Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What lift to run? spacers, Uca, Coilovers, Spindles.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
hockeypoor will become famous soon enough
hockeypoor's Tacoma Gallery
What lift to run? spacers, Uca, Coilovers, Spindles.

Ok so I read the stick Q&A and still have some questions.
I have an 06 DC LB 17in wheels trd sport with the rear spring TSB done.
I want to lift it and was going just use the 3in spacers and rear blocks. The sticky says that this may cause my truck to WONDER on road. I don't want that as I coach hockey and travel a LOT.
I believe this would be caused ny the angle on the control arms being wrong. Is that right?
Next I started thinking that doing the coilovers would just cause the same problem if it is an a-arm thing.
So here it is.
Does anyone have the spindle lift? Wouldn't that keep the a-arms in stock location and if so mean no on road WONDER.
Please advise!
Also any pic's of the 4in spindle lited trucks would help.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
I believe the wander you speak of is from the stock UCAs being at a weird angle. Total Chaos UCAs will solve that problem for 600(ish) bucks.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
Pat will become famous soon enough

Pat's Tacoma Gallery
To do a spindle lift you need coilovers I thought. Spindles are also more designed for a long travel set up. You would be fine with just a set of coilovers. Thats what I run and no aftermarket UCA's and my truck is just fine.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Ok let me change this a little. Do I have to buy the UCA if i do 3in spacers? I want to just do 3in spacers. I can't afford the UCA's but dont want my truck to wonder all over the highway. Would like to hear from some of you without UCA's and 3in spacers.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypoor View Post
Ok let me change this a little. Do I have to buy the UCA if i do 3in spacers? I want to just do 3in spacers. I can't afford the UCA's but dont want my truck to wonder all over the highway. Would like to hear from some of you without UCA's and 3in spacers.
Wonder != wander. Sorry...it was bothering me.

A spindle lift should not require new UCA's since it keeps everything in place and just moves the location of the wheel down. (to my understanding, at least)

A spacer lift will result in the same alignment problems as new coilovers. nd should jump in here eventually since he's running a lift with stock UCAs on his rig.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
sorrry I was wondering about my truck wandering. Better?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypoor View Post
sorrry I was wondering about my truck wandering. Better?
Much.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #8
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I put the 3" lift on mine..No spacers tho. I'm running coils & billys. I will need new UCA's to correct alignment, and to prevent the factory UCA's from rubbing the springs at full droop..Saving for them as we speak. lol
Old 10-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
"Mark It Zero"
Agent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAgent475 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 0261
Agent475's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" Tuff Country EZride suspension lift (spacers in front, AALs in rear)... With alignment and balancing AFTER installation - the only thing that changed is a slightly higher center of gravity (not much roll still) and a taller truck.

That said, I don't have UCAs and I don't have a prob - BUT I plan on getting the UCAs just because.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Mod'n on a Budget
1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed1BlkT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ty
1BlkT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
To do a spindle lift you need coilovers I thought. Spindles are also more designed for a long travel set up. You would be fine with just a set of coilovers. Thats what I run and no aftermarket UCA's and my truck is just fine.
I have Allied's 4'' Spindle and I'm running a stock uca with no problems. The spindle gives you the height but retains the stock suspension. I actually saw a set for sale on racedezert.com but I think they wanted like $950, definitely pricey.
Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #11
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
I have the toytec 3" spacers and still have the stock UCA. I don't realy have a wander. On a brand new road I can't tell a thing. But on I-80 in calli whare the highway sucks, the bumps throw me all over the place. Stiff as hell to. Im saving for the Icons and TC UCA. But ya. I would wait and save for a better lift than the coil spacer. All it is is a chunk of metal that shoves all your stock shit down. Do, your Taco right mang!!!