1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Two quick questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Oct 23, 2008 at 3:51 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Ok. If you have some coil overs of some sort and you crank them up to max ride hight, why does the ride become super stiff and ruff? The trucks weight did not change. The springs compretion did not change did it? aren't you just changing whare the spring is on the shock? Second question. I was dead set on getting the Icon coilovers for my 06 prerunner. Then on All pro's web sight I saw some Fox RR coilovers that come preset to 3" of lift, exactly what I need. I know the Icons can give 0" to 3.5" of lift. If I set the Icons at 3" will it be stiff as hell? Like I said the Fox coilovers come pre set to 3", whitch makes me think 3" is more in the middle of their operating range. For a 3" lift wich would be better. And yes I was the guy running the pole on Icon and Kings, but I realized that if I got the kings I would have to put them at max lift and I don't want to put what ever I get to max and have just as stiff of a ride as I do with my coil spacers. :rasta:

2. Oct 23, 2008 at 4:06 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The coils on your truck are a *compression spring*. When you compress them - they build up potential energy. The more you compress them, the more potential energy they build up.

In other words - the further you compress your spring, the more upward force there is, the more weight it can hold, and the less 'dampening' it has.

A stock coil can support your truck at a certain 'compressed rate' (the spring will only compress a certain amount while still having plenty of room for dampening and cushioning while you drive). When you compress the coil further - the less amount it'll compress (that's where the LIFT comes in) and the less amount of dampening ability it has (stiff/rough ride).

Hard to explain...

Products Discussed in

To Top