1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What lift to run? spacers, Uca, Coilovers, Spindles.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by hockeypoor, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Oct 23, 2008 at 12:26 PM
    hockeypoor

hockeypoor [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast of California
    Vehicle:
    Speedway Blue All stock Prerunner
    Ok so I read the stick Q&A and still have some questions.
    I have an 06 DC LB 17in wheels trd sport with the rear spring TSB done.
    I want to lift it and was going just use the 3in spacers and rear blocks. The sticky says that this may cause my truck to WONDER on road. I don't want that as I coach hockey and travel a LOT.
    I believe this would be caused ny the angle on the control arms being wrong. Is that right?
    Next I started thinking that doing the coilovers would just cause the same problem if it is an a-arm thing.
    So here it is.
    Does anyone have the spindle lift? Wouldn't that keep the a-arms in stock location and if so mean no on road WONDER.
    Please advise!
    Also any pic's of the 4in spindle lited trucks would help.

2. Oct 23, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I believe the wander you speak of is from the stock UCAs being at a weird angle. Total Chaos UCAs will solve that problem for 600(ish) bucks.

3. Oct 23, 2008 at 3:41 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    To do a spindle lift you need coilovers I thought. Spindles are also more designed for a long travel set up. You would be fine with just a set of coilovers. Thats what I run and no aftermarket UCA's and my truck is just fine.

4. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:30 PM
    hockeypoor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok let me change this a little. Do I have to buy the UCA if i do 3in spacers? I want to just do 3in spacers. I can't afford the UCA's but dont want my truck to wonder all over the highway. Would like to hear from some of you without UCA's and 3in spacers.

5. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Wonder != wander. Sorry...it was bothering me. :p

A spindle lift should not require new UCA's since it keeps everything in place and just moves the location of the wheel down. (to my understanding, at least)

A spacer lift will result in the same alignment problems as new coilovers. nd should jump in here eventually since he's running a lift with stock UCAs on his rig.

6. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:39 PM
    hockeypoor

Member:
    Vehicle:
    sorrry I was wondering about my truck wandering. Better?

7. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Much. :laugh:

8. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:42 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I put the 3" lift on mine..No spacers tho. I'm running coils & billys. I will need new UCA's to correct alignment, and to prevent the factory UCA's from rubbing the springs at full droop..Saving for them as we speak. lol

9. Oct 24, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I have a 3" Tuff Country EZride suspension lift (spacers in front, AALs in rear)... With alignment and balancing AFTER installation - the only thing that changed is a slightly higher center of gravity (not much roll still) and a taller truck.

That said, I don't have UCAs and I don't have a prob - BUT I plan on getting the UCAs just because. :)

10. Oct 24, 2008 at 1:12 PM
    1BlkT

1BlkT Mod'n on a Budget

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Sport Double Cab
    Allied 4'' Spindles, Sway A Way 2.5 Coilovers, Donahoe Remote Reservoir Shocks w/ Deaver 11Pack Leafs, Goodyear Duratrac 285's, Pro Comp Series 8128, Recessed Grill w/Hella 500's behind, Tint, Black TRD Skid Plate, Debadged, Tailgate Hose Clamp, Weathertech Mats, Aero Turbine 2525XL Exhaust, Volant Intake, RETRO'D Headlights by Yosh2000
    I have Allied's 4'' Spindle and I'm running a stock uca with no problems. The spindle gives you the height but retains the stock suspension. I actually saw a set for sale on racedezert.com but I think they wanted like $950, definitely pricey.

11. Oct 24, 2008 at 4:48 PM
    Bearskill

Bearskill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    I have the toytec 3" spacers and still have the stock UCA. I don't realy have a wander. On a brand new road I can't tell a thing. But on I-80 in calli whare the highway sucks, the bumps throw me all over the place. Stiff as hell to. Im saving for the Icons and TC UCA. But ya. I would wait and save for a better lift than the coil spacer. All it is is a chunk of metal that shoves all your stock shit down. Do, your Taco right mang!!!;)

Products Discussed in

To Top