I'm out of town for the weekend, but next I'll have schwab check it out too, unless you guys know exactly what it could be..hope some of these pictures can help you guys, thanks in advance!

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

---
Old 08-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
nyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud ofnyfishhunter has much to be proud of

Name: Sean
nyfishhunter's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Lifted mine this week with the same rear setup and 5100s at .85 with Eibachs and have the same shudder. I ordered shims and the CB drop but didn't install either yet. I also have not yet had the truck aligned as I am installing new tires this week and will do it then. Time to tinker and for more research on TW. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfishhunter View Post
Sub'd. Lifted mine this week with the same rear setup and 5100s at .85 with Eibachs and have the same shudder. I ordered shims and the CB drop but didn't install either yet. I also have not yet had the truck aligned as I am installing new tires this week and will do it then. Time to tinker and for more research on TW. Good luck.
Okay, keep me posted on if anything works please!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
What are the spacers you have on your CB now? Looks like about an inch conical spacer lowering it....sorry if I missed something, I am not sure what comes with the lift kit.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Trucker

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
What are the spacers you have on your CB now? Looks like about an inch conical spacer lowering it....sorry if I missed something, I am not sure what comes with the lift kit.
I haven't modified anything to the driveline, just shocks and an Add-a-leaf. I haven't done axle shims or a CB Drop, but I want to know if I should or if anything could cure this vibe
Old 08-07-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
matts11 will become famous soon enoughmatts11 will become famous soon enough
matts11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
I haven't modified anything to the driveline, just shocks and an Add-a-leaf. I haven't done axle shims or a CB Drop, but I want to know if I should or if anything could cure this vibe
Looking at your pictures I see silver spacers lowering your CB. Did you buy the truck used? I have a completely stock truck and dont have those. I would remove them. The
CB should tuck into the notch in the cross member. I dont think you should need a drop for your mild lift...those spacers could be messing things up.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
Trucker

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts11 View Post
Looking at your pictures I see silver spacers lowering your CB. Did you buy the truck used? I have a completely stock truck and dont have those. I would remove them. The
CB should tuck into the notch in the cross member. I dont think you should need a drop for your mild lift...those spacers could be messing things up.
Nope I bought the truck new and to my knowledge no CB drop has been installed. What are you saying is the 'spacer' that is on there?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #8
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
You def have some good sized spacers on each side of your cb bracket that holds it to the a frame. Those are large enough that I bet if you took the spacers out, those bolts would not fit. You sure a cb drop didn't come with the lift, or les schwab installed a cb drop without you knowing? Cuz that isn't stock. I had vibes on my first Gen at speed and tried a cb spacer bracket and it gave me a takeoff shudder so I obviously removed it.

You would be one of the first that installed a lift and cured vibes by removing a cb drop haha, if that is the case
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 503TRD View Post
^^Okay I'll have Schwab look at that when I take it in. Is it the like cylinder looking thing that you guys say is a spacer? I bought the truck new and am 99% sure I didn't have any CB Drop installed, unless the dealer did it or something
I'm surprised the dealer didn't notice that or question it... It's the 2 silver cylinders on either side of the CB mount. They space it down about an inch making the angle from the transfer case to the CB steeper and could be causing issues. It's doubtful the dealer would install one of those on a new truck plus it's nice and shiney like it was installed recently.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Trucker

503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I'm surprised the dealer didn't notice that or question it... It's the 2 silver cylinders on either side of the CB mount. They space it down about an inch making the angle from the transfer case to the CB steeper and could be causing issues. It's doubtful the dealer would install one of those on a new truck plus it's nice and shiney like it was installed recently.
Hmm well maybe the dealer installed that along with shims and forgot to take that out? I'm not sure, but I do feel like it wasn't there before.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I had an OME drop kit put on my truck and was certainly less than what you have on yours and I only have a 2" lift. I still had take off shudder and just recently went to a one piece drive shaft that cured my shudder. I still have vibes, most noticeably between 60-70kph. I'm getting new wheels and rubber tomorrow so I'll see if that makes any difference(balance issues with current set). If not, I may go back to the driveline place and see if a double cardan joint might make a difference.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
There are some tricks in this page: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml

You'll have to measure you driveline angles to find the problem. It's best to split the difference on the angles. Ie. shim the rear axle and the carrier bearing to bring both half shafts as close to equal as possible.