Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Two quick questions

Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Two quick questions

Ok. If you have some coil overs of some sort and you crank them up to max ride hight, why does the ride become super stiff and ruff? The trucks weight did not change. The springs compretion did not change did it? aren't you just changing whare the spring is on the shock? Second question. I was dead set on getting the Icon coilovers for my 06 prerunner. Then on All pro's web sight I saw some Fox RR coilovers that come preset to 3" of lift, exactly what I need. I know the Icons can give 0" to 3.5" of lift. If I set the Icons at 3" will it be stiff as hell? Like I said the Fox coilovers come pre set to 3", whitch makes me think 3" is more in the middle of their operating range. For a 3" lift wich would be better. And yes I was the guy running the pole on Icon and Kings, but I realized that if I got the kings I would have to put them at max lift and I don't want to put what ever I get to max and have just as stiff of a ride as I do with my coil spacers.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:06 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearskill View Post
Ok. If you have some coil overs of some sort and you crank them up to max ride hight, why does the ride become super stiff and ruff? The trucks weight did not change. The springs compretion did not change did it? aren't you just changing whare the spring is on the shock?
The coils on your truck are a *compression spring*. When you compress them - they build up potential energy. The more you compress them, the more potential energy they build up.

In other words - the further you compress your spring, the more upward force there is, the more weight it can hold, and the less 'dampening' it has.

A stock coil can support your truck at a certain 'compressed rate' (the spring will only compress a certain amount while still having plenty of room for dampening and cushioning while you drive). When you compress the coil further - the less amount it'll compress (that's where the LIFT comes in) and the less amount of dampening ability it has (stiff/rough ride).

Hard to explain...