Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Can someone verify this assembly?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Can someone verify this assembly?

I am about to compress my coils and mount the strut, but I have a couple of questions...

1. Does this look right?

Inner bushings

Top plate with bushings

Instructions

If you notice in the instructions, there is another piece (indicated with the arrow) that I don't seem to have. I have two "kits", including the top plate and bushings for each side, and all of the nuts, bushings, etc... are in sealed bags. Neither kit had that piece. Also, that little silver sleeve (furthest to the left in the top picture) will probably fit, but it's gonna be tight and probably won't come off. That's why I wanted to verify this stuff before assembling the whole thing only to find it's wrong.

2. Everyone here says that "stacking lifts" is bad. However, the instructions for the adjustable coilover state that I should set the 5100 to the .85" setting, unless I want less than 2" of lift, then set it to stock ride.

Help!
Old 10-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Looks to be right. Your running a different top plate. As long as you have a bushing and backing plate under it, thats how it should be.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
The red arrow part...look at your dust boot on the shock.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
The red arrow part...look at your dust boot on the shock.
LOL, I thought he was talking about the bushing and the backing plate.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
I thought about that and took a look, but when I put that dust boot on, there isn't enough room left on the shaft to start threading the top bolt...
You'll be fine leaveing them off
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't remember if that part is also on the front.I am sure it's on the rear shock.That piece is supposed to be half way in the boot.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridingontrd View Post
I don't remember if that part is also on the front.I am sure it's on the rear shock.That piece is supposed to be half way in the boot.
My rears have it, But I dont think I have ever seen it on the front. Generally, the front shocks dont have a rubber boot, as it can flex into the spring. They usually use a plastic "Dust cover" to protect from debrise.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
what about the strut height setting?
How high are you looking to go?
Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
The adjustable coilovers say they will adjust from 1.5" to 3.5". I wanted to go to the full 3.5". However, will setting this to .85 make me go to 4.35" or is the 3.5" supposed to be WITH the .85"?
If you go to 3.5" wave "Bye bye" to your CV's
Old 10-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #17

Quote:
The adjustable coilovers say they will adjust from 1.5" to 3.5". I wanted to go to the full 3.5". However, will setting this to .85 make me go to 4.35" or is the 3.5" supposed to be WITH the .85"?
You don't add in the .85. Ref the second line of the instal instruct.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Really? Does it increase the angle too much or something?
Yes. At 3" your pushing it. Above that, and carry extras