Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

1.75" lift need advice

Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattgecko's Tacoma Gallery
1.75" lift need advice

Hi TW
I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4, I plan to off road in a few times a year. Looking to lift the truck 1.75".

Did some reading and I'm thinking 5100 front and 5150 rear (10" travel 255/70 valve). Also read I need new bump stops for the rear. What size and where do I get them?

AAL or Wheelers 3 leaf progressives? What do you guys recommend? I don't haul heavy loads.

Can I keep everything thing else stock? springs? etc?

Looking to keep the ride quality as close to stock or smoother if possible.

I am on a budge but will save for the right parts.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
wolfman00 is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
wolfman00's Tacoma Gallery
for the rear i would go with 170/60. I called camburg and talked to them about it. they told me that since the rears of tacomas and rangers are so light, that they found 170/60 worked the best.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
I went with 1.75 and no rear tsb. is perfectly level now. still have stock springs and stock leaf springs. the double cab doesnt have as much of a rake as the access cabs. I would go with .85 setting to level it out. if you get the rear tsb or aal I would go with 1.75 up front

check out my build

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ere-build.html
Old 08-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Super Taco
mattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattgecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
I went with 1.75 and no rear tsb. is perfectly level now. still have stock springs and stock leaf springs. the double cab doesnt have as much of a rake as the access cabs. I would go with .85 setting to level it out. if you get the rear tsb or aal I would go with 1.75 up front

check out my build

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ere-build.html

Nice truck, love those wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
for the rear i would go with 170/60. I called camburg and talked to them about it. they told me that since the rears of tacomas and rangers are so light, that they found 170/60 worked the best.
Thanks for tip.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #5
Super Taco

My wife just cleared me to spend $1200. Should I get an OME complete lift kit with the 885 springs?
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgecko View Post
My wife just cleared me to spend $1200. Should I get an OME complete lift kit with the 885 springs?
That will lift you closer to 3"
Old 08-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Super Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That will lift you closer to 3"
OK thanks. Wheeler website didn't say so I thought it was adjustable. I don't want to go that high.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #8
Super Taco

Now I'm confused....

Called motorsport and they said I should not get an AAL only the 5100 fr / 5150 rr, to achieve the 1.5"-2.0" lift.

Does that sound correct?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now I'm confused....

Called motorsport and they said I should not get an AAL only the 5100 fr / 5150 rr, to achieve the 1.5"-2.0" lift.

Does that sound correct?

if you lift it 2 inches in the front and leave the back stock you should have a little bro lean. (front a little nose high)
Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Now I'm confused....

Does that sound correct?
Rear shocks don't provide lift , the AAL does that
Old 08-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
The Wheeler's and Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL's are great. They claim to lift 1.5" but you can get closer to 2" of lift if you leave the factory overload leaf in place.

As OZ stated, rear shocks do not provide lift, you'd need an AAL or block for that.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Super Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post

As OZ stated, rear shocks do not provide lift, you'd need an AAL or block for that.

Thats why I was confused. The Icon AAL kit ($179.00) says it lifts 1.5" but the guy I spoke with said 2.5" and I don't need it if I am only lifting 1.5".

This is what I am going to order:
Also need stem adapters for the 5150's (according to the guy I spoke with).

(1.5"-2.0" is my goal, 2.5" is ok as long as I dont have to replace anything else).

Is the valving and shock length ok?

Attached Thumbnails
1.75" lift need advice-lift-order.jpg  
Old 08-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats why I was confused. The Icon AAL kit ($179.00) says it lifts 1.5" but the guy I spoke with said 2.5" and I don't need it if I am only lifting 1.5".

This is what I am going to order:
Also need stem adapters for the 5150's (according to the guy I spoke with).

(1.5"-2.0" is my goal, 2.5" is ok as long as I dont have to replace anything else).

Is the valving and shock length ok?

Hi Matt,

You talked to me on the phone. I think were mis-communicating a bit...

You mentioned not really wanting more than 2" of lift over all, but wanted it to be level. On a 2011, if you just set the front shocks to 1.75"...the truck will be pretty much level. No need for the rear AAL in this case. That's what I was trying explain...

Also, if you're not doing a bunch of wheeling, you don't really need 5150s in the rear. The 5100s would be fine.

We're getting more 5100s tomorrow, so you can place your order online, or over the phone anytime. Feel free to call us or PM me, if you still have any questions...

Thank you,
Marco @ DSM
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #14
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
matt,
down south motorsports helped me out a lot and what I did on mine was the 1.75 up front and it is perfectly level but just remember the access cab has a bigger rake, the back sits up pretty high,

with your double cab there is a little more weight towards the rear so I would go with .85 with 5100 in the front and rear

talk to this guy he has the same setup as you do with pics of before and after
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/members/ppm.html
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #15
RoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to beholdRoyR is a splendid one to behold

RoyR's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tsb-5100s.html
Old 08-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #16
Super Taco

It was my confusion, sorry Marco. Thanks I'll skip the AAL and just do the shocks at 1.75. in FR.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
If your doing the 5100s set at 1.75 you do not need the rear AAL unless your looking to have the back higher than the front. Granted if you have the non TSB rear you may be a little high in the front which in that case I would just do the TSB as it will save you some coin and you will definitely want it if you ever haul anything in the bed. My DRZ 400 would cause my rear to drop so much that it would have the bro lean and forget when hauling mulch or anything with real weight. I just installed my 5100s today and have the rear TSB and my truck sits perfectly level now. Rides no different too which is an added bonus. Love the way the truck sits now.