Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

fender extension requirements for new york state?

Old 08-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
fender extension requirements for new york state?

I was talking to a Jeep owner tonight and he said he got in trouble for not having those rubber fender flares on his Jeep after installing a lift and bigger (wider) tires.
Does anyone know details on the laws on this for NY state?

I saw the link to the site liftlaws.com, but its very vague. I tried searching on google, but it comes up with the same infomation that people "think they dont have a law" but no definitive answers.

Some dude told me that its a law to have a tonneau cover or cap on a pick-up in NYC unless its registered a commercial vehicle. another one of those laws i have no clue about.
NYC is thee worst state in the world when it comes to permits, laws, rules, regulations, codes and any other piece of legislation they can come up with in order fo rthe public to have to pay more money to the govt.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
1) NYC isn't a state.
2) There are laws for commercial vehicals that are very vague:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 375.25(a)
On and after the first day of January, nineteen hundred
seventy-four it shall be unlawful to operate on any public highway or
street in this state any tractor, commercial motor vehicle, combination
of a commercial motor vehicle and trailer, or combination of a
truck-tractor and semi-trailer which is not so constructed or equipped
as reasonably to bar water or other road surface substances from being
thrown by the rearmost wheels beyond the extreme rear of the vehicle or
combination of vehicles, and to minimize side spray.
3) All trucks are automatically registered as commercial in NYS. The rules for swapping back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Part 106.6 (c)
Pickup Trucks: You can register a pickup truck in the passenger class if the pickup truck complies with all of these requirements:
  • The pickup truck has an unladen weight of less than 5,000 pounds and is used for non-commercial purposes.
  • The pickup truck does not have any business advertisements.
  • A permanent camper top completely encloses the truck bed, and which has one or more side windows.
  • The pickup truck has seats seat fittings, or permanent camping equipment that are installed in the truck bed. "Camping equipment" indicates that you have a permanent bed, a permanent stove, or a permanent refrigerator in the vehicle. If this equipment is removed and you use the pickup truck, you must register the pickup truck as a commercial vehicle.
Hope those help you.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
Very Nice !
packfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud ofpackfan88 has much to be proud of

packfan88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
1) NYC isn't a state.
2) There are laws for commercial vehicals that are very vague:

3) All trucks are automatically registered as commercial in NYS. The rules for swapping back:[/LIST]Hope those help you.

lol @ #1 ...in NY, there are two sets of rules the rules for the State of New York and rules for the City of New York. Just cause it applies in NYS doesnt mean it applies in NYC. You can make a right on red for example. But only when outside NYC (unless otherwise posted).

So a lot of rules related to driving and your vehicle may be different. Things like bumper height, weight of the vehicle, rules for driving, ect ect. I can totally see a law that says in the city you have to have the bed covered unless its a commercial vehicle. They try and get you any way they can.

i was hoping someone here also lives in the city limits and might have been thru this already after they got a lift and bigger tires. When they went for an inspection they might have gotten the rules from the dude running the place. Some of them can be really strict. Ive seen people denied for reasons like chipped windsheild and "worn tires" (barely worn). I almost failed for tint on an older car. They claim in the last 5-6 years the State has come down hard on inspectors letting cars pass when they shoulda failed. My guy sad they sent in a undercover once.

I am gonna swing by the inspection station after work and see what he says.