Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Ready to install new Suspension, but have questions.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
Ready to install new Suspension, but have questions.

Hey all, I now have all the parts for my suspension swap on my 04 D-Cab, but have a few questions. I am putting Toytec coilovers on the front and Alcan 5 leaf springs and Bilstein 5100s on the rear. I currently have Monroes with a Readylift leveling kit in the front and the factory springs with a Readylift 1" block in the back.

I have read in all the threads not to go over 3 inches of lift from stock on the front. Well, do I consider stock to be my current height minus the amount of the spacer lift, or do I just need to install everything, look at my CV angles, and take a WAG to say it is okay? I realize subtracting the amount of space lift seems obvious, but I have no idea how much droop my TRD springs had when I installed them on the new shocks.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
VSC blows
MJF will become famous soon enoughMJF will become famous soon enough

Army: 82nd Airborne
MJF's Tacoma Gallery
I would consider stock your current height minus the spacer. The good thing is the coilovers are easy to adjust your ride height.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
brs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura aboutbrs127s has a spectacular aura about
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. I guess I won't worry about any sagging that may exist in the springs and check the CV angles once I get the coilovers installed.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
brs127s's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I got the rear leaf packs installed, but didn't get around to the coilovers on the front due to issues when installing the leaf packs. When I tried removing the shackle from the frame mount, rather than rotating and pushing it out, I tried driving it out with a hammer. It messed up the end of my top shackle bolt. I couldn't find the correct die to straighten up the threads. I went to the hardware store to get a new nut. While there they had a universal die tool, so I thought I would give it a shot. I ended up cutting off about 1/4" off the end of the top shackle bolt, then cleaned the threads with the universal die. I probably could have just used the universal die to clean up the threads, but I just had it in my head to cut the end off.

Now my next question. Should I replace the shackle (I know I can't get just the shackle bolt) since I cut the bolt off? I can't see it being shorter being a problem, as I still have 2 or 3 threads sticking out the back side of the nut. I torqued the bolt to factory specs with no issues, so I can't imagine the nut backing off. I know the bolt was a hardened bolt, because it took some time to cut through it with a cut-off wheel.

Thanks!